PDA

View Full Version : Track Pad recommendation for C5 RS6

HT MOtorsport
May 29th, 2012, 18:34
Hi All,

I took 'Judas' to the track for its first testing yesterday, stock brake pads and all season tires so it was expected to cook the brakes and slide about a lot.

I am looking for BTDT on track pad recommendations. I dont mind swapping pads at the track so I am thinking Hawk DTC70's?

Any input would be appreciated.

I also want to find a source for some 18x10 or 18x10.5 aftermarket rims, anyone fitted any rims this size and happen to know what offset is required?

Cheers

Haydn
www.motorsport-ht.com

Amulet-S6
May 29th, 2012, 23:23
I've used this set-up for a dozen or so track events. All recommendations stolen from more knowledgable RS6 guys before me... No need to reinvent the wheel

Front: Pagid Black's
Rear: Pagid Yellow's

High temp brake fluid. We also had custom rotors made (prior to the Phaeton brake vent upgrade idea.) Stock dimensions, but they have much larger venting for improved cooling. I've got the contact info if you want it.

You didn't ask, but for Track Tires - Pilot Sport Cups

Enjoy! Jim

kevin
May 29th, 2012, 23:54
Jim, what size Pilot Sport Cups?

I may want to throw a set on my oem 18'' wheels.

Already thinking about BIR this fall. :)

Thanks

Amar
May 29th, 2012, 23:59
Check out Carbotech XP10 brake pads, two members from RS246 are running them in their RS6s, apparently, the hotter they get the better they get, like hitting a brick wall when you push the pedal, apparently. Not cheap though! The pads are baked for a week before dispatch...

4everRS
May 30th, 2012, 05:01
BIR will be a blast. I am trying to figure out a time to get out there earlier too.

Thanks

HT MOtorsport
May 30th, 2012, 13:52
I run Pagid's on my race car and like them a lot, I have also run Carbotech's and those were great too.....choices, choices. Anyone got a good supplier they would recommend of these options?

On the tire end of thing, I should probably make a separate thread but Ill ask here first. I was intending to go for Toyo Proxes R888's or Nitto NTO1's. I have run the Pilot's before and did not rate them as well as the R comps I mentioned. I need to get a set of rims and would love to drop to 18" from 19" and go 10 or 10.5" wide with 275/35/18's, or maybe squeeze in something wider. Anyone done something similar and happen to know what wheel offset works on a wider rim?

H

Amulet-S6
May 30th, 2012, 20:31

Thanks

Track tires......I have tried Toyo RA1's in 275/35/18 fitment and Michelin Pilot Cups in 265/35/18 fitment. Neither tire has the correct load rating so they are both compromises in that regard and caution should be used. You'll need the 9.5 inch rim for the 275's. You can get the Cups on the 9 or 9.5 inch rim. The 275's rub the fender in the front under very hard cornering (before I put on coilovers) but MAN do they look good stuffed into those big fender wells!. Cups look pretty good too! :) Both tires are pretty expensive ~ $300 each. Cups handle much better IMHO. Better turn-in response and overall grip and stability. For the PSCups, I ran the pressure much higher than recommended.

Randy, jump in on the track tires you've ruined... errr, I mean, "sampled." :)

Just for perspective: This was before the Phaeton mod came around
Pyrometer readings of stock rotors with pagid pads after a 30 minute track session = 1100 F

Amulet-S6
May 30th, 2012, 20:42
With these coleman rotors, the pyrometer readings dropped to ~800 F after a 30 min track session.
Running Motul RBF600

*Credit to JP4 and other Audi track rats for knowledge passed on here.

kismetcapitan
May 30th, 2012, 21:59
what's a good pad that has a progressive bite? I find street pads too grabby. Many aren't used to pads that have less initial bite (but greater overall power), but I'm accustomed to race pads and would like to have that kind of progressive control, and require heating to really start working.

