PDA

View Full Version : RS6 - stage 2 and higher

vtraudt
May 14th, 2012, 14:29
Quick question.
Stock boost on the RS6 is 12 psi and stock power is 450Hp.
What can be expected with a stage 2 tune?
The RS6 has the larger torque converter (compared the S4/A6 etc TIP); any ideas what the power limits are for that one?
Does someone offer an upgraded transmission, and if so, what are the upgraded power limits?

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 17:10
I think stock boost is 9 psi, and the Revo stage 2 just deletes the O2 codes for the "stage 2" if you're going catless. Figure your boost going up to around 15-19 depending on the tune. What's your tune? Most companies advertise the gains and details on their site, usually around 50-60hp and torque...ACE rebuilt TC would be good, and there are shops that do the trans, recommend both...

formula1man
May 14th, 2012, 18:46
The MTM stage 2 is 545 I believe (maybe 535) without huge modifications. Made a huge difference in my beast, along with catless downpipes, and different intake system.

Chung
May 14th, 2012, 21:27
Quick question.
Stock boost on the RS6 is 12 psi and stock power is 450Hp.
What can be expected with a stage 2 tune?
The RS6 has the larger torque converter (compared the S4/A6 etc TIP); any ideas what the power limits are for that one?
Does someone offer an upgraded transmission, and if so, what are the upgraded power limits?

I think the power limit for the stock torque converter is around 400 hp.

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 21:30
I think the power limit for the stock torque converter is around 400 hp.

But the car comes with 450....wait a second, you're not saying.........

May 14th, 2012, 21:40
Converter isn't that much bigger on the RS....just enough to be a PITA for parts.

mi021le
May 14th, 2012, 22:48
At 387 wheel I was fine. At 434 wheel the trans went. Hope that helps

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 23:25
At 387 wheel I was fine. At 434 wheel the trans went. Hope that helps

What engine mods and boost/tune levels were you running at the time? Sounds close to 550-570 at the engine? Dyno charts? No dyno numbers here, but after putting the W/M tank on my car I've slipped a gear in third (up to 4th) a few times, REVO tune with 19lbs boost, increased timing...

vtraudt
May 15th, 2012, 03:36
Wow, thanks guys for the active responses.
On my current 2.7T I went from reported 247 cHP to 320 cHP (calculated based on MAF, 'torque' (ECU value)) on custom stage 2 tune (gutted downpipes, main cat delete).

I am currently building RS4 based RS6 turbos for the 2.7T; with fueling, larger MAF housing, upgraded intercooler (FMIC), I can realistically expect 420 awhp or 550 cHP.

The comments seem to indicated that the torque converter and/or transmission are limiting the potential of the Cosworth engine substantially (I would venture a guess the engine is good for 800 cHP).

I was hoping to upgrade the turbos with a very nice, efficient compressor wheel that I found and that seems to be a very good fit. But if the trans/TC are already borderline at 550 chp (or 25% over stock !!!), there seem to be very limited (and consequently expansive) upgrade solutions available. No sense in upgrading the turbos to 700HP if the trans is falling apart at little over stock power.

Quite disappointing.

4everRS
May 15th, 2012, 03:58
The cosworth is good for a LOT more. Money is the only limiting factor. Google Gumpert Apollo.

Get some loba cams and turbos. Add thicker head gasket. Bigger injectors on separate fuel rails. Plasma coil packs. High flow intake and exhaust. Meth injection. Custom tune, and I bet over 700 is going to happen.

May 15th, 2012, 04:42
2.7T with the -19? When you say trans falling apart, what fails first? A-clutch? T/C? Just curious.

leprs6
May 15th, 2012, 05:52
Excuse me buting into this thread. I just found this intersting. I AM NOT RICH but just bought an RS6 with 88K miles. Seems to be in great shape with no noticble problems. I checked it out based on some DIY from this forum (THANKS). I would like to go to the next stage, but I cant get a clear idea of where to go and what I am going to spend. I want a little more poop and and tranny flash. Where and How much. My boss just beat me in his 2007 BMW 335i chipped. I dont want that to happen anymore.

lswing
May 15th, 2012, 06:13
Get a tune and don't flog the car too much, unless you're ready, and be ready, to drop $5-8k on TC and trans...

