PDA

View Full Version : Biggest power gains

TurboLS1
May 25th, 2012, 14:24
goodmorning everyone,

I currently do not have an RS6 but I am very familar with turbo vehicles and currently own a turbo-charged camaro ls1 that makes some pretty good power but really want the added luxary and 4-wheel drive. my question to all of you is i do not see alot of write-ups/diy stuff to make more power only to do maintence.. whats the biggest thing i can do to get around the higher end of 5xx to the ground? i need to be close to 6xx to keep up with all of the ls1 guys lol. as far as boost goes what are these 4.2s good to? do they come forged? how long do the trannys last and say i got like a 95k-105 mile car should i be concerned with putting to much power to it? anyone run a 50shot just to get out of the hole faster? again as far as boost goes whats the max i can run on the stock injectors? if i bring it to a shop can they custom tune it just like my ls1 or will i need aditional software i.e. chips? basically when iget one what all will it take to get me close to 6xx to the wheels? im crossing my fingers for just gutted exhaust and a tune lol but im guessing not any who i appreciate all the answers there just really isnt alot of info on how these things do performance wise. again thanks

tony

4everRS
May 25th, 2012, 14:45
Well. There have been many discussions over this in the past. You're new. I'll be nice. 600 at the wheels is possible. But it will probably take 20k+ dollars to get there after you buy the car.

You will need an upgraded trans, $7-10k.
Bigger turbos, 3-4k
Thicker head gasket, ?k
Upgraded injectors, 1.5k
Dual fees fuel rail, ?k
Wagner intercoolers, 2k
Upgraded oil and trans cooler ?k
Custom mapping ?k
Custom exhaust 2.5k
Loba camshafts, 2k?

There's more I can't think of. Didn't even mention suspension or brakes.

Good luck!

4everRS
May 25th, 2012, 14:51
LS engines are easy. Bolt on some shit and make huge power. Plus there's so much room, their easy to work on. Parts are plentiful. Knowledge is vast. Our engines are custom massaged by Cosworth. There's no room to fit a finger. Nearly everything I said earlier requires the engine dropped out of the car. Then back in to test. If something didn't work right your dropping the engine again.

Amar
May 25th, 2012, 14:54
Yep, all is possible, but what 4everRS missed is upgraded manifolds. You can put as big a turbo as you want on but you won't get past 550 on them manifolds.

Here is a 600 BHP C5 RS6 on the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwit9hkUSP0&feature=related

Here is a 760BHP one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-37ED5oMY

ThrillHouse
May 25th, 2012, 15:39
Or stick with what you know ;)

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23923-X-post-Project-Judas-SBC-swapped-into-RS-6-shell

kismetcapitan
May 25th, 2012, 15:51
don't forget fuel pumps. Plural.

Any power target is achievable. Just depends on how much you want to spend. I blew over $100K over five years on my Skyline engine alone, chasing 700whp.

What I wouldn't want to do is crack open the Cosworth engine and mess with what they did. Whatever the boost limit is for the stock longblock is where I'd draw the line.

Plus, the thing with Japanese or LS1 tuning is the huge selection of parts, and hence parts are cheap. Not so with Audis - very few people chase big numbers, so the parts are nearly bespoke. And mapping the Audi ECU isn't like going with HKS or Motec units, which a lot of tuners know how to use, so the mapping cost is going to be significant.

Hope you have deep pockets, and good luck!

TurboLS1
May 25th, 2012, 16:13
wow i reall appreciate the info guys, and damn blows my mind on how much different the cost is on parts i have 850 to the ground with my ls1 and maybe cost me 2 grand lol. i deffinitly think this topic should have a sticky i can only imagine the request on such info. so couple more questions, how much boost can i go to with a completly stock motor and just the mtm trans chip is it possible to get to 550 with just a tune? is fuel gonna be my problem to reach that or are we talking bout the turbos and manifolds gonna be the restriction? again really appreciate the help

TurboLS1
May 25th, 2012, 16:19
oh also are there any free mods to pick up any power? and does any one know how they respond to a small spray? and are they forged stock? and one more sorry again im just very unfamiliar with these engines but a tuner is able to get into the ecu correct? and to up the boost they can do so and it will automatically correct for fuel differences?

Amar
May 25th, 2012, 16:26
Wagner intercoolers, catless downpipes and a custom remap will have you at 550 BHP or thereabouts. The highest I've seen dyno with that setup is 558 BHP.

Aronis
May 25th, 2012, 17:45
Wagner intercoolers, catless downpipes and a custom remap will have you at 550 BHP or thereabouts. The highest I've seen dyno with that setup is 558 BHP.

not at the wheels? at the crank you mean?? and I still don't buy the claim that the slightly larger intercoolers do much...

lswing
May 25th, 2012, 18:14
and I still don't buy the claim that the slightly larger intercoolers do much...

BHP, brake horse power = crank not wheels. I've had a few mechanics agree with that, unless running some seriously bigger turbos. I would certainly think that spraying water/meth would have a greater cooling effect, it really helps the stock airflow setup when running extra boost...along with the octane boost.

Amar
May 25th, 2012, 18:47
It was 480 at the wheels IIRC.