PDA

View Full Version : ...i've got myself a rebuilt GB and a new TC...so i've been told, but...

mik15
May 16th, 2012, 17:55
here is the thing....a friend of mine had his GB rebuilt at a specialized garage here and they're saying that they have also put in a new TC, after the rebuilt he drove the car very few miles and even though there were no error codes thrown by the GB or the TC, something wasn't quite right with it, i have only driven it a few miles when i scanned it but it was hard to actually see what was wrong because his engine wasn't running well due to all O2, EGT and speed sensors which were failed, had errors on VagCom from all of them so i couldn't really see exactly how the GB performs, i did feel a bump from 3rd to 4th, i guess, but i am not sure...in the end he bought a used GB complete with the TC and it seems now to be running slightly better considering that he still hasn't fixed the sensors....he gave me for free the old gearbox and the TC so i am now kind of confused especially regarding the TC, how can i make sure it is indeed new? there was still oil in it and i spilled some and it was clean as the water, no debris, no little pieces of metal, nothing, it was as it would came out of the bottle....i have also talked with the owner of the garage and he told me that the TC is new and that they've changed the clutches but he thinks that the problem might be due to some pressure loss which they couldn't figured out where it comes from...how can i check that the TC is new? my plan is to open the GB and check the clearances of the clutches and the VB, that is what my mechanic is saying that might be the issue...what do you think?

TozoM8
May 16th, 2012, 18:02
The second clutch (B clutch) is 4th and 5th. If the reduced the clearance, it will have a little kick.

mik15
May 16th, 2012, 18:05
that is what my mechanic thinks, that they've got the clearances wrong on the clutches and is the first thing he wants to check....is there any way i can verify that the TC is new? when scanned there was no error and the oil looks very clean. Is there a serial # on it that might be of any help?

ttboost
May 16th, 2012, 18:42
When in doubt and you have to time...send the TC to ACE anyway...cheap insurance and it will be WAYY better. Does the car have a TCU chip? Sounds like it doesn't?

mik15
May 16th, 2012, 18:56
mine doesn't, the car it used to be on before had the MTM chip...

ttboost
May 16th, 2012, 18:59
Get it done. Makes all the difference in the world when it comes to shifting and drivablility...

Chung
May 16th, 2012, 23:25
Ok, sorry for my ignorance. What is a GB?

lswing
May 16th, 2012, 23:45
Gear Box....took me a sec also....

Chung
May 17th, 2012, 00:18
I knew I would be kicking myself once someone told me.