PDA

View Full Version : rear window lockout switch "repair"

kismetcapitan
June 7th, 2012, 08:17
now that I'm nitpicking every detail over my 92K mile car, I've decided to fix the rear window lockout switch, which hasn't worked since I got the car.

If you press it down, the rear windows can be operated from the rear. But if you let go, they lockout. There's no toggle between the two....(unless, was it DESIGNED that way???)

Anyways, I bought a used driver's switch set and...same deal. So either the replacement switch was also broken, or this was a really poor design (rear passengers asking permission to open a window, and then you have to hold a switch while they adjust it?)

So I fixed that. Took some superglue and glued the switch in the depressed position. Solved! :hahahehe:

Justin9212
June 7th, 2012, 13:35
It is a very common issue. Most people either take the spring out so it stays down, or wedge a piece of paper between the button and the surround. I think super glue would leave a white residue mess all over.

Elevens
June 7th, 2012, 15:28
Took some superglue and glued the switch in the depressed position. Solved! :hahahehe:

Good Idea!! Didn't think of that. I was going to buy a replacement, but that's a cheaper alternative. Who needs that lockout anyway. These damn Audi's all have the same simple faults. The next thing starting to fade in my car is my Driver Information System (DIS) in the Center of the dash. I'll have to send that out soon. All of you fellow RS6ers be ready for that, It will happen. That being said, I love my car though....

June 7th, 2012, 17:01
All my A6 switches are that way and thought they were built that way. I thought that was too dumb of a design to be true.

SteveKen
June 7th, 2012, 22:49
Sorry for being lazy, but I do recall that someone posted a fix on audizine, audiworld or quattroworld.

It involved cannibalizing an off the shelf switch from Radio Shack and maybe some soldering? Try and search for it.

kismetcapitan
June 7th, 2012, 23:36
meh, too hard :P

- put a screwdriver between the button and housing to create a bit of space.
- I used brush-on superglue to control the amount.
- push the button down, and then wedge it in place with the screwdriver on the other side of the button. wait about 10-15min.
- if there is any glue residue, pure acetone will wipe it off. done!