PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just have to vent.....

Aronis
June 8th, 2012, 01:25
This is long, but I really did this to organize my one recollection.

So I took my car in for routine service and to have one intercooler replaced.

I had an appointment at the local Audi dealership for Tuesday, May 15.

On Monday morning, May 14, when I tried to start the car, nothing happened, just dash lights, no noise, so I tried three times and it started. I dropped off my son at HS, and figured I'd better go to the dealer a day early and leave the car there since I was suspecting a starter issue and did not want to get stuck in the work parking garage.

I stopped by to drop off the car a day earlier than my appointment, and spoke with the service rep and told him that I had an appointment for Tuesday, but would be leaving the car Monday because of the starter issue, and added to the list, 'check out the starter system.'

So the list:

Timing Belt and the rollers and etc.
WaterPump (yes a metal one LOL)
Thermostat
Re-align one side of the exhaust
Spark plugs, oil change, filter.
Figure out the starter problem, and repair.

(I had transmission and differentials fluids changed last October when I had a new seal put on one of the front drive shafts).

I get picked up, and go off to work.

I went back to check on the progress that Wednesday (May 16) and the car is still sitting outside. I asked why...they were backed up. I told the service guy I had an appointment in Cicero at that Audi dealer for the same service request and they always honor an appointment. So that lit a fire under them, I guess they figured I could still drive the car away to go elsewhere, and I was told they would start working on my car the next day. Some fire...right....

I had requested that the intercooler be replaced and expected it ordered on the day I dropped off the car. The mechanic had already confirmed the leak when the car was in last October for the water leak and transmission seal.

So the fire went out I guess, since nothing was done that week.

I went by on Tuesday, May 22, and so far he had the car in service position and the timing belt was about 1/2 off.

On Wednesday, they called recommending that they replace the cam seals. I agreed, please do, $1400 more.

On Thursday, May 24, I dropped by and the mechanic had the passenger side cam seal finished.

That next Tuesday, May 29, I dropped by and found that nothing more had been done.

I went back Wednesday and spoke with the mechanic and he showed me the progress again, no change since the previous Thursday, but he was confident that by Thursday afternoon (May 31) he would have most of it finished as they were waiting on the intercooler. So I was hopeful.

Friday, June 1st, I emailed the service manager, and wondered how much the mechanic had finished on Thursday. He wrote back on Monday, June 4, writing that the mechanic had worked on my car for most of the day on Thursday.

June 4th I also found out that the intercooler was on back order, so I spoke with the parts department and was told that they had started their search on the 31st (16 days after I brought the car in) and could not find one in the US. The plan was to get one from Germany and that the manufactured would have to MAKE ONE to order, which would take two weeks (Ya RIGHT). I told them to forget the intercooler, it’s a minor leak, just finish the rest and we will deal with the intercooler another day. I.E. I’ll buy the part and DIY at home.

I went by that afternoon and found the passenger side valve cover off...not much else.....

June 6 I got a text message from the mechanic. Lo and behold an intercooler arrived. They found one in New Mexico or somewhere, who knows the real story.

I went by Wednesday afternoon and was told by the mechanic it was his intention to work only on my car all day Thursday, and he hoped to have it ready for a test run in the afternoon or at latest Friday. Great!

So today, June 7, I went by and found that little had been done. The driver’s side valve cover was back on, so I guess the Cam seals were finished on that side.

I spoke with the mechanic by phone this afternoon. I could sense the frustration he was having with his service manager and I expressed my frustration as well. I did not want to get him in a bind with his boss, as my impression was that he was being pushed around between other jobs and was not being allowed to WORK ON MY CAR, you know first come first serve and all. He is a great mechanic and I have all the faith in his work. I have been reluctant to make a big issue for fear that he would be then ‘rushed by his boss’ to get that gd car out of our garage, etc....

He’s the kind of mechanic who can take a box of spare parts and make a 911 turbo, from scratch.

I like the service manager, he’s a nice guy and I really think he is working hard to restore the reputation of the local Audi dealership service department, but....

So here we are 17 working days into the job and there is still a good two days work left, if he is allowed to work on my car.

They service department here in Binghamton has had a real problem with negative publicity, and the prior dealership was pulled by Audi and VW and sold to another larger dealer probably because of that. I know that Mercedes pulled out of the Binghamton market for some reasons (Sales?) and Porsche also pulled out of this market reportedly due to too many service complaints, but who knows the real reasons. People still don’t trust the building I guess. I have tried to have faith in the staff there, but I’m at the end of my rope.

