PDA

View Full Version : Paint - what brand is best for the RS6?

NSU RS6
June 5th, 2012, 16:22
In preparation for painting my hopefully soon forthcoming carbon lip spoiler, I thought I would hit the list up for paint recommendations. The RS6 used paint that is rather unique when compared to that used for the regular A6 models, being pearl (in the case of Ebony and Daytona at least), and having a slightly larger flake in the metallic. Has anyone here successfully used a certain brand of paint? Such as Glasurit, Sikkens, or even PPG?

Any suggestions appreciated.

johnnie27
June 5th, 2012, 23:10
In preparation for painting my hopefully soon forthcoming carbon lip spoiler, I thought I would hit the list up for paint recommendations. The RS6 used paint that is rather unique when compared to that used for the regular A6 models, being pearl (in the case of Ebony and Daytona at least), and having a slightly larger flake in the metallic. Has anyone here successfully used a certain brand of paint? Such as Glasurit, Sikkens, or even PPG?

Any suggestions appreciated.

the avus silver has

4 pearls (pink , blue , white, and another) cant recall
2 metallics (square and round)

what clr is your car

NSU RS6
June 5th, 2012, 23:44
what clr is your car

Daytona. With that recipe - that Avus has to be pricey paint.

johnnie27
June 5th, 2012, 23:55
Daytona. With that recipe - that Avus has to be pricey paint.

dupont

daytona paint formula is mile long....my painter said the paint companys tinters dont even come close to the colour , as we disovered with the AVUS colour formula they gave us....it was horrible....anyway i'm sure you'll get a pro to paint it , so yu'll be fine

NSU RS6
June 6th, 2012, 01:06
dupont

daytona paint formula is mile long....my painter said the paint companys tinters dont even come close to the colour , as we disovered with the AVUS colour formula they gave us....it was horrible....anyway i'm sure you'll get a pro to paint it , so yu'll be fine

Great. I am sure that it will be about the priciest paint they sell too. The last car I painted (1981 Scirocco S) was Cirrus Gray, a color amazingly close to Daytona. But the paint companies had not sold any in a long time, so their "recipe" wasn't even close. It took 4 test panels to get it right. How many test panels did it take to get your Avus right?

johnnie27
June 6th, 2012, 02:53
Great. I am sure that it will be about the priciest paint they sell too. The last car I painted (1981 Scirocco S) was Cirrus Gray, a color amazingly close to Daytona. But the paint companies had not sold any in a long time, so their "recipe" wasn't even close. It took 4 test panels to get it right. How many test panels did it take to get your Avus right?

wow thats a cool old car man!

so my paint man, got the colour quite ok in (afternoon light and fluro light) but in direct sun light it was completley different as it takes a few mins for some of the pearls to react etc..he got it on the 5th or 6th spray out..that took 4 weeks due to the lack of sun!! (winter here) he loves the colour on the car said it really suits it ..but at the end he was measuring white pear to 0.1 of a gram!! i'm not a painter but it really was someting to watch tha paint mixing process..very impressive to me anyway

and last week he touched up a guys Daytona Q7! wow hey

Stephencl
June 6th, 2012, 03:55
I like sikkens, glasurit, and Standox. Not sure I would use anything else...just had some touch up work done on my new beast, and the match is spectacular...paint was glasurit. I believe that Standox was the factory choice back in 2003.

Stephen

Amulet-S6
June 6th, 2012, 14:37
Emailed the body shop that repainted my front end after deer strike. They take care of all the high end cars in town:

"We used Autocolor waterbase called Aquabase. It is a European brand that has been bought up by PPG. We tried all the major brands, and it works best for us. Now if it wasn't so darn expensive!!!!"

Keep Smiling, Jim

repda503
August 21st, 2012, 20:15
Anybody know of a respected body shop near Portland, OR that can color match avus silver for my spoiler? I'm trying to find something fairly priced but I realize that might not be realistic :)

makaveli42
August 22nd, 2012, 22:37

must......have......those rims.....now!