HT MOtorsport
May 31st, 2012, 01:23
With these coleman rotors, the pyrometer readings dropped to ~800 F after a 30 min track session.
Running Motul RBF600

*Credit to JP4 and other Audi track rats for knowledge passed on here.

Interesting, tell me more about this rotor conversion.....

Justin9212
June 1st, 2012, 14:04
I run Nitto NT05 on the street and the track. By far my favorite tire yet. I'm still trying different track pads, so I don't have the track time yet to give a pad recommendation.

HT MOtorsport
June 1st, 2012, 14:20
Track tires......I have tried Toyo RA1's in 275/35/18 fitment and Michelin Pilot Cups in 265/35/18 fitment. Neither tire has the correct load rating so they are both compromises in that regard and caution should be used. You'll need the 9.5 inch rim for the 275's. You can get the Cups on the 9 or 9.5 inch rim. The 275's rub the fender in the front under very hard cornering (before I put on coilovers) but MAN do they look good stuffed into those big fender wells!. Cups look pretty good too! :) Both tires are pretty expensive ~ $300 each. Cups handle much better IMHO. Better turn-in response and overall grip and stability. For the PSCups, I ran the pressure much higher than recommended.

Randy, jump in on the track tires you've ruined... errr, I mean, "sampled." :)

Just for perspective: This was before the Phaeton mod came around
Pyrometer readings of stock rotors with pagid pads after a 30 minute track session = 1100 F

Can you tell me the offset you are running on your 9 & 9.5 rims. I am going to order a set of wheels, probably 10's and want to make sure I get the offset correct. I will do measurements but if you have the 9.5" offset that will help.

Cheers

Haydn

Amar
June 2nd, 2012, 02:26
Mr. Footlong on RS246 did this review for the Carbotech pads. See below:

PROS

Bam, you are some special kind of oddball . Nuts, had almost finished this reply then managed to click back and lose all my text…... This will be more condensed as I just cba to remember everything that I typed. First, quick Pros/cons then will explain in a bit more detail:

PROS
They bite and bite and bite and bite and bite and bite and bite. They keep biting, to the point of disbelief. I have done a number of private runway 160mph+ to near zero stops with them now and every single time I have had nothing but 100% confident braking, with the speed shedding at an eye-popping rate of knots.

CONS
Unsurprisingly, they produce a massive amount of heat. I believe that I have actually mildly "blued" my front discs as a result of the frequent "cleaning" sessions or the warp factor 10 stops.

Brake noise. Honestly, anyone that thinks I am not using these pads hard enough, really, really doesn't know how I drive. I have to say though, that there are no backing/vibration plates fitted. The place that fitted the previous, god awful Mintex pads, didn't keep the OE plates, but there was no room to fit them in with the XP10's when I looked.

Disc wear. Again, to be expected but on our beast with 4 pads per side, these chew through the discs remarkably quickly when you are driving accordingly!

I have to say, despite all the cons, Ian was up front and discussed all the reasons for/not using these pads and explained to me exactly what to expect. They do exactly what they are supposed to do, brilliantly.

Regarding the brake noise, around here, I am frequently going for the sound barrier one moment, just to find myself stuck in traffic the next. These brakes do squeal a lot at lower speeds, no point playing that fact down on my car at least. While the "cleaning" sessions have worked to an extent, they have no lack of bite (so not glazed) but just sound/feel like rubbing either 2 ceramic plates against each other or stainless steel wool across something etc. I am actually embarrassed when braking at low speed, to the point where I use the gears to brake as much as possible in traffic and am frequently changing modulation on the brake pedal to minimize noise. Everybody looks at me when they hear the screaming/metallic grinding noises like either my brakes are broken or I am a pikey driving a banger.

I have boiled the MRC-fitted (pre-nutter pads being fitted) AUDI spec Brake Fluid 4 times now after either bedding in or Cleaning the pads, was quite funny coming to the end of a run and was going to pull in to the drive, only to find myself gently floating by the house instead! I will be upfront and say that I am not 100% convinced that my calipers are in perfect working order so I think they could be playing a small part in things too. I have had the setup smoking a bit once too. At this point I went out for a gentle 10 min drive to cool them down as well as possible.

