PDA

View Full Version : Go 140 mph legally in Nevada

JAXRS6
October 23rd, 2003, 19:58
Checked this out, we might be allowed 140 mph tops with harness:

http://silverstateclassic.com/home.htm

I may go to their event the third weekend of next May, before it gets too hot, on Route 318. They'll also do Route 278 the third weekend in July, then 318 again the third weekend in September.

I'm waiting for a call back to confirm the 140 top speed with harness. Earlier I was told faster is possible with roll cage, etc., but I guess it was all unofficial; now waiting to talk to tech guy.

JAXRS6
October 24th, 2003, 02:07
First, the weekends listed above are correct. They are not on the web site yet, pending a board meeting, but two sources tell me they're good.

Second, registration starts at $395 and includes a press conference & two banquet tickets. Price rises with speed/class, but not by a lot.

Gary Patterson, the Silver State Classic tech guy, gave this breakdown on speed allowed for the RS6 over the courses:

No harness: 110 target average, 124 max
With 5-point harness: 125 target average, 140 max
With roll bar: 150 target average, 165 max

Faster speeds are available if you add a racing suit, fire extinguishing system, etc.

However, not just anyone can walk up and enter the higher speed classes. Experience is required, and a school geared to these speeds and this course is available preceding each weekend event.

BTW Patterson tells me his day job is working for Carroll Shelby -- marketing, testing, and a third area I can't recall.

Here's a better web address than the one above; it takes you directly to an explanatory link. Rules etc. are available on the left side of the page, altho not all the links worked for me; photos did though:

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/flatout.htm

Route Map and Course Notes are useful links if you scroll down.

Gary Patterson welcomed anyone interested to call him: (702) 277-8430. The general number on the web site is (702) 631-6166.

Benman
October 24th, 2003, 04:59
JAXRS6, please keep me posted as time goes by. If all sounds good i may be joining you there next May. I wanted to go to the one this year but couldn't get the time off work since i'm already going to the Nationals. BTW, will they throw you in jail if you go a few miles an hour over their "speed limit"? :D :cheers:

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
October 24th, 2003, 06:58
Originally posted by Benman
will they throw you in jail if you go a few miles an hour over their "speed limit"?

Can't answer that (yet) but I did notice one thing worth remembering: Anyone ticketed for speeding on Hwy 318 within 90 days of the event is disqualified from the event (or words to that effect, in FAQs). Apparently that was required by Nevada before the state would allow these events.

Erik
October 24th, 2003, 08:26
or you could move to Germany :)

JAXRS6
October 26th, 2003, 02:02
Benman, you might want to give Gary Patterson a call at the aforementioned number. I don't think there will be a big problem, at least from the organizers, based on his telling me that if no one shows him a speeding ticket, then he won't know about it and won't disqualify.

Erik, as far as moving to Germany, I know you're kidding but I was willing to consider the Rabbit Run at least until I did the math, and no one has yet answered my question about its cost -- i.e. is it $6700 US for 5 days? That's what my pound-to-dollar conversion shows after viewing the web site. If it's that high I will say a prayer for the dollar and probably stay home, where several years of similar events will cost less. (Well, not TOO similar, except that we're discussing ways to go very fast legally; right?)

I'm still waiting to hear from AAA here re someplace to call for shipping costs and requirements.

Erik
October 26th, 2003, 08:08
JAXRS6, try www.gumball3000.com for the real thing.