PDA

View Full Version : anyone close to this car?

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 00:19
seems to good to pass up as I just saw one today in town and decided to take a look again. darn that rs6's amazing looks (still). I am up in Bend, OR but taking a trip down to SoCal and the end of the month

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=93420&endYear=2013&modelCode1=RS6&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500&listingId=320002150&Log=0

lswing
May 11th, 2012, 00:24
I like how they offer no short term warranty....the more I have this car, the more I realize how much $$ in maintenance goes into it...easily hitting $8k this year, but it's updating a lot of old and worn parts at the same time!

All work I consider to be a restoration project:)

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 00:48
yeah, with a good PPI and this thing checking out it seems like it would be a good deal? the car is basically priced at KBB trade in. let me know if there are any takers down there that could look at it before I pursuit this and get a PPI scheduled

thanks!

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 03:58
anyone? i'd buy you some beer...

May 11th, 2012, 14:12
Just go for it! Save the PPI money and buy yourself some whiskey. If it doesn't have docs for all the maintenance just assume it hasn't been done. Trans, T/C, I/C, MAF, etc,etc,etc.

Good price.

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 14:46
true, if I fixed a couple things I would still be back up to retail price on the car... thinking it over today!

as350
May 11th, 2012, 16:03
TJ: BendJeff, I recently moved to Bend. What a great city. Are there any other forum members here? Maybe we need to go grab a beer.

lswing
May 11th, 2012, 16:10
I'll let you guys know if I head over this summer....

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 16:24
as350, if you like beer you have come to the right place! haha. whereabouts are you in town? I definitely have not seen your car around town yet. I have seen another daytona around but I think that is about it. how long have you been in town? I have a great shop I can recommend too when you need service done

as350
May 11th, 2012, 18:12
I moved here about 6 weeks ago. The RS6 made it here two or three weeks ago. I'm always up for a good beer. There seems to be lots of good beer options around town, haha.

kismetcapitan
May 11th, 2012, 18:51
I hope that price reflects the car having issues, and not the market value for a 107K mile car....

sad; TBH I would have loved to have that exact trim and color - I've got the carbon fiber/white leather interior, but plain-jane silver instead of the more exotic DG.

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 18:54
yeah, that's why I am being very skeptical going into it. I will require a PPI, records, or a short term warranty before I purchase

bendjeff
May 11th, 2012, 19:59
does the carfax look right to you? http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CBT_4&vin=WUAPV54B43N904887&cs:rv=YfwQPtkKr2FvJKj5ysQmsQZ9hDJDJT1mBYcqn33pVLQ5 KJfpT1p1

second owner had it for 4 days? haha. anyone have an auto-check account they could run in through?

bendjeff
May 12th, 2012, 02:21
Ok so the story is that the 105k service hasn't been done yet. What are we looking at for a dealer price in that?

ben916
May 12th, 2012, 07:53
if the 35k and 75k were performed on time, the 115k would be a timing belt...
That should be possibly plugs and coil packs but not 100% sure, the sticky might have it listed...

JSRS6
May 12th, 2012, 10:58
The 105k IIRC is just the basic maintenance, with a few other added in. Not a major TB. so oil change, spark plugs, oil and air filter. that sort of thing. One of the higher mileage ones includes lubricating the sunroof tracks as well as the sunroof drains.

bendjeff
May 12th, 2012, 17:04
ok, but the 105K includes a timing belt service, right? since the last one was done at 70-75K? I am asking Keyes Audi if they can forward records. I would like to know if anyone knows what the dealer would charge for the 105K service as a bargaining tool (including the timing belt)

thanks for the help. the sticky only goes up to 95K miles

bendjeff
May 12th, 2012, 17:08
ok, just heard from my local dealer here. service including the timing belt is going to run $3400. so the negotiations begin... we'll see what they say about it

bendjeff
May 12th, 2012, 19:57
one more update. they are selling the car as is. they are not taking care of any service that is overdue and not providing any warranty

ben916
May 13th, 2012, 00:26
You might ping BRAV to see if he would be willing to check it and VAG it.
A PPI @ GMG or Raven might be in order.

$15k is a steal but then you haven't even looked under her skirt....

I know a really great road trip road for you to drive it back to Bend!!! But slow down in Susanville, CA...