Remember, you have quattro over the bimmer and more space.

Tune can be software, tcu is solder in Mtm chip...

kismetcapitan
May 15th, 2012, 08:57
The cosworth is good for a LOT more. Money is the only limiting factor. Google Gumpert Apollo.

Get some loba cams and turbos. Add thicker head gasket. Bigger injectors on separate fuel rails. Plasma coil packs. High flow intake and exhaust. Meth injection. Custom tune, and I bet over 700 is going to happen.

way more than that. By upgrading all major systems with a "reasonable" street ignition map, 200bhp/liter is the minimum you can milk out of an engine. That's 840hp at the crank.

As good as our auto slushboxes are, they're still automatics. Torque converters suck up a lot of power. If I hadn't gotten all my tuning cravings out on my Skyline, I'd completely redo the fuel system to run on E85 with much bigger injectors, upgrade the ignition system (more boost equals spark blowout problems unless the spark is a freaking arc welder), put bigger turbos (stock turbos are very small for a 4.2 liter engine; hell, they're smaller than the stock turbos Nissan put on the 2.6 liter Skyline), look at the intercooler system/consider meth injection for charge cooling, and swap to a 6 speed manual.

I think what may have kept most RS6s in mild states of tune (520-ish BHP) are concerns over engine life, lack of off-the-shelf tuning parts and well-established power upgrade pathways, but mostly, how much of a pain it is to do custom maps on the Audi ECU; Audi has that ECU failsafe that shuts down the ECU when you write to it, allowing about 30 seconds of reflash time before it shuts down. When I got my Stage 2 reflash, Eurocharged had to do it in something like ten chunks, with the ECU shutting down after each chunk of data.

And with a custom engine, the map MUST be individualized through dyno and street mapping. Oh, and with turbos pushing 800bhp, the torque peak won't be at 2000rpm, it'll be more like 4000rpm, and with a 6500rpm rev limit (or is it 7000? I've seen 7K many times), that's not a lot of powerband to work with, and a lot of lag before the turbos start spinning.

Amar
May 15th, 2012, 09:16
I had my car custom mapped by MRC on their dyno, engine and TCU. I am at stage two with the following spec.

Milltek catback
Milltek catless downpipes
ITG filters
RS2 Spark Plugs

The car made 530 BHP and 844 NM. I'm not sure of the wheel horsepower as it wasn't on the graph, but last year on the same dyno it made 467 BHP crank and 389 at the wheels if anyone wants to work it out? I guess the percentage loss will stay the same.

They have also just finished a 600 BHP RS6 for a member on the RS246 forum. From what I've heard it is more or less impossible to get past 550 BHP on the standard RS6 manifolds. MRC also had a manual 760 BHP RS6 in when I dropped mine off and that along with their other 600 BHP conversions have required a modified inconnel manifold setup.

4everRS
May 15th, 2012, 12:33
Amar, what brand/part # spark plugs are the RS2?

Edit: oh, and where do you buy the ITG filters.

Amar
May 15th, 2012, 13:35
I bought both the ITG filters and RS2 spark plugs from MRC. The ITG filters are MRC branded and built to their spec, the spark plug part number is F5DPOR, and they are made by Bosch. My car has been running them from around 10k miles with no problems whatsoever. Mine are OEM with the Audi logo on them.

Here is a link to MRC.

<cite>www.mrctuning.com/</cite>

TozoM8
May 15th, 2012, 14:36
The RS6 TC is 1.5" larger than n/a 4.2 and it is a dual clutch converter. It will hold more power than the trans can take.

4everRS
May 15th, 2012, 15:07
The RS6 TC is 1.5" larger than n/a 4.2 and it is a dual clutch converter. It will hold more power than the trans can take.
Mine didn't. The new one from ACE is though.

hahnmgh63
May 15th, 2012, 15:30
The plugs he calls the RS2, Bosch F5DPOR are the same plugs that the 1992-1995 UrS4 & UrS6 came with here in N.America. I know in those cars there was no other plug that seemed to work as well, back in the day they were the first plug that I spent over $15 for. I haven't heard of people dropping them in the 4.2 but I've got a set I'm dropping in my 1.8t tt.

