PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Buying RS6 Questions on 75k service

traderf430
May 29th, 2012, 19:36
Hi,

I am close to finalizing a purchase on an 03 RS6. It has 32,000 miles. It had the 35k service done in 2007 at about 7500 miles.

Question is when would the 75k service need to be done. Dealer is telling me I should be ok for a couple yrs. Whats your experience?

As a newbie Anything else I should look for before buying?

thanks

bob

4.2Crew
May 29th, 2012, 20:05
Welcome aboard!... Where are you and the car located?

I personally think you'd be ok for 1-2 years or 20k more miles... That's just me---and my comfort zone. Each owner has a different risk/reward comfort zone. Similiarily, different owners have different driving styles and live in different climates. Timing belt breaks are very rare on the 4.2L V8. Usually the service is completed after a mileage milestone is reached (35k, 75k, 115k etc.) But sometimes it occurs earlier out of convenience due to a different issue :mech: (ie engine pull or while carrier is in the service position.)

If you're sweat'n it, change it!

mik15
May 29th, 2012, 20:06
according to Audi book the 75k service is already due, for the S/RS models they recommend changing the T-belt every 35k miles or 3 years! Of course you might be ok for another 2 years, but do you wanna take the chance?? Check the DRC and the gearbox, if all checks out ok then go for it!

if the car had 7.5k miles when the 35k service was performed, and now it has 32k miles, then the previous owner drove it for 24.5k miles already, you would have another 9.5k miles until the 75k service, if we were to take into consideration only the mileage, but as i said, age is also important, your T-belt is already 5 years old....2 over the 3 years Audi recommends plus another 2 recommended by your Audi dealer, means 7, which is quite a long time....get it in writing from the dealer and have them to pay if the belt snaps within the next 2 years!

traderf430
May 29th, 2012, 20:09
I am in Seattle. Car is in Minnesota.. Actually it was the one mentioned in another thread. It is going to be my Daily Driver.

Welcome aboard!... Where are you and the car located?

I personally think you'd be ok for 1-2 years or 20k more miles... That's just me---and my comfort zone. Each owner has a different risk/reward comfort zone. Similiarily, different owners have different driving styles and live in different climates. Timing belt breaks are very rare on the 4.2L V8. Usually the service is completed after a mileage milestone is reached (35k, 75k, 115k etc.) But sometimes it occurs earlier out of convenience due to a different issue :mech: (ie engine pull or while carrier is in the service position.)

If you are sweat'n it, change it!

traderf430
May 29th, 2012, 20:10
Whats the DRC? Should a dealer PPI be able to pick up ion the gearbox and DRC?

thanks

mik15
May 29th, 2012, 20:15
they should, but then again depends on how skilled is the dealer, for example mine was at Audi dealer, they saw the TC error code but didn't say anything about it, they only erased it....but if the car has such a low mileage and it has full service history with Audi then you should be able to get a warranty from Audi, so it would cover all of these issues...

DRC - dynamic ride control - purely mechanical suspension system, google it or search the forum!

4.2Crew
May 29th, 2012, 20:16
Whats the DRC? Should a dealer PPI be able to pick up ion the gearbox and DRC?

thanks

DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) Essentially the hydraulically linked struts.

Assuming it is located at an Audi dealer or independant shop, yes... If not, prolly not.

I am in Seattle. Car is in Minnesota.. Actually it was the one mentioned in another thread. It is going to be my Daily Driver.

I was wondering!... The car is located about 10 miles from me!

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 20:54
4.2, looks like it's time you to help out with test drive:)

The dealer cleared my TC code also, got it on the way home, but I had inspection paperwork stating it should have been replaced, so they did at that point...

May 29th, 2012, 23:13
Warranty, warranty, warranty....get it. 32k or 132k, you'll face the same issues everyone on here has. Work it into the deal and when the trans/TC/turbo's/DRC/IC's go you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Enjoy the ride!

traderf430
May 30th, 2012, 21:12
Any thoughts on warranty companies or the ones to keep away from? I am looking at fidelity and warrentech

Thanks

ben916
May 31st, 2012, 04:27
Fidelity, if you can get it...
They have been specifically pricing their warranties too high on purpose.

I know of a certain Penelope that has her Seattle car at barrier right now for a suspected EGR/engine drop...

Perhaps you need to come visit the RS6 crew at Feierabend on a wednesday evening, such as tonight, er well, kinda short notice.

My warranty is thru Protective (Prism) and is completely based on existing mileage of the car.
PM me for a phone number...

vitalian
May 31st, 2012, 15:06
That "certain Penelope" has a zero-deductible platinum warranty with National. In light of pending repairs involving engine drop, this is a good thing...

NSU RS6
May 31st, 2012, 15:34
There was a Feirabend GTG last night??? Wouldn't have been able to make it anyway, was helping with soccer tryouts....

Amulet-S6
May 31st, 2012, 16:36
Great thread; Way to help out a stranger. Well done all.

Keep Smiling, Jim

Brav
June 1st, 2012, 19:48
IMHO - I would change the timing belt if its been 5 years. The previous owner did it after 4 years. That low of mileage in that time frame may insinuate that it has sat around a bit, and non-use is worse that regular use, as far as rubber decay/seals drying out. For me, 35k miles is premature for a timing belt, without respect to time. But I drive 20k miles a year on mine. My changes will be around 3 years, 50k-60k miles.

I would change yours, just based on time. /$.02

FlyFisherAJC
June 8th, 2012, 19:38
That "certain Penelope" has a zero-deductible platinum warranty with National. In light of pending repairs involving engine drop, this is a good thing...

My RS is going into Barrier for a new transmission next week, 100% Coveredunder Fidelity. While the engine is down I am also going to do the 75kmaintenance...not covered.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

vitalian
June 8th, 2012, 21:46
FlyFisher, good luck with the repairs!

I'm on my way to Barrier right after I log off the computer to go pick up the beastie after more than a week in the shop. My bill will be about $4K, only about $125 of which will be on my tab. Hurray for warrantys!

"On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again..."

ben916
June 8th, 2012, 21:48
status update on F430trader's purchase!?!?!?

NSU RS6
June 8th, 2012, 22:17
My RS is going into Barrier for a new transmission next week, 100% Coveredunder Fidelity. While the engine is down I am also going to do the 75kmaintenance...not covered.<O:p></O:p>

What were/are the symptoms?

All youse guys (and gals) with extended warranties.

Luckyyy.

traderf430
June 11th, 2012, 03:18
Sorry for the delay in update.. The car checked out with the exception of the airbag light coming on and the dealer was not sure what it was. The seller was unwilling to address.

I had agreed to pay $33,500 for the car which i Know is top dollar. Add to that the cost of another belt service which was recommended and add in the warrenty and this was getting pretty expensive, so I decided to pass on this one.

Still looking if anyone has any suggestions

thanks for all the help..

ben916
June 11th, 2012, 05:07
There have been several on this site for reasonable pricing.
Just wait...

G2
June 20th, 2012, 07:40
About warranties: Did anyone buy it after the car was purchased? If so, any recommendations on which company or source?