PDA

View Full Version : What does a new tranny cost?

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 06:11
Has anyone paid to have their tranny R&R'd with a good used or rebuilt tranny? I'm having some tranny issues and am thinking of swapping to a 6 speed. I'm just curious what a typical tranny rebuild or replacement costs. Any real world numbers out there?

mik15
May 27th, 2012, 06:46
as i know, Tozo is asking for 3k to rebuilt it, i have asked him as i was also interested in the prices for when the time will come, you have to send him your gearbox! Also, reading somewhere here on the forum, a rebuilt one from Audi would be 3.5k + core.

kismetcapitan
May 27th, 2012, 12:56
a 6-speed swap is something I'd be very interested in doing, or even better, a DCT...

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 15:11
as i know, Tozo is asking for 3k to rebuilt it, i have asked him as i was also interested in the prices for when the time will come, you have to send him your gearbox! Also, reading somewhere here on the forum, a rebuilt one from Audi would be 3.5k + core.

Any idea on labor? What does the whole job cost start to finish?

May 27th, 2012, 17:37
At least 5k for trans + labor. Probably more like 6 by the time you add tax, tag, and title. Might as well do the turbos, seals, Bufkin, I/C's, etc while the motor is out (another $1500-$2000).

What's your tranny doing?

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 17:54
At least 5k for trans + labor. Probably more like 6 by the time you add tax, tag, and title. Might as well do the turbos, seals, Bufkin, I/C's, etc while the motor is out (another $1500-$2000).

What's your tranny doing?

Shifting hard, hanging up. When I go from R to D even when I wait a sec there is a good hesitation. Hangs up in gear sometimes. Other times when I get on the gas and then let off soon thereafter, it will downshift then upshift but very hard and with a jerk. I'm also going into limp mode at times but i'm not sure if that is tranny/TC related or not.

May 27th, 2012, 18:03
Do you have a code reader? What's the trans code when it goes into limp mode? Sounds more like a valve body/solenoid problem than a trans problem. Or maybe even a TCU problem. Ever get water in the passengers footwell from the sunroof?

I'd figure out what the code is, pull the pan, check for debris, rebuild or replace the valve body as necessary. A lot cheaper than a new trans.

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 19:02
Do you have a code reader? What's the trans code when it goes into limp mode? Sounds more like a valve body/solenoid problem than a trans problem. Or maybe even a TCU problem. Ever get water in the passengers footwell from the sunroof?

I'd figure out what the code is, pull the pan, check for debris, rebuild or replace the valve body as necessary. A lot cheaper than a new trans.

I have:

17963 - Charge Pressure
P1555 - 001 - maximum limit exceeded - intermittent

and

17125 - Torque converter Clutch
P0741 - 003 - stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

marklar182
May 27th, 2012, 19:02
Audi wants $5000 for a rebuilt (no new available) plus your core or $1500.

marklar182
May 27th, 2012, 19:04
I have:

17963 - Charge Pressure
P1555 - 001 - maximum limit exceeded - intermittent

and

17125 - Torque converter Clutch
P0741 - 003 - stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

You need a new converter for sure. The trans may be ok, but probably not if you have those symptoms. The converter death leads to tranny death if you keep driving it.

May 27th, 2012, 19:17
I'd do more troubleshooting unless you are just itching for a new trans. Euro Trans in ATL has the 5HP24 for $2750 plus core plus shipping. Don't know anything about them. Rebuilt VB for about $600. I bought my trans rebuilt kit from TransStates in New Jersey and they have been good to work with.

ttboost
May 27th, 2012, 20:47
Stop driving it now!!! Do a TC now and your trans will likely live, if you haven't hurt it too much. Have you gotten a CEL light yet for the trans code? If not, you're OK, but do the TC NOW!!! The charge pressure code is for overboosting, causing your limp mode. Check N75 valve and DV's...

May 27th, 2012, 21:30
So the only thing that can throw the P17125 code is a T/C seal failure? Seems to be common, but is that the only thing?

4everRS
May 27th, 2012, 22:06
If your trans temp sensor is bad and doesn't tell the vb to lock the converter, your converter will go that way too. Moral is, if your sensor is bad, fix it.

rs6queens
May 27th, 2012, 22:48
Look for a used transmission on Ebay as a core and send that one to get rebuild, It will save you some time.

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 22:53
a 6-speed swap is something I'd be very interested in doing, or even better, a DCT...

DTC would be great. I've driven a friends F430 and it's better than anything. But, with such difficulty just adapting the ECU to work with a 6 speed for these cars I would imagine you would have to use a standalone ECU to accomplish that. A standalone ECU of that caliber is probably in the $2-4k range and then you'd need to figure out the mechanical part. It would be great though. Once you drive a DCT car no other tranny makes much sense.

UrS6
May 27th, 2012, 22:55
Stop driving it now!!! Do a TC now and your trans will likely live, if you haven't hurt it too much. Have you gotten a CEL light yet for the trans code? If not, you're OK, but do the TC NOW!!! The charge pressure code is for overboosting, causing your limp mode. Check N75 valve and DV's...

I'll have to drop it by my mechanic and have him take a look. If the tranny or TC needs to be replaced I will be putting in a 6 speed. I drove one recently and it is a totally different car.

May 27th, 2012, 22:57
Let me know how much you want for the T/C core.....

ttboost
May 28th, 2012, 00:18
6 speed conversion is not cheap nor easy.

kismetcapitan
May 28th, 2012, 04:23
6 speed conversion is not cheap nor easy.

neither was my fiancée, but she's worth every bit and then some!!

I haven't had the fortune to drive a manual conversion, but the ability to freely rev this engine would add so much to the experience. Had the RS6 been made available with one, the E39 M5 wouldn't even be on anyone's radar; much of the M5 being "more of a driver's car" comes from the manual transmission.

mik15
May 28th, 2012, 12:03
is there any possibility that the TC doesn't lock because of the solenoid not getting the proper voltage therefore not sending the command to lock? i have been doing a lot of live scan on mine and i saw that most of the time it locks(solenoid gets cca750A) but there are also moments when it doesn't lock 'cause it doesn't get the proper voltage, i do have the TC code error, but to me it seems like an electric problem not a mechanical issue with the TC....just a thought, maybe we can do something about this solenoid...i am just trying to understand better the process as i have anyway decided to drive it until it dies completely and since i have no issues with it now i see no reason to change it, when the time comes i will replace the complete gearbox and that's it, we'll see how long it will last like this :)

SteveKen
May 28th, 2012, 16:14
I've got an automatic transmission that does work (no TC though), and could be suitable for a core. Let me know if you need one.

I've also got a manual transmission kit that could permanently eliminate your TC and slushbox issues.

Depending on which route you go, the price of manual conversion versus automatic rebuild is basically the same.

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 17:40
Steve, thanks for that TC, I passed it on a while back:) mik15, you could fix that TC and not hurt your trans, but if you're looking to make the change I see your point...

Oh yes, random update, after adding the 2 quarts to top of trans fluid, no slip from third to fourth....yet....

mik15
May 29th, 2012, 19:53
i am planning on changing the TC in the winter, i have a new OEM one ready, by then i don't think i will put too many miles on it as i don't drive it daily anymore, it became a weekend car, so if it will last until then that would be great, if not... i know the way :)

HT MOtorsport
May 29th, 2012, 21:49
I have a stock RS6 trans with TC sat doing nothing, tested to be in good condition, fluids were clean when removed and shifted smoothly. FS $2500 located in southern NH if anyone needs one PM or email me at haydn@motorsport-ht.com