May 16th, 2012, 02:06
My boss just beat me in his 2007 BMW 335i chipped. I dont want that to happen anymore.

You might want to try "My RS has no boost" if you were beat by more than a car length. Best I can tell is stock 335i is 0-60 5.5 (a little bit slower than my blown Vic) and a chipped one is 4.8.....RS should be right there.

If you weren't close, you aren't making boost. I've had it happen with mine. Sometimes she is there, sometimes not. 5150

4everRS
May 16th, 2012, 02:48
The plugs he calls the RS2, Bosch F5DPOR are the same plugs that the 1992-1995 UrS4 & UrS6 came with here in N.America. I know in those cars there was no other plug that seemed to work as well, back in the day they were the first plug that I spent over $15 for. I haven't heard of people dropping them in the 4.2 but I've got a set I'm dropping in my 1.8t tt.
Soooo, are these plugs better than NGK?

Stephencl
May 16th, 2012, 03:26
Excuse me buting into this thread. I just found this intersting. I AM NOT RICH but just bought an RS6 with 88K miles. Seems to be in great shape with no noticble problems. I checked it out based on some DIY from this forum (THANKS). I would like to go to the next stage, but I cant get a clear idea of where to go and what I am going to spend. I want a little more poop and and tranny flash. Where and How much. My boss just beat me in his 2007 BMW 335i chipped. I dont want that to happen anymore.

Hmmmm, I call driver error, or your new ride may not be putting out the right power..sorry my brother has a chipped 335 as well...before my rs6 died last september, I would repeatedly flog him.....from a standing start, or from anywhere after that..

Good luck, lots of great tunes out there.

Stephen

leprs6
May 16th, 2012, 04:17
Thanks for all the ideas. He had me by a car length out of the hole and it definately had to do with my poor driving. I had the car for about an hour and 5 miles. After reading all the posts on here I see that the power band is about 2-5 K and I will work on my driving habits. He is chipped and I will get him next time, after a tune. I just need to find a good nearby shop that can do one at a reasonable cost.

May 16th, 2012, 04:29
So much to know about this car. If it makes 450 you will know, if the boost is down and it is making 375 you will know. Wife brought mine home and I drove it and went...."Meh, this is all there is?" Turns out one MAF was bad costing me about 100hp. When mine (Sportec chipped) is running right and making 505.....holy s#!t hang on and I love it. So get it running right first, then move to chipping, stage 2/3/4 etc. Have a blast with your ride!

ben916
May 16th, 2012, 04:51

Add Rain...

Edit: Also heat soak will rob you of power so don't be a fool and rev your engine... also search for rat-foot-duck technic...

Amar
May 16th, 2012, 04:56
You might want to try "My RS has no boost" if you were beat by more than a car length. Best I can tell is stock 335i is 0-60 5.5 (a little bit slower than my blown Vic) and a chipped one is 4.8.....RS should be right there.

If you weren't close, you aren't making boost. I've had it happen with mine. Sometimes she is there, sometimes not. 5150

How did you fix that then, did something need replacing/renewing?

May 16th, 2012, 05:04
Add Rain...

+1 LMAO......or 6 inches of slush!

kismetcapitan
May 16th, 2012, 05:24
So much to know about this car. If it makes 450 you will know, if the boost is down and it is making 375 you will know. Wife brought mine home and I drove it and went...."Meh, this is all there is?" Turns out one MAF was bad costing me about 100hp. When mine (Sportec chipped) is running right and making 505.....holy s#!t hang on and I love it. So get it running right first, then move to chipping, stage 2/3/4 etc. Have a blast with your ride!

how did you know the MAF was bad - VAGCOM scan?

May 16th, 2012, 12:36
Had a MAF implausible code along with sometimes a bank 1/2 lean code. Only had a handheld scanner so went through a lot of things I didn't need to do looking for a leak (redo the I/C's, vacuum leaks, etc) Finally got VCDS lite from VagCom and a 99cent USB-ODBII from eBay. Spent 4 hours getting the laptop to talk to the car and was able to look at the flow values at idle. One was reading 4, the other was zero. Swapped to make sure it wasn't wiring. Replaced it for the time being with a MAF from an Audi TT and the car has been great ever since (most of the time).