PDA

View Full Version : 2 quarts low on trans fluid, holy crap!

lswing
May 24th, 2012, 05:55
Well, hoping this was why I had a few slips from third to fourth. Not a lot of driving recently so I'm hoping that no damage was done to the trans clutches. Still, lesson is when in any doubt have it checked. We filled it full 8 months ago, don't see any leak, but you know the fill can be a fine process. Fingers crossed I take her out for a run tomorrow and this weekend with no slips. The car is pulling as strong as ever, now just need my trans to stay strong for a year or two please. I think the trans and tc take about 14 quarts or so...is there a warning for low fluid, or hot?

Got a few nice words from my mechanic today, he just put a super charger kit on a 2008 M5 bringing it to 600+ hp, but really likes the torque and jump that the rs6 brings, gotta love this car...although my wallet does not always, but what super car is cheap?

hahnmgh63
May 24th, 2012, 08:46
When I swapped out my tranny last year the lines were all drained of course and I put at least a Qt in the T.C. when I installed it but it still took me about 3 drives to get all the air out of the system. I first serviced it right in the shop after the install. Then I drove it about a 1/2 mile and serivced it again....1/2qt low. Then I drove it about 2.5miles and it still took about 1/2~1 more qt. of fluid.
Of course just a fluid change won't normally be a finicky as you won't be draining the T.C. or all of the cooler lines & coolers.

May 24th, 2012, 14:04
Trans temp sensor but no fluid level sensor except "slipping from 3rd to 4th". Don't know of a trans temp warning signal but may throw a code. Hope that fixes it. Flog it, fix it....repeat as necessary.

4everRS
May 24th, 2012, 15:14
There will be a code for high temp. Sometimes the wiring harness goes bad and needs to be replace as well. Unfortunatley, there is no level sender in the trans. Remember that trans fluid expands quite a bit when heated. This may make the level sender idea tricky. I do wish there was a simple dipstick, or sight window somewhere to know.

Low trans fluid can cause a bunch of issues. Please update your feedback regarding how the trans is feeling after a few more test drives.

lswing
May 24th, 2012, 16:17
I'll be doing some logs and spirited driving this weekend, get her back today! It only slipped twice that I can tell, and I don't hammer the car a lot, so hoping I caught the issue early....will post up a report.

Brambo
May 24th, 2012, 17:03
The RS6 I am trying to get fixed was 3 quarts low. It's got the terminal code of death. It's stuck in 4th. Nice blue piece of yard art.