PDA

View Full Version : Boost problems/pinging

audib4
May 22nd, 2012, 04:05
Got my RS6 put together, checked all the vacuum hoses, new clamps etc.

-NEW Wagners + Silicone Hoses
-NEW APR R1 DV's

There "shouldn't" be any boost leaks...

The problem I am having is I am noticing some pinging, I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me but seems there is definitely some detonation at WOT. One run and car goes into limp mode. Only code that shows up is 17963-Charge Pressure Exceeded

I am UNITRONIC chipped, this did not happen until I just installed a new Torque Converter/Downpipes/ and the above items. Anyone have any ideas? Looks like the requested boost is much lower than the actual...

BTW Swapped N75, thats not it.

here is a 2nd gear 3000RPM-Redline log...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-21at101816PM.png

Will be pressure testing the system tomorrow, but something leads me to believe that I will need a new tune with the added items.

4everRS
May 22nd, 2012, 04:34
Thanks for the log. That's how a "I'm having problems" post should go.

I wouldn't doubt its the tune. Before you do that, I would swap dv's if you have an old/extra set.

audib4
May 22nd, 2012, 04:59
Will do, they are brand new though.

Also looking back at the UNI website it states that the Stage 1 Tune which I have is "Precisely engineered to run on a completely stock Audi RS6"

lswing
May 22nd, 2012, 06:15
You can get more boost than you will need most of the time without special DV's or IC's. But not sure what causes the boost spike, air leaks in after pressure builds. I would assume you will have some sorting with all of the work done, part of the process. You're also running as much or more boost than you want to on regular fuel. Log the knock sensors next time also...

johnnie27
May 22nd, 2012, 12:31
Got my RS6 put together, checked all the vacuum hoses, new clamps etc.

-NEW Wagners + Silicone Hoses
-NEW APR R1 DV's

There "shouldn't" be any boost leaks...

The problem I am having is I am noticing some pinging, I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me but seems there is definitely some detonation at WOT. One run and car goes into limp mode. Only code that shows up is 17963-Charge Pressure Exceeded

I am UNITRONIC chipped, this did not happen until I just installed a new Torque Converter/Downpipes/ and the above items. Anyone have any ideas? Looks like the requested boost is much lower than the actual...

BTW Swapped N75, thats not it.

here is a 2nd gear 3000RPM-Redline log...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-21at101816PM.png

Will be pressure testing the system tomorrow, but something leads me to believe that I will need a new tune with the added items.

straight thru dump pipes (no cats) etc will usually cause over boost at WOT esp if its cold out..? maybe a run on the dyno and a custom map is needed?

ttboost
May 22nd, 2012, 13:02
Yup...limp mode from overboost with detonation. Don't drive it like that. Put race gas in it and see if it goes away (the pinging). Get a new flash with a smidge less boost or a smidge less timing.

lswing
May 22nd, 2012, 16:14
Interesting, looking at it closer, your Lambda's are fine and the tune isn't actually asking for that much boost. I'm running more boost and getting just a few knocks. Would the car be pinging if the fuel is still rich?

Now, isn't the N75 supposed to check that over boost and bring it back down? Doesn't seem to be touching the over boost as it stays steady.

Also, would he be boosting over due to the incorrect/too much air flow from the non-stock DV's. I've heard a fair amount of chat about aftermarkets just not working that well....

audib4
May 22nd, 2012, 17:53
Emailed the logs to Uni...we will see. I will try to swap OEM DV's in today and see if anything changes.

In the meantime, would anyone be interested in a Unitronic Chipped ECU for stock plus cash trade?

Also, has anyone hear of Jfonz tuning? I've been talking to Josh and he seems very knowledgeable and said he can code out all emissions including EGT's and can make a E85 file. Thinking of giving him a try, since he can custom tune the car based on my logs/etc. Just don't want to risk hurting my engine due to an inexperienced tuner.

Justin9212
May 22nd, 2012, 23:45
Likely a vacuum line to the wastegate, or a bad N75. Was your old N75 bad, or did you swap it in an attempt to resolve this problem?

audib4
May 23rd, 2012, 00:58
I swapped the n75 to try and resolve this, but same symptoms. I am about to pressure test the system, and then swap some oem dv's in if system has no leaks

Justin9212
May 23rd, 2012, 02:13
Likely not a DV issue. The way the system is designed the issue is between the N75 and the wastegate, or the vacuum lines between.

