PDA

View Full Version : 2003 RS6 Sedan aftermarket brakes

LINIS
May 17th, 2012, 16:42
First of all, I would like to say that I'm new here, so hi to everybody!

I've just bought an 2003 RS6 sedan, which has problems with oem brakes- they are rusty and old, so I now need to change them with new rotors and pads. Unfortunately OEM parts are very expensive in Latvia..
I would like to hear some opinions from RS6 drivers about Zimmerman Formula Z rotors - good or bad? And what kind of pads should I use with zimmerman's?

Kind regards.

edit:
btw here is my new RS6 pic
http://i47.tinypic.com/2r3cld5.jpg

MaxRS6
May 17th, 2012, 17:03
Welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

LINIS
May 17th, 2012, 17:30
Thanks for greetings!
Yeah, the car is a bit crazy :D But first of all I need to get done with brakes, gearbox rebuild, Coilovers(I think H&R or KW variant 3) and little of bodywok :D Most important issue will be good brakes for that power, because it`s tuned to 700NM of torque and 513hp..

mik15
May 17th, 2012, 21:05
welcome aboard! i think i know the car, wasn't it for sale on mobile.de? i remember because in the add it was specified that the it has issues with the gearbox...how do you want to fix it? get a new gearbox from Audi or a rebuilt? As for suspension H&R has very good feedback in Europe from RS owners and it's at least half the price of an KW....if you look on ebay.de you can find OEM rotors for 500Eur which i think it is a good price....

lswing
May 17th, 2012, 22:57
Welcome!...my car was on one of those lovely trucks last week:)

LINIS
May 29th, 2012, 18:01
welcome aboard! i think i know the car, wasn't it for sale on mobile.de? i remember because in the add it was specified that the it has issues with the gearbox...how do you want to fix it? get a new gearbox from Audi or a rebuilt? As for suspension H&R has very good feedback in Europe from RS owners and it's at least half the price of an KW....if you look on ebay.de you can find OEM rotors for 500Eur which i think it is a good price....

Haven`t been here for a while:)
Now my rs6 has a rebuilt gearbox with warranty. I actually drove it for a couple hours in two days ago, and the brakes actually isn`t so bad, Audi dealer tested them and front axle was 4Kn or something like that, the rear was approx 3. But howewer I decided to replace them with Zimmerman Formula Z rotors and Ferodo DS series pads.
I have couple of questions:
1 I have offered to replace DRC with Bilstein PSS9 or KW V3, is there some electronic sensors or something included like that which can tell the car that original DRC is working and there is no problems? Which set of coilovers to chose? KW`s or Bilstein?
2 What tyres and sizes should I order for 18' wheels?
3 Is there a possibility to order new plastic covers for headlights? Or I need to buy new OEM ones.
What is a normal price for them in Europe?
4 Where to get OEM alluminium gas and brake pedals and footrest?

I`m impressed with the power of my BEAST when I floor it :hahahehe:, btw here he is cleaned :)
http://i48.tinypic.com/30ii6ac.jpg

mik15
May 29th, 2012, 20:02
1. both Bilstein and KW have very good feedback from users, KW mostly in US and Bilstein in Europe, either way you can't wrong! The DRC is purely a mechanical system, so just rip it off and that's it, no strings attached!
2. i am running on my 18" stock wheels, 255/40/18 all 4 corners, Xl rated and maximum speed, i have Michelin PS3, pricey but very good!
3. no option, polish it and then apply a protective clear film, should last longer and if they go back to yellow just replace the film!
4. ebay, ecstuning, etc...

BTW - the car looks very good, i like it! Do you have the SatNav system? what's the mileage?

LINIS
May 29th, 2012, 20:16
1. both Bilstein and KW have very good feedback from users, KW mostly in US and Bilstein in Europe, either way you can't wrong! The DRC is purely a mechanical system, so just rip it off and that's it, no strings attached!
2. i am running on my 18" stock wheels, 255/40/18 all 4 corners, Xl rated and maximum speed, i have Michelin PS3, pricey but very good!
3. no option, polish it and then apply a protective clear film, should last longer and if they go back to yellow just replace the film!
4. ebay, ecstuning, etc...

BTW - the car looks very good, i like it! Do you have the SatNav system? what's the mileage?
Yeah, it has SatNav, but doesn`t work right now, need a repair I think in fuses, and the milage is about 191000km, but it`s still good enough.

mik15
May 29th, 2012, 20:28
it's not at all a high mileage, these engines can go far more than this point, you can easily get 4-500k km, just take good care of it :)

LINIS
June 28th, 2012, 21:55
Hi again!
Some updates about repairings of the Latvian BEAST :D
I`ve decided to put KW V3 coilover kit on, allready bought and will get it soon :) New zimmerman formula Z rotors are on the way,
however I can`t find where to buy front and rear Ferodo DS2500 pads for this car in Europe, some advices where to search? ebay.co.uk and ebay.de stores are empty.. Maybe I should just put the EBC stuffs?

lswing
June 28th, 2012, 22:12
Hawk HPS for street or HPS+ for track gets the job done....

EBC have rubbed some people and rotors wrong...

ben916
June 28th, 2012, 22:25
NO! don't do the EBC!!! there is something wrong as the pads are depositing a blue-ish material onto the rotors.
In one case, they pads were completely destroyed!
If you are able, look for Hawk pads.

