PDA

View Full Version : Scroll turbo rebuild service?

rs6queens
May 27th, 2012, 00:24
Since my motor is out and I have 105k miles on the car, I was thinking to rebuild my turbos. I found some oil in both intercoolers.

Anyone have experience with these guys?

4everRS
May 27th, 2012, 02:24
There are good reviews form scroll. Some on this board have done it. I think elevens is one.

Oil in the IC's is not likely from the turbos. All these cars have it due to the PCV system recycling into the the charge pipe. Still not a bad idea to get the turbos refreshed.

Justin9212
May 27th, 2012, 03:03
I have only heard good things. No first hand experiences though.

JRS-RS6
May 27th, 2012, 13:54
Another option: http://www.blouchturbo.com/

Elevens
May 27th, 2012, 15:57
hahnmgh63, myself and I believe some others have used ScrollProducts to Rebuild our Turbo's with Execellent Results. They come back looking Brand New with Impeller, shaft and seal all updated with the latest hardware. Fully pressure tested and balanced before they leave the shop. Only time will tell how long they will last, but the quality of rebuild is first rate and I expect them to last a quite a while. Maybe even longer than Factory. Sean is the guy that runs the place, give him a call he'll set you straight..........................

lswing
May 27th, 2012, 19:28
Mine have felt excellent, and looked brand new when I got them back, only 500 miles on them so far...

rs6queens
May 27th, 2012, 20:56
I'm just curious who makes the replacement parts and how long they will last after the rebuild. Should I do any extras to the turbos ?

Mudguts
May 27th, 2012, 22:03

this is what Sean found when he took mine apart :(

Mudguts
May 27th, 2012, 22:09
Here they are after rebuild. They look brand spanking new and go on the car this week.

Mudguts
May 27th, 2012, 22:23
RS6Queens,

Here is an itemization from the rebuild - looks like OEM for the most part...

K04-028 Borg Warner K04 Turbocharger Service /Repair (Left) 1 pcs 290.00
K04-029 Borg Warner K04 Turbocharger Service /Repair (Right) 1 pcs 290.00
TW New K04-50x44mm Turbine Wheel OEM 2 pcs 120.00
CW New K04 56x41mm Compressor Wheel 2 pcs 89.00
KIT K03/04/06 Service Kit Standard 2 pcs 79.75
RR Vibration Sorting (Acoustics) 1.5 hr 95.00

If you want to go bigger, they need to cut snorkle off to gain access to compressor wheel housing, machine material out, fit an adaptor (b/c ring area gets nuked when creating room for the bigger wheel) & weld the snorkle back together... He does it & stated to me that it would be just as reliable as OE, BUT you pay more (~$800) & he sends it out for welding, it takes more time, etc.

Hope that helps,
MG

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 16:58

this is what Sean found when he took mine apart :(

So you had a squirrel in each turbo, damn those impellers are eaten to shit!, exhaust manifold deteriorating, you replace it?

EDIT; I added the larger impeller shaft upgrade, was $1300 total, more oil flow and reduced temps, longevity....

hahnmgh63
May 29th, 2012, 17:22
I hope you did a good flush of your Intercoolers as those pieces of your Turbos went somewhere. Hopefully only extremely small pieces if any got by the Intercoolers.

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 17:36
I hope you did a good flush of your Intercoolers as those pieces of your Turbos went somewhere. Hopefully only extremely small pieces if any got by the Intercoolers.

Oh man, I didn't even think of how bad that could be, hopefully there was a good collection of oil in those IC hoses to catch the metal:) Only the smallest piece might be able to get through to the engine eh, but still scary...

Mudguts
May 29th, 2012, 18:02
The intercoolers are new, so shouldn't be an issue as all of the fluids will be changed. They also checked engine oil and no metal was found. My fingers are crossed that I at least dodged that bullet.

I have no idea what went through both turbos to do this much damage... They are checking plugs and air filters, but so far the 'UFO' has not been identified.

Sean was very surprised that the car was running based on the damage. He told me that most conversations with this level of damage starts with "so I blew my engine and..."

-MG

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 18:07
It's the exhaust manifold/header lining deteriorating, that's all there is there, hope you got those boroscoped even if the edges looked fine....or else your bearings were so screwed up and shot the impeller was rubbing on the turbo housing....I'm amazed you had boost....good lawd!

Mudguts
May 29th, 2012, 18:56
The wheels in both turbos were spinning free, so bearing we ruled out.

I will ask them to scope the exhaust manifold/header lining for deterioration - good suggestion.

Any other thoughts on what to check?

Thanks
M

speedtrapped
May 29th, 2012, 19:34
wait, I am confused....the pics of damaged wheels are cold side, compressor wheels? How would exhaust manifolds, hotside(Randy's issue) do that? Wouldn't the turbine wheels be chewed to all hell?? I remember many an airbox removal during ownership, if one is not careful, lots of bits could fall down inlets...hence why any good mechanic would stuff rags down each side immedietly after removing airbox. At least your oil checked out ok....

lswing
May 29th, 2012, 19:45
wait, I am confused....the pics of damaged wheels are cold side, compressor wheels? How would exhaust manifolds, hotside(Randy's issue) do that? Wouldn't the turbine wheels be chewed to all hell?? I remember many an airbox removal during ownership, if one is not careful, lots of bits could fall down inlets...hence why any good mechanic would stuff rags down each side immedietly after removing airbox. At least your oil checked out ok....

Ah crap, good eye, I was looking at them wrong it sounds like...

Mudguts
June 6th, 2012, 04:18
I picked up the RS today & all seems to be good with torque converter, turbos and assorted maintenance items. My wallet on the other hand...

I'll post back if anything happens with the scroll turbo's

Tnx,
MG