JSRS6
May 13th, 2012, 00:58
again, iirc, its the 115k service that includes the tb(timing belt) service, NOT the 105k.

ben916
May 13th, 2012, 01:10
again, iirc, its the 115k service that includes the tb(timing belt) service, NOT the 105k.

I agree but you never know without records and look at the price, better to be safe than sorry...

May 13th, 2012, 04:41
Assume the trans is shot, cause if there are no docs on the T/C or trans, less then 500 miles after you buy it and you put your foot into it and the 34 cent O-ring that keeps the pressure in the A clutch lets loose you are looking at an engine drop. IMHO the price almost reflects that. Get it for 13 and you got a smoking deal.

JSRS6
May 13th, 2012, 04:48
Lol, I agree too. I was just stating the facts.

May 13th, 2012, 04:53
Someone buy this before I have to! A supercar for 15k? Even if it needs 6k worth of work. Still beats a beige Camry. Unless you are ready to give up.

lswing
May 13th, 2012, 05:26
The best thing to do is the VAG code scan, if I would have done that before purchase would have helped. Although, if the codes have been cleared, you might not see a thing, good luck!

May 13th, 2012, 05:29
+1 Beat it like a rented mule then VAG it. Good start.

lswing
May 13th, 2012, 05:33
+2, yep took me about 50 miles on the way home to throw the Cel for the TC...

May 13th, 2012, 05:38
Assume it's bad unless you got supporting docs. God I love this car, and my eyes still water when I see one (which happens WAY more than I would think with only 850) but, it ain't cheap.

Brav
May 13th, 2012, 22:56
I may be able to look at it Wednesday, possibly Tuesday evening. Been out of town and leaving again Thursday. I can bring the vag.

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 04:35
if they still have it I would love that... they were rather short and abrupt when I told them it needs the 105K service and how much that would cost. then they said it is 14,888 as is, no warranty and we will not be servicing the car

Brav
May 14th, 2012, 07:13
I have a dealer license. I can go in and maybe get the straight story on it that way.. will let you know. Pm me w your contact info, your contact there and any info they have told you already.

Chris

AUDI5000CSTQ
May 14th, 2012, 07:35
Hey Brav, let me know after you VAG it. If no one else gets it, maybe I can save the miles on mine, so Ben does not get lower miles.
If it throws codes, I have a Euro Mechanic that might help me out. It's just that when I bring a car in, it stays for a year just for a tune up, but just costs me the price of parts.
Thanks,

JSRS6
May 14th, 2012, 11:18
if they still have it I would love that... they were rather short and abrupt when I told them it needs the 105K service and how much that would cost. then they said it is 14,888 as is, no warranty and we will not be servicing the car

how much did you quote them for the 105K service? you can't tell them it needs the 105k service and lump in the TB service from the 115K service(even if it needs it without supporting docs). maybe they saw through that and shut down.

JSRS6
May 14th, 2012, 11:20
Although, you could argue that without supporting docs, maybe the 75K service was never done?

Jimmy
May 14th, 2012, 12:09
Right JSRS6, I'm not so sure you should even touch this one....seems awfully odd that a selling dealer won't even change the oil on it or offer even a 30 day warranty. Ticking bomb?

If the 75K wasn't done then WOW, it made it to over 100K on that poor old rubber T-belt. Gosh. Where is the car from ? VMI the area dealerships yet for any service info? Its not hard for the selling dealership to make the effort to find out some of the maint. records. The ticking should be getting even louder for you now, yes? I hear it from way over here !

You'd do much better buying from a private seller if no short term warranty from this selling dealer. The dealer knows this car is a nightmare and wants out with no strings with this VERY attractive low price. It's like this, there are no cheap Mercedes-Benzes (insert Rs6)...don't let your emotions get the best of you; let the brain make the decision. Just my free 2 centivos as an outsider. 8-)

Dmb408
May 14th, 2012, 15:04
Let me know how the interior looks. I know that sounds like a dumb point in the context of the thread, but I would buy this car and put it on a truck (I'm in Chicago) if I knew it looked good and just know that I had potentially 10K worth of work to put into it and be happy. Serious. Don't want to freeload off your efforts but if you get reservations, share the info. Thanks.