1 KW V3
2 OEM 255/40/18 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports
3 you can try to polish up the exterior or a new headlight is in the range of $650-$900 US per side.
4 Where to get OEM alluminium gas and brake pedals and footrest? OEMPLUS here in the USA, I don't think they are aluminum, I think they are stainless steel.

4everRS
June 28th, 2012, 22:56
I think these cars may just to heavy and demanding the the EBC compound. I have had bad experiences. EBC had to buy me new rotors because of it.

LINIS
June 28th, 2012, 23:00
Thanks for info! I`ll try to avoid any EBC products.
btw how about Pagid pads? I am trying to get something from european ebay sites because from USA need to wait for weeks to get something shipped to here + we have to pay taxes for importing items over 100$. That`s the reason I`m trying to get the parts from European sellers.

yagey
June 28th, 2012, 23:10
NO! don't do the EBC!!! there is something wrong as the pads are depositing a blue-ish material onto the rotors.

1 KW V3
2 OEM 255/40/18 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports
3 you can try to polish up the exterior or a new headlight is in the range of $650-$900 US per side.
4 Where to get OEM alluminium gas and brake pedals and footrest? OEMPLUS here in the USA, I don't think they are aluminum, I think they are stainless steel.

Is that oemparts.net ?

ben916
June 29th, 2012, 05:12
nope, click here but you will more than likely have to call them (http://www.oemplus.com/audi-models-a6s6rs6-4b-c-60_72.html)

Ferodos = http://shop.elitemotorsport.net/BRAKES_c157.htm

LINIS
August 7th, 2012, 02:51
Hi to all,
my beast is now in garage and the repairing jobs has started, I will repair almost everything including new brake rotors, caliper rebuild, ferodo ds2500 pads, timing belt with waterpump and etc, new alu pedals from plus model, KW V3 coilovers, Led tails, new front lights, of course new paint job will be included for my BEAST :D

Just one question, what wheels should I buy and install??? :)
please keep in mind that I`m not buying anything bigger than 18` from 7.5J to 8.5J, because of the tyres I`ve already bought and Latvian roads which are very bumpy :D

I`ve found these Sparco Asseto Gara Black
http://www.pkp.lv/diski600/232.jpg

Or these OZ Racing Superturismo GT Black:
http://www.pkp.lv/diski600/238.jpg

What are your opinions?

P.S. I believe, I`ll need to rename this Thread as "Latvian BEAST" because very little of contents here are about brakes :D

lswing
August 7th, 2012, 16:26
Those OZ wheels look great to me! Personally I like a more filled in wheel so as not to expose so much of the brakes/inner wheel. Although our front brakes are something to behold:)

Fix list; IC's hoses, test and repair leaking stock IC's, metal oil cooler pipe James Bufkin, motor mounts, check turbos for play although mine were still pretty good after 90k.

LINIS
February 11th, 2013, 16:57
Finally we have completed to rebuild the beast, and it passed technical inspection with no technical issues and is technically in mint condition.. It just flies when i floor the pedal! :)
However it has some electrical issues, like, the mfsw radio buttons do not work, and telematics system issue about some battery.. Here are the pics of faults I've noticed. Can you suggest which way to dig? :D

I appologize for large images..

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/linards777/96d47bc6651f838fd108acd46327fe6a.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/linards777/858a4e858e43f8bcb54f5b8a23db604d.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/linards777/734212b98d5a72af2d4157c8b49c3364.jpg

hahnmgh63
February 11th, 2013, 17:13
The Telematics Lithium Ion Battery goes bad after a few years. It is located under the passenger side carpet towards the front of the footwell. It is in a small plastic/foam covering. The whole Telematics module along with the battery should be removed since the old Analog Telematics doesn't work anymore. The GPS antenna going to the Telematics can be stretched after cutting some electrical tape and pulled all the way to the area behind the radio in order to use it for an RNS-E install rather than using a makeshift magnetic antenna puck under the dash.

LINIS
February 11th, 2013, 17:20
The Telematics Lithium Ion Battery goes bad after a few years. It is located under the passenger side carpet towards the front of the footwell. It is in a small plastic/foam covering. The whole Telematics module along with the battery should be removed since the old Analog Telematics doesn't work anymore. The GPS antenna going to the Telematics can be stretched after cutting some electrical tape and pulled all the way to the area behind the radio in order to use it for an RNS-E install rather than using a makeshift magnetic antenna puck under the dash.
Thanks a lot for help, i'll check it out, if i remove that telematics module, the telematics fault will disappear?

JSRS6
February 11th, 2013, 17:46
I think these cars may just to heavy and demanding the the EBC compound. I have had bad experiences. EBC had to buy me new rotors because of it.

How hard was that? I'm probably too far gone.

G2
February 12th, 2013, 06:41
[QUOTE=ben916;235969]NO! don't do the EBC!!! there is something wrong as the pads are depositing a blue-ish material onto the rotors.

QUOTE]

Sounds like the pads were rejecting heat and causing the rotors to overheat: hence the blue "deposits". I've only seen this with the EBC RedSTuff pads.

We've used EBC on all sorts of cars and trucks with great results. The ONLY reservation I have with EBC is the Red ceramic pads. Heavy, high power vehicles always get Yellow Stuff pads if I have the choice.