PDA

View Full Version : boost - I can finally see it!

kismetcapitan
May 22nd, 2012, 03:46
as posted in another thread, I don't know if the Dashcommander app and Gopoint BT dongle are reporting requested or actual boost, but it appears to be actual, as the boost gauge reports vacuum, consistent with what I've seen from staring at boost gauges for years.

I found that:
- I'm usually driving with my turbos unspooled - no boost!
- the insanity starts at 20psi boost
- I recorded a consistent 28psi boost max. I need to run a log to see what RPM that boost peak is at. That sounds like a LOT of boost (I'm on Eurocharged Stage 2 ECU flash). At 28psi things are absolutely mental, which leads me to doubt my TC is slipping...
- I now can see why normal brake boosting doesn't work - holding the brake down at a stop, it doesn't take much throttle to reach 22psi boost (it won't go higher). The second I release the brake, all that boost is GONE. I suspect the duck foot rat technique somehow keeps the boost from dissipating. If there is another way, maybe some way of rigging the blowoff valves, a modification to the ECU, I'd love to know!

I may be able to learn how to keep the boost up with this automatic, but seeing the boost led me to wish desperately for a manual transmission, so that I could directly manipulate the boost level through clutch slipping, etc.

I believe that if I can just keep my boost level high and consistent, I can cut down my drag times significantly.

4everRS
May 22nd, 2012, 04:26
You're not running 28lbs. That gauge sounds like its not correcting for atmospheric pressure.

kday
May 22nd, 2012, 04:27
Uh, what? You aren't making 22 PSI holding the brakes when stopped. At best there's something wrong with the units.

lswing
May 22nd, 2012, 06:20
I've been hitting the Ko4's with 19lbs and it's more than the car wants, going down to 16 or so this week, Kismet you should do some real logs with VAG and see where your car is at. Nice idea with the computer aids though....