TechGurru
May 14th, 2012, 15:09
@benjeff: Remember, I'm only 3hrs from you and I offered my RS6 to you at a smokn price! Mine has had a new tranny, turbos, engine resealed etc etc etc. at the Audi dealership. I put more photos up in my ad here or I can take more for you if you want certain angles? But you're not that far of a drive either :-)

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 16:23
TechGurru: I know, still not wanting to go that high and the color is not my first choice. at least it isn't green ;)

i have been very reserved about the car since I know that the deal sounds too good to be true. I know how that goes. Brav, I will PM you some info. I did get confirmation that the 70K or 75K (whichever one it is) service did get done and the timing belt was done. that was just from the sales girl who called Keyes Audi to find out

I think putting 10K into this car might be a mistake though since you could get a much better, lower mileage besst for 25K...

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 16:24
also, if the timing belt was done at 70K as recommended (every 35K) then it is due at 105K if my math is correct...

May 14th, 2012, 16:42
It would be nice to think that a 60k mile car would need less maintenance than one with 105k but I have seen no correlation. The only way to determine this is records. They both may or may not need : transmission, T/C, I/C, timing belt, brakes, etc. No point in buying a 60k mile car and paying 8-10 grand more for it and still may or may not have to put another 8-10 grand into maintenance.

I gave 17.2 for mine thinking it just needed the T/C but it's the trans. Should have given about 2-3 grand less. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the search.

TechGurru
May 14th, 2012, 16:43
The timing belt is due every 40,000 miles with the first one at 35K then 75K then 115K and so on...

also, if the timing belt was done at 70K as recommended (every 35K) then it is due at 105K if my math is correct...

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 16:43
yeah, this is why I didn't just jump right in on this one... it could need a few things but I don't want to have to put 10-15K into it either...

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 16:44
interesting, I thought for sure I read that the recommendation was changed to every 35K... I could be imagining things though

TechGurru
May 14th, 2012, 16:51
TechGurru: I know, still not wanting to go that high and the color is not my first choice. at least it isn't green ;)

Go that high? I understand the color isn't your "first choice" but I only want 5 grand over the one that is many more miles away you have no idea about. I have documented 15 grand worth of repairs on mine done at Audi within the last 2 years (of which is a new tranny and turbos) and my timing belt isn't due for another 20K miles.

In any event, best of luck to you and I hope the one in Cali doesn't need "anything" because it doesn't take much to get to 5 grand on these cars.

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 16:53
Go that high? I understand the color isn't your "first choice" but I only want 5 grand over the one that is many more miles away you have no idea about. I have documented 15 grand worth of repairs on mine done at Audi within the last 2 years (of which is a new tranny and turbos) and my timing belt isn't due for another 20K miles.

In any event, best of luck to you and I hope the one in Cali doesn't need "anything" because it doesn't take much to get to 5 grand on these cars.

yeah, nothing against your car in any way. It looks like a fine example. i am going to have Brav look at that one in SoCal but I am not holding my breathe...

TechGurru
May 14th, 2012, 17:27
yeah, nothing against your car in any way. It looks like a fine example. i am going to have Brav look at that one in SoCal but I am not holding my breathe...

No worries at all. It would be a screaming deal if you get down to the other one and it has no codes and no oil leaks ;-) ...but one has to wonder if it is a sweet deal, why hasn't anyone local bough it yet then?

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 17:28
yeah, I keep wondering why it is still there...

lswing
May 14th, 2012, 17:31
+80......if you can get a car with the $10-15k of work that you might have to do in the next 5 years anyhow, you're crazy not to...although I do understand wanting the right color and such, you'll have the car for a while so make it the right one!

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 17:43
found this ad from may 7th: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3000652518.html

looks like they were originally asking 19,888

TechGurru
May 14th, 2012, 18:22
Without records and a thorough inspection, the only way to appoach this one is plan for the worst but hope for the best. You should have an extra money ready to put into it just in case (5-10 grand would not be unreasonable). If you have to put 5 in it, its still not that bad but 10 right away its hard to swallow.

Brav
May 14th, 2012, 19:41
I would either have Raven MS inspect it, or have them go through it after purchase maybe. It could be a deal of the century with a little work.. or a can of worms to run from.

bendjeff
May 14th, 2012, 19:44
yeah, once you get an initial look at it that will tell me whether to run to the bank or run to the hills...

