PDA

View Full Version : Pics of stereo

formula1man
May 14th, 2012, 02:20
Here is my first attempt at adding pictures, so hope it goes well. I put in a Kenwood 9980 HD, 2 pairs of Alpine SPX Pro 6.5" with crossovers, 2 kenwood Ampsand 2 MB Quart 12" Subwoofers that are hidden.
The most importiant part for me is to make sure that the constant and
'key on" power sources are directly from the car wiring and not from the exsisting car audio. The Subwoofer power is again a direct power source from you amplifier(s) and not from the BOSE system. The way that I had extra room for the subwoofers way removint the exsisting Audi nav unit and the brackets and the BOSE subwoofer system on the other side. The Amplifiers went in easily and wired them up. If I were to do it over again, I would have placed the crossovers in the doors rather that in the wheel well (and yes, I can still, though barely) get the spare out.
All in all I would say it sounds about 150% better.

na1mt
May 14th, 2012, 02:41
1st attempt at pics.......FAIL.....lol

na1mt
May 14th, 2012, 02:43
It is super easy if you have a photobucket account.

Justin9212
May 14th, 2012, 02:55
Are the subs just in free air? If so what is the Resonance Frequency? That seems like a terrible idea.

mrdave
May 14th, 2012, 03:28
Is there an enclosure behind the subs? If not, then they're not doing anything except for vibrating.

Brav
May 14th, 2012, 07:16
Is there an enclosure behind the subs? If not, then they're not doing anything except for vibrating.

True that.

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 07:30
Where is the battery at, looks like the amp is in its place?....yep, gotta make some custom enclosures for the good sound, nice looking deck though!

JSRS6
May 14th, 2012, 11:14
Where is the battery at, looks like the amp is in its place?....yep, gotta make some custom enclosures for the good sound, nice looking deck though!

ummmm, where is YOUR battery located? :hihi:

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 17:12
ummmm, where is YOUR battery located? :hihi:

In the trunk like any reasonable car, next to the W/M tank:) I was looking at the pic wrong, good catch....

formula1man
May 14th, 2012, 18:44
Sorry it took a while to get back to you all. I actually had 2 x 12" Alpine Pro series in a nice box that came to about 80lbs, which for me was too much weight. The "free air" seems as though it would only vibrate and sound poor. What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations. I thought for sure I was going to have to make custom ported enclosures, but there was no need. I know that there will be critics, and as I used to install stereos in the distant past I would have been one as well, but it does seem to work. I will be adding some in-line filters though.

mrdave
May 14th, 2012, 20:28
What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations.
Those speakers, as you have them mounted, are not capable of generating any sort of meaningful sound. They may not be rattling any bits of the vehicle, but it's also not adding to the sound output of your audio system. Leave them that way if you'd like but you're not taking advantage of your investment unless you put those speakers into some sort of enclosure.

formula1man
May 15th, 2012, 04:09
I think that it is plenty of Bass for me as it does not overpower the rest of the system. I will admit that you are correct that for the most potential it should be in its own enclosure. At some point, time permitting, I will look into creating a mold for this with some high density plastic.

kismetcapitan
May 15th, 2012, 09:06
it doesn't look like it would work, but if it is, then it is. Do you have test CDs for bass? I use certain jazz and classical discs to test subwoofer accuracy and stereo separation. But in my current system, I'm just trying to get my Pioneer Appradio to work with the Bose system. I wish I had more options for the crossovers, instead of just 50, 80 and 120 hz. I found today that reversing the phase of the subwoofer output in the settings created a much stronger and tighter bass and pushed the soundstage up onto the dash finally.

still not as crisp as the stock Symphony headunit; more tweaking is required. But in terms of volume, I'm not rattling windows, but with the Audi's very low noise floor, it doesn't have to be very loud to feel like it's loud as hell.

kismetcapitan
May 15th, 2012, 09:22
it doesn't look like it would work, but if it is, then it is. Do you have test CDs for bass? I use certain jazz and classical discs to test subwoofer accuracy and stereo separation. But in my current system, I'm just trying to get my Pioneer Appradio to work with the Bose system. I wish I had more options for the crossovers, instead of just 50, 80 and 120 hz. I found today that reversing the phase of the subwoofer output in the settings created a much stronger and tighter bass and pushed the soundstage up onto the dash finally.

still not as crisp as the stock Symphony headunit; more tweaking is required. But in terms of volume, I'm not rattling windows, but with the Audi's very low noise floor, it doesn't have to be very loud to feel like it's loud as hell.