PDA

View Full Version : APR 100 octane tune and general race fuel thoughts

kismetcapitan
May 17th, 2012, 13:39
APR advertises their 93 octane tune at 520/538, but no mention of what it does on 100 octane (R+M)/2

Anyone know what the gain is?

On other tunes, how much is gained by using race fuel - thus keeping the car from pulling ignition timing and/or reducing boost due to imminent knock?

I'm running rookie class drags again tomorrow, and might bump up the octane for Saturday's SCCA race, although neither engine nor brakes are really pushed, if you run the course correctly (tires and engine braking do much of the work).

Anyways, Sunoco 100 octane is available, and I'm considering buying some ACES IV. Just curious as to how much power is "gained" by keeping the boost and ignition at specified levels, and reduce power loss through heat soak and other knock-inducing conditions.

terrytcl
May 17th, 2012, 15:31
if you can adjust the timing (advance), then you'd probably gain something. that's also if your current tune is causing detonation / knock. If not, i don't think you'd gain anything.

on the revo, you can bump up the timing. i had it set at setting 6 (from a modified setting of 3) without any detonation/knock with 106 octane. probably could've bumped it up more, but didn't want to keep logging.
the power gain was definitely noticeable. the car wanted to keep going. love the smell of race gas. not sure how much "real" gain though.

lswing
May 17th, 2012, 16:02
I would think the race gas would at least help run smoother, can't hurt when running more boost and timing. The Revo has the 100 setting, basically bumps up boost and timing even higher, not sure the numbers. I never logged data with Aces IV, but butt dyno says the effect was minimal to stop my reduction in timing due to too much boost and not enough octane/fuel...

The water meth kit has all but got rid of the symptoms of timing pulled too far and causing some knock...running 49 meth/51 water mix. I do need to the drop the boost a bit still since I'm running 92 pump....

terrytcl
May 17th, 2012, 16:34
by the way, i did some octane boost testing on my own.

i was able to bump up my timing +2 on the revo by just using a bottle of the Lucas octane booster (1/2 tank of gas). Wouldn't recommend running it all the time. I'm sure there are deposits that would build up either in the engine or sensors. In any case, it worked the best for me. i use it when it's on sale, which is about once every 1-2 months.

terrytcl
May 17th, 2012, 16:35
NOS octane boost worked the same, but the Lucas octane boost seems to be on sale more often.

the other stuff on the shelves don't work. couldn't move the timing adjustment on the revo.

dab
May 18th, 2012, 15:40
I use the aces on my apr tune, performance was dramatic different on the 100 octane setting. 0-100 in 8.9 secs with a terrible launch and I haven't taken it to the dragstrip but will soon. Aces is the way to go, there is not engine knock and 2.5 ounces per tank of gas it is simple. My nissan murano was hesitating like it wasn't getting enough gas, added some Aces to the tank and voila running well again. Check the rest of the site for Aces information.

lswing
May 18th, 2012, 15:58
I use the aces on my apr tune, performance was dramatic different on the 100 octane setting. 0-100 in 8.9 secs with a terrible launch and I haven't taken it to the dragstrip but will soon. Aces is the way to go, there is not engine knock and 2.5 ounces per tank of gas it is simple. My nissan murano was hesitating like it wasn't getting enough gas, added some Aces to the tank and voila running well again. Check the rest of the site for Aces information.

I call complete BS, plain and simple, seen it with logs, it will not reduce all knock, might help a touch...all cases are different, but you sound like a salesman without much relevant info, just saying....

EDIT; although my previous post says no logging, I did, and still got timing pulled a bunch causing knock....

lswing
May 18th, 2012, 16:08
My nissan murano was hesitating like it wasn't getting enough gas, added some Aces to the tank and voila running well again. Check the rest of the site for Aces information.

And even if it helps some with our tuned RS6's, this line just brings the REALLY????? out of me, how about tuning up your Murano and fixing the real problem....ughhhh......rant over!:)

dab
May 18th, 2012, 17:48
And even if it helps some with our tuned RS6's, this line just brings the REALLY????? out of me, how about tuning up your Murano and fixing the real problem....ughhhh......rant over!:)

having a bad day, keep it to yourself

lswing
May 18th, 2012, 18:06
Actually doing pretty good, and I shouldn't be so negative with a post, my apologies. Just always been a fan of fix it right and not relying so much on extra fluids.

kismetcapitan
May 18th, 2012, 18:25
if ACES IV truly adds that much octane boost, it will have that effect. Keep in mind that tetraethyl lead remains one of the most powerful octane boosters, and you only need like 5 grams per gallon to get over 100 octane.

aussie rs6
May 18th, 2012, 18:34
APR advertises their 93 octane tune at 520/538, but no mention of what it does on 100 octane (R+M)/2

Anyone know what the gain is?

On other tunes, how much is gained by using race fuel - thus keeping the car from pulling ignition timing and/or reducing boost due to imminent knock?

I'm running rookie class drags again tomorrow, and might bump up the octane for Saturday's SCCA race, although neither engine nor brakes are really pushed, if you run the course correctly (tires and engine braking do much of the work).

Anyways, Sunoco 100 octane is available, and I'm considering buying some ACES IV. Just curious as to how much power is "gained" by keeping the boost and ignition at specified levels, and reduce power loss through heat soak and other knock-inducing conditions.

My real life experience from the quarter mile strip with my C5 RS6 with APR switchable ECMS tune switched to US 93 octane map through the cruise control stick is 12.9 secs with US 93 octane fuel on APR 93 tune.

Switched to US 98 octane map, ran 12.5 secs using leaded 98 US octane (race fuel) with APR US 98 octane tune.

same 0-60ft time of 2.0 secs for both tunes. No figures officially quoted by APR in Oz for US 98 octane tune with US98 octane race fuel, but it does make a difference.

Based on 0.4 sec improvement over the quarter on same night, I would say the US 98 octane tune and fuel must add around at least 40 bhp over the 93 US octane tune.

So you will notice the difference in ET between the two tunes on the strip, i can assure you. Not so much through the seat of the pants, but ET is the final arbiter on how fast the car is accelerating from standstill.

The C6 RS6 5 litre V10 TT is a different beast, but the difference between the US 93 octane tune and US 98 octane tune is claimed by APR from dyno run to be increase of 76bhp and 73 ft-lbs taking it up to 741 bhp and 779ft-lbs!!

I have only tried the APR US 93 octane map and fuel and have recorded 11.7 secs ET and 0 -100mph in 7.8 secs.

I will try the APR US 98 octane map and US 98 octane non-leaded fuel and see what the real life track ET difference is.

I have been told that leaded US 98 octane ( race fuel) kills the EGT sensors eventually.

just my two cents worth.
john