Based on my experience alone, I believe the following:

I will be really, really impressed if there is a better track day pad out there for the RS6
The level of bite is beyond my expectations from just a pad upgrade, and then some
If you can sort out the noise issue and don't mind the pads taste for discs, happy days!
I think that the fact that these have 2 pads on each side of the caliper, they might actually be too much heat-wise etc for these beasts when driven aggressively. I reckon on 4 pot calipers on lighter cars where they are only running a pair of pads on each disc, the heat will be more manageable.

So, while I love these pads TO DEATH, they are also driving me mildly potty, through no real fault of their own I believe. As I cannot fit any spacers whatsoever on to my beast, I am going to be going for a bespoke front brake setup, funds permitting. I am getting old, I just want everything to work brilliantly, without annoying me at the same time

Amulet-S6
June 4th, 2012, 19:23
Can you tell me the offset you are running on your 9 & 9.5 rims. I am going to order a set of wheels, probably 10's and want to make sure I get the offset correct. I will do measurements but if you have the 9.5" offset that will help.

Cheers

Haydn

Haydn, I've got an email out to my pal that had the custom 9.5's done. I'll post his offsets asap Jim

Amulet-S6
June 4th, 2012, 19:56
Interesting, tell me more about this rotor conversion.....

H, It's not really a conversion, just a rotor upgrade. Stock caliper and mountings. Look at my post above from May 30. The photos are of the Coleman rotor next to oem. The improvement in rotor ducting is evident. Confirmed prices with Steve @ Coleman - they're actually less than we paid in '06. Initial replacement cost may be a bit more than for oem rotors, but afterwards you just replace the rotor rings at $382/pr.

A hat will cost: $264.00
A Ring will cost: $170.75
Gas slots will cost: $16.00
Hardware set (1-bolt/nut/washerx10) will cost: $20.00.
If my math is correct, that's $941.50 per pair + shipping
Contact info:
Steve Thomas
Crown Southwest
email: steve@crownsouthwest.com
phone: 513.508.1007

I have no vested interest in this product, just passing on another option. I know 3 of us have used these on the track with terrific results since '06. As for longevity, I've run this set for 5 years; Daily driver year-round plus track sessions
Mention RS6.com or me.

Hope that helps, Jim

HT MOtorsport
June 4th, 2012, 20:46
H, It's not really a conversion, just a rotor upgrade. Stock caliper and mountings. Look at my post above from May 30. The photos are of the Coleman rotor next to oem. The improvement in rotor ducting is evident. Confirmed prices with Steve @ Coleman - they're actually less than we paid in '06. Initial replacement cost may be a bit more than for oem rotors, but afterwards you just replace the rotor rings at $382/pr.

A hat will cost: $264.00
A Ring will cost: $170.75
Gas slots will cost: $16.00
Hardware set (1-bolt/nut/washerx10) will cost: $20.00.
If my math is correct, that's $941.50 per pair + shipping
Contact info:
Steve Thomas
Crown Southwest
email: steve@crownsouthwest.com
phone: 513.508.1007

I have no vested interest in this product, just passing on another option. I know 3 of us have used these on the track with terrific results since '06. As for longevity, I've run this set for 5 years; Daily driver year-round plus track sessions
Mention RS6.com or me.

Hope that helps, Jim

Thats awesome info Jim, many thanks for taking the time to re document it for me. I will see how the Hawk DTC70's work on the factory rotors, and I have a spare set of factory rotors I swapped some work for.

I am adding some ducts and fans prior to the NEQ NJ event and will get some temp data of what I see, if the temps are too high I will certainly go this route based on your data.

Cheers

H

RM_RS6
June 6th, 2013, 03:43
I'm interested in the coleman Rotors. Do they come cross drilled or just slotted?? And what source can I get them from?? I'm do for new rotors and pads soon.