PDA

View Full Version : Suspension... What do you have, what should I run?

Justin9212
May 14th, 2012, 02:59
The stock suspension is dead. One strut is leaking, the rest are very worn. I would like the idea of lowering the just a little bit. My big concern is how it will perform on the road course, I do not at all care about ride comfort. What are everyone's experiences and recommendations?

hahnmgh63
May 14th, 2012, 03:34
How much are you looking to spend? Do you want it adjustable for height and damping? Are you planning on regular track events?

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 07:43
Koni's, set and forget, drops about .5" or so depending, $1k....coilovers, you know what they do, $2-3k, kw-v3 seems to be the consensus....my koni's have been feeling nice even on soft, some guys running them firm and guessing it's a sweet handling ride...also using stock springs...

Justin9212
May 14th, 2012, 13:18
The Koni's sound like a great plan. I have been leaning toward a coilover setup just so I can have the correct stance I'm looking for, but would perfer a strut and spring combo that is install and forget. My only fear would be ending up with too much rake. I like a level car, not at all a fan of the nose dive look.

JSRS6
May 14th, 2012, 15:25
For racing, especially road course, i highly suggest you get a good coil over system and set it up right, or have a shop that specializes in motorsport suspensions to do it, and get it corner balanced there as well.

4.2Crew
May 14th, 2012, 15:29
The Koni's sound like a great plan. I have been leaning toward a coilover setup just so I can have the correct stance I'm looking for, but would perfer a strut and spring combo that is install and forget. My only fear would be ending up with too much rake. I like a level car, not at all a fan of the nose dive look.

The Koni fronts have only one perch height, the rears have two perch height settings... If you set the rears on the lowest perch setting while reusing the oem springs, the ride should be exactly level with a drop of approx 1/2" in the front... My ass dropped about 11/16". The rear drop will be slightly different from car to car depending upon existing DRC hydraulic pressure (or lack thereof.)

Pics of mine after the Koni install:

Note: The Koni's only have rebound dampening adjustability.... And to adjust, the entire strut/spring assembly needs to come out. I have mine set to almost the softest setting as a daily driver... Set to full firm for a road course, I'd imagine it'd be a very harsh ride!

terrytcl
May 14th, 2012, 16:29
anyone have the koni part numbers?

4.2Crew
May 14th, 2012, 16:37
anyone have the koni part numbers?

Quick search yeilds :

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23946-Completed-DIY-DRC-removal-swap-with-Koni-Yellow-Sports....?p=229401&viewfull=1#post229401

4rth post down has part #'s

kismetcapitan
May 14th, 2012, 23:14
my Konis are set to maximum. With H&R springs and Hotchkis roll bars, it's pretty rattling. I've actually flown upwards out of my seat like on a roller coaster on really hard bumps!

But the cornering, now that the struts seem to have settled in, is astonishing for a car this size.

Aronis
May 15th, 2012, 13:44
KWv3 with Hotchkiss front and rear.

Mike

(and I am going to paint my Hotchkiss bars blue so I can be right...LOL)

MaxRS6
May 15th, 2012, 15:22
^lol............

Aronis
May 15th, 2012, 18:16
I am looking at the photo with aperture and there are blue highlights on the bar. It's blue....

Aronis
May 22nd, 2012, 22:11
They are.......

Black.

LOL