PDA

View Full Version : weird sudden engine cutout w/CEL??

kismetcapitan
June 3rd, 2012, 12:59
I was on my way back from a day of autocrossing, cruise control on 90, when I notice a car behind me approaching at warp speed. The correct thing to do is...get out of the way! (something most drivers need to learn, argh). Anyways, it was a Mercedes SL, probably somewhere between 130-150mph. He rockets past, and...I just can't help but to follow :P

In this case, I saw it as a "free speeding" opportunity. If I keep him within sight, yet he's well ahead of me, if he passes a cop, I'll pick up the instant-on radar and slow down, plus I won't be the cop's target, he will be. :hihi:

So I give the car the beans, but I don't floor it, because I want to keep some space. And then around 130mph, I hit some kind of fuel cut - the CEL flashes briefly and it feels like the car turned itself off for a split second, and the car gives a pretty hard jerk.

Was I overboosting? I know that on my previous car, I could program in a overboost safety. If the car overboosted past a set limit, it would cut all the injectors, which feels like the car just dropped a giant anchor (it jerks hard).

It seems like anytime I encounter something odd, I'm at half throttle. Car never complains when it's floored...so one solution would be to drive with the car floored everywhere :P

in all seriousness though, any ideas on what happened? Haven't run VAGCOM yet but the damned thing never picks up any codes....well, it now throws a radio missing code, now that I've put in an Appradio :P

Justin9212
June 3rd, 2012, 21:04
A flashing CEL indicates a Misfire. When did you last check/replace your plugs and what were they gapped to?
My best guesses without any data or codes...
#1: EGT issue, seeing peak condition and cutting fuel.
#2: O2 Reading too rich or lean, again cutting fuel.
#3: Spark blow out, could just be plugs.
#4: Bad part throttle tuning, causing #1, or #2.

Get VAGCOM on there, if the light was flashing there will be codes for sure.