PDA

View Full Version : sticking 2-3 shift...again: expert insight sought

kismetcapitan
May 22nd, 2012, 02:24
my car is refusing to shift into 3rd gear again, ONLY under the following circumstances:
- more than half-throttle, and attempts to shift early fail - the car ignores the paddle and sticks in 2nd until I lift off the throttle
- WOT, with or without kickdown switch depressed. In 1st, it hits 7000rpm then instantly shifts into 2nd, and the engine drops to 4500rpm (maybe 5000rpm? It hits redline again VERY quickly). The engine then hangs at redline, the car stops accelerating, and the car again ignores the paddle. Only lifting the throttle allows the car to go into 3rd.

3-4 shift at WOT, no problem
4-5 shift at WOT, no problem
Holding car at a stop with brake at 2000RPM, then drag launching at WOT, no problem going 1-2-3. (????)

Bad transmission gear? No VAGCOM codes, and it doesn't seem like the TC is slipping, as it passes the 5th gear 50mph highway test every time, and it pulls like a mother when in gear.

Or is the TC lockup sticking under load? It behaves exactly as if I were in a manual car in 2nd gear, and floored it until I hit redline, and forgot to shift. The rev limiter would kick in, holding engine speed there, and whatever speed I was at, I would stay at.

Software issue? Am I triggering some kind of failsafe to prevent grenading the TC with the throttle pinned and the transmission feels it unsafe to shift at maximum load and RPM?

Low transmission fluid?

This had been happening during the winter, and I thought it was a transmission temp issue. But it's pretty warm now, so I have to rule that out. I'm sorely tempted to just get a complete bulletproofed transmission, but $5000 is a pretty big hit to take in one month, and if the problem can be sorted more easily, well, that would be preferred! (if I could pull the transmission myself, as can be done with some other cars, I'd be more inclined to drop five grand on a complete new transmission). If only it were as simple as unbolt drive shafts (front and rear), unbolt bell housing, unbolt transmission mount, done....

lswing
May 22nd, 2012, 06:34
Hmmm, you've got a unique one there. Seems like you've been hitting the trans pretty hard with the drag and cross. But you should have a great rebuild already right, maybe they mucked it up a bit? My trans has been super smooth, but has jumped from 3-4 under WOT twice now. Get the car back in a day or two and will know what the fluid was like. I've only hit the kickdown switch a few times, but I would call it the trans destroyer switch, just hammers the tc and trans way harder than any reasonable shift, can't believe they have it on the car...

kismetcapitan
May 23rd, 2012, 06:31
ran at the dragstrip again tonight. with several bags of ice to cool down the airbox between runs, and race fuel, the car went faster...and no shifting problems at all.

what is it with partial throttle or shifting before redline that causes the car to choke and jam in 2nd, but a clean hard drag launch and the car pulls like a freight train and snaps smartly through every gear??

lswing
May 23rd, 2012, 20:41
Just giving this a thread bump really, it would be interesting to know what is going on and if anyone has experienced this. About all I can do is make assumptions. Maybe the gears are sticking due to a valve body pressure issue with the trans, and it takes the higher RPM hit to get them to shift clean. But no slipping or slipped gears you say?

kismetcapitan
May 23rd, 2012, 22:52
yep, no slipping at all. just sticking in 2nd gear under certain circumstances. Can't be the gears themselves - in each gear, I can hammer it and the car rockets off like a scalded pig. Just that weird sticking in 2nd gear.

It's like 2nd gear doesn't like being in between. The whole gearbox likes city driving (driving legally) - extremely smooth. It likes drag racing. It doesn't like part-throttle spirited driving :(