End Rant.

CornersWell
June 8th, 2012, 02:42
Sorry to hear. We all have stories, too, and can relate.

CW

kday
June 8th, 2012, 02:55
Not to rub salt in the wound, but are they really charging $1400 for new cam seals during a timing belt job??

na1mt
June 8th, 2012, 03:05
17 days....ha. My NSX has been at the turbo shop in Michigan for almost two years. I have come to the conclusion that all shops suck.

Justin9212
June 8th, 2012, 03:47
If you feel like taking a long drive to the Buffalo area for service and don't mind an independent shop working on your car, I would be more than willing. I honor my appointments. I know these cars. My labor rates are about half of the dealer. The amounts they are charging you are not in any way justified.

kismetcapitan
June 8th, 2012, 03:54
I like the indy mechanic I found; such shops are few and far between. He doesn't take on that many new customers; he has a pool of cars he works on, and that keeps him going. I think he's more into quality of life than trying to get as much work as possible; when I was referred to him, I was told "he may not take on your car". But I guess an RS6 was interesting enough - his bread and butter are classic Porsches and Audis, so he looks for interesting cars to work on.

As long as all the parts are in, things went fast. Plus, they're within walking distance of my condo, so I checked on them nearly every day :P

One thing I *always* do is buy all parts myself, and when I drop off the car, there's also a complete set of parts. Not all shops like this btw, but it does allow them to start work and not get hung up on waiting on a part.

bmlee007
June 8th, 2012, 05:03
This is disappointing to hear. I spend about 300 days a year on the road, mostly in my A6, and have visited a few shops in the north east. So far, I'm 3 for 4 in getting very good to excellent service when needed. Unfortunately, the -1 is my home dealer. Not because of bad service, but they are lower volume and don't have quite the stock room to support the area.

Did they at least offer a loaner for your wait?

4everRS
June 8th, 2012, 05:17
Sorry to hear it Mike. Hope it all gets resolved. The cam seal are under 100 bucks. Maybe they replaced the cam adjuster?

Nearest dealer to me is 100 miles. Maybe that's a good thing.

Bigglezworth
June 8th, 2012, 05:43
Stories like this are the specific reason I elect to do all my own wrenching. Sad to see those that have no desire, or limited knowledge stuck in situations like this. Sorry to hear.

June 8th, 2012, 05:47
As much of a pain it usually is, this is why I do my own work as I really hate to pay someone to learn how to work on my RS and then do a poor job. Hate to see the sticker on the one Audi I/C, probably the same as a set of Wag's.

Curious as to the total....

MaxRS6
June 8th, 2012, 12:23
Dang - I feel ya pain and have been there multiple times. The techs have a "bag full of excuses/replies". Once they have pulled your car into their "black hole"- it is difficult to pull it out of the tech vortex swirl. I"ve heard the ol "the manager won't let me work on your car" and the manager saying at the same time "I'm ridng the tech to get your car done" Twilight conversations. The same type of story (a couple of times) led me to picket our local Audi dealer for their piss poor service (i.e. took them over 5 weeks to determine a turbo was shot).

Good luck and I hope you get your car back repaired correctly soon.

LIRS6
June 8th, 2012, 19:45
wow, sorry Mike. Now I feel guilty about my post of y'day ... 115k service incl timing belt/water pump/rollers etc etc .. in Monday, back Wednesday .. and an Audi loaner thrown in. I'd say you are expressing too many nice things about service managers and mechanics who have demonstrated nothing but incompetence and indifference. Find a new shop FAST!

ttboost
June 9th, 2012, 01:08
These threads bum me out...as most have said, EXACTLY why my car will never see the inside of a dealership..unless I don't own it anymore...Good luck Mike and hope you get results and SOON!!!

mdegracia
June 9th, 2012, 12:27
Definintely shitty. I hate stealerships.

I do pretty much all my own work, with the exception of tranny work (Tozo took care of me there). When I have issues above my level of expertise, I employ my good friend, the owner of Upstate Imports who is a very trusted alternative to the local dealers. If you are ever in need, he'd be work a shot over going to the Audi dealer in Cicero...they are just as bad as the next dealer, IMO.

http://upstateimports.com/Home.html