JSRS6
May 23rd, 2012, 02:15
Ask speedtrapped about his experience with jfonz tuning first.

Emailed the logs to Uni...we will see. I will try to swap OEM DV's in today and see if anything changes.

In the meantime, would anyone be interested in a Unitronic Chipped ECU for stock plus cash trade?

Also, has anyone hear of Jfonz tuning? I've been talking to Josh and he seems very knowledgeable and said he can code out all emissions including EGT's and can make a E85 file. Thinking of giving him a try, since he can custom tune the car based on my logs/etc. Just don't want to risk hurting my engine due to an inexperienced tuner.

4everRS
May 23rd, 2012, 02:32
Ask speedtrapped about his experience with jfonz tuning first.

Uuggg. Good memory.

MaxRS6
May 23rd, 2012, 03:28
An issue with the wastegate bearing could prevent boost regulation...Hope it is something simpler

audib4
May 23rd, 2012, 03:34
Not a DV issue, although with stock DV's I went into limp mode in 3rd...with APR it was 2nd gear. I ran 2nd about 4 times and it was definitely pinging/detonating but no limp mode. Also put race gas in and tried. Also got limp mode, but it seemed so much smoother and faster. Much less pinging/detonating with race fuel, but it's still there. Will post up the logs in a bit.

4everRS
May 23rd, 2012, 04:00
Not a DV issue, although with stock DV's I went into limp mode in 3rd...with APR it was 2nd gear. I ran 2nd about 4 times and it was definitely pinging/detonating but no limp mode. Also put race gas in and tried. Also got limp mode, but it seemed so much smoother and faster. Much less pinging/detonating with race fuel, but it's still there. Will post up the logs in a bit.

I'm gonna go with the tune then. It is rare to see wastegates go bad on these. Not saying it can't happen. Just be surprised if it was.

audib4
May 23rd, 2012, 04:11
Also pressure tested the system, and its really well sealed, which I knew it was in the beginning because I really took my time and replaced all clamps and hoses, and going over everything twice leaving no room for error.

So ....

-DV's ruled out
-N75 ruled out
-No Boost Leaks
-Race Gas Helps a little
-Still getting overboost code and detonation

-Also, when the engine was out I inspected the turbos and wastegates, everything seemed perfectly fine, the rods moved freely and did not appear there was anything wrong. (Everything was fine before engine was pulled)

audib4
May 24th, 2012, 01:54
Any other ideas on what to check before I can solely blame it on the tune?

-Also swapped the N249 and same symptoms are present.

Here are some more logs...
Race Gas+Pump Mix
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80110PM.png
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80023PM.png
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80145PM.png
Pump Gas
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80352PM.pnghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80420PM.png
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-23at80439PM.png

Let me know what you guys think, also what tune should I go with ?

kevin
May 24th, 2012, 03:04
pm sent!

4everRS
May 24th, 2012, 03:14
Apr, Eurocharged, Revo (careful with boost), EPL

Justin9212
May 24th, 2012, 13:21
I still feel you must have a leak between the N75 and the wastegate. It is very hard to find. I have seen this in the past, and the leak didn't even show with a smoke tester. I think the N75 blocks air between it and the wastegate during a boost leak test, or a smoke test.

audib4
May 24th, 2012, 16:13
How would I go about testing that? Pull off n75 and apply pressure to the waste gate hoses?

MaxRS6
May 24th, 2012, 16:18
^While at it- you might test what pressure it is requiring to open the waste gates..

Justin9212
May 24th, 2012, 16:44
That would work.

audib4
May 25th, 2012, 01:51
It's not the lines to the waste gates, pushed 20 psi, they are functioning like they should, begin opening at 3-4 and fully open at 8. Both in sync and absolutely no leaks or pressure drop.

audib4
June 1st, 2012, 01:08
UPDATE! Swapped in a stock ECU, and the car runs much better. No pinging/detonation, smooth power delivery and no codes. Here is a 3rd gear log I just did. 3000RPM - Redline in 3rd gear. Talking to Kevin about Eurocharged, cant wait to see what it feels like with a little more boost.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/audib4/Screenshot2012-05-31at72023PM.png

4everRS
June 1st, 2012, 03:35
Great log. What's the ambient air temp where you did the runs? I'm surprised to see the AIT in the low 30's.

audib4
June 1st, 2012, 04:13
It was around 62* F , Wagners are doing their job! But it was perfect turbo weather today.