Jimmy
May 14th, 2012, 19:50
yeah, I keep wondering why it is still there...

If the car was truly a decent one ; it would have been sold a while ago. Think about that...

May 14th, 2012, 21:05
A "look" at the car (aside from CarFax, vag and general condition) won't tell you a thing. Plan on 5k for deferred maintenance at least if you can't do it yourself. Spend less and you'll be happy. If you don't plan on the 5k in maintenance, don't have it or can't afford it, you'll wind up with a really nice piece of yard art.

Brav
May 14th, 2012, 21:15
A "look" at the car (aside from CarFax, vag and general condition) won't tell you a thing. Plan on 5k for deferred maintenance at least if you can't do it yourself. Spend less and you'll be happy. If you don't plan on the 5k in maintenance, don't have it or can't afford it, you'll wind up with a really nice piece of yard art.

.. Hence my trip with a VAG COM. easy way to find a major trans problem.

May 14th, 2012, 21:25
While that will find a major one that has happened it won't find a small one or one that is about to happen. Mine was slipping (A clutch) and didn't throw a single code until it got really ugly. Just hate for a guy to think he is getting smoking deal on a car and think he doesn't have to put a dime into it for a year only to find out the (fill in the blank here) is bad and it is $5000 from the Audi or indy shop to fix and he doesn't have it. I'm slowly learning that this is a supercar for a reason, and unless you can fix it yourself and it isn't your daily driver it is going to be expensive. Depreciation on these cars is about $500/month from new till now. From there on, plan on spending that in maintenance.

Brav
May 16th, 2012, 22:24
Was on my way to look at it yesterday, sales lady said it was sold before I could get there. Not sure to whom.

kismetcapitan
May 16th, 2012, 23:50
I hope the depreciation stops and perhaps rebounds. Look at the prices for 1988 model year BMW M3-M5-M6. Crazy.

But I'd say, if I were looking at that car, that you get what you pay for.

Dmb408
May 17th, 2012, 17:56
Alright who bought it!?

May 17th, 2012, 18:04
Thankfully not me, my wife has made that abundantly clear. Hey bendjeff, if you want one a little more sorted out and closer to you check this out.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3012907423.html

TechGurru
May 17th, 2012, 20:10
Thankfully not me, my wife has made that abundantly clear. Hey bendjeff, if you want one a little more sorted out and closer to you check this out.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3012907423.html

LOL, this is my car. I have already talked with bendjeff and he doesn't like the color. It is listed for sale here also. $21,500 but I keep the Valentine :-) J/K well, maybe not.

bendjeff
May 18th, 2012, 17:51
haha, he has been trying to smooth talk me into his black beast... black in the high desert = constantly dirty car :)

May 18th, 2012, 23:31
Give me a black car that's dirty 'cause you can drive it "like a car" vs. the right color that never gets dirty because it spends it's life in the shop any day of the week! Living with the wrong color (except green) is easier than living with a car you can't drive.

TechGurru
May 19th, 2012, 16:31
Even though the RS is black, its more of a dark grey when its sitting next to my "Brilliant Black" S4.
The Pearl in it lightens it up quite a bit. IMO its closer to Daytona Grey than B-Black.

Greg341
June 8th, 2012, 01:04
Alright who bought it!?

I did!

So, I figured if I was going to own an RS6 I'd better do my homework. While I was here reading through some of the threads I found this one. I'm stoked to be a member now and ready for the financial punishment I'm about to receive! :lovl:

Like a couple of you, I had a hard time finding out information on this car and it scared me immensely. It was clear the Lexus dealer wanted no part of it either. I did speak to a very nice guy at, I believe it was Keys Audi; he verified the timing belt was done at 75K and the DRC recall had also been done. For reasons I couldn't quite comprehend, he couldn't put together a printout of all of the service work they performed. I live in Missouri so buying it sight unseen without much history was incredibly stupid...but I did it anyway.:applause: Actually, I believe I've located the previous owner and am in process of trying to contact him. I hope he will speak with me as he has been the owner since almost day one according to the title. The Carfax was indeed messed up.

The exterior of the car is in incredible shape. There are no scratches or dings anywhere. The wheels have no curb rash and the tires have decent