PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running LaBree Downpipes?

Justin9212
June 3rd, 2012, 22:16
I am thinking I will, but not sure if anyone has experiance with them good or bad. Would like some review of some sort before I commit.

kismetcapitan
June 3rd, 2012, 23:12
are they cheaper than Millteks? So far as I can figure, a pipe is a pipe, although bad pipes can have bad welding, and a downpipe with a cracked weld would be a nightmare, as you can't exactly just go in there and swap it out without doing a lot of other things first to get to it.

That being said, it's usually exhaust manifolds that must be bulletproof; downpipes are past the turbo and see less intense heat.

kismetcapitan
June 3rd, 2012, 23:15
just took a look - I like split-pipe downpipes. The exhaust flow is kept separated from the wastegate gases, which I think helps the turbos be a little bit more responsive, as the gases entering the downpipe are less turbulent.

Justin9212
June 4th, 2012, 00:51
I know what they are. Lots of S4 guys raved about them years ago. Was not sure if any RS6 guys have run them. If not I am willing to experiment.

4everRS
June 4th, 2012, 01:37
Covertw12 had them installed by USP motorsports. I think there was a couple others. Covert said he liked them.

hahnmgh63
June 4th, 2012, 02:38
Maybe Covertw12 was the guy I was thinking of but I can't remember. I asked the question around a year ago and whoever it was that was running Labree said he like them but that the fit wasn't right on and needed a little work. Since they were running around $1995 + shipping at the time and I could Milltek's delivered all the way from Unit 20 in England for $1100 I went with the Milltek's and can say I had no installation problems and happy with the O2 sensor placement and the flange fitment, all welds looked perfect.

UrS6
June 4th, 2012, 18:27
Maybe Covertw12 was the guy I was thinking of but I can't remember. I asked the question around a year ago and whoever it was that was running Labree said he like them but that the fit wasn't right on and needed a little work. Since they were running around $1995 + shipping at the time and I could Milltek's delivered all the way from Unit 20 in England for $1100 I went with the Milltek's and can say I had no installation problems and happy with the O2 sensor placement and the flange fitment, all welds looked perfect.
I thought the Milltek DP was much more money than that. Is the $1100 one different than the ones I see advertised in the $3000 range? Maybe without cats?

hahnmgh63
June 4th, 2012, 18:54
The ones for $1100 are the Catless downpipes which can't seem to be found stateside, the only ones here seem to be the ones with the Race Cats for the $3000 you mention. $1900 difference sounds like someone is making a lot of money on those pipes. The $1100 includes shipping from Britain too which will vary a little depending on the exchange rate with the Pound.

UrS6
June 4th, 2012, 19:06
The ones for $1100 are the Catless downpipes which can't seem to be found stateside, the only ones here seem to be the ones with the Race Cats for the $3000 you mention. $1900 difference sounds like someone is making a lot of money on those pipes. The $1100 includes shipping from Britain too which will vary a little depending on the exchange rate with the Pound.
Is there any issue running the catless pipes? I assume CELs can be written out but what about emissions testing?

hahnmgh63
June 4th, 2012, 20:02
The Cat codes or at least Bank 1 in my case will show but I don't have to do emmisions testing where I live so that isn't a factor. I'm getting a custom tune from Eurocharged to take care of the Cat removal plus the Secondary Air Injection system which I also removed.

Justin9212
June 5th, 2012, 04:27
Who did you contact for the Miltek pipes? I looked and have not seen them anywhere catless, and unit20 does not have what I would call an easy way to order.

Elevens
June 5th, 2012, 04:53
Who did you contact for the Miltek pipes? I looked and have not seen them anywhere catless, and unit20 does not have what I would call an easy way to order.

Either Email or call Martin at Unit 20. Also Unless you are running a Milltek Exhaust system they may not connect directly to your existing Exhaust system without some kind of Reducer since the Milltek Race pipes are of slightly larger diameter than stock..............................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010356.jpg

Turbowned
July 13th, 2015, 21:02
I'm gonna necro this thread so I apologize, but does anyone think it would be possible to add 200 cell cats to the catless downpipes? I can get Random Technology compact metallic core 2.5" cats for ~$270 ea. Seems a lot more cost effective than paying $3200 for the catted version from Milltek. I'm certain the Random Tech cats are more compact overall than the ones included on the Milltek pipes, too.

Pic for reference:
http://www.randomtechnology.com/images/img_1.jpg

Dmb408
July 13th, 2015, 21:44
Wouldn't 100 cell be even cheaper...on my old car with Millteks it had HKS cats, and I believe they were 100 cell.

Turbowned
July 14th, 2015, 03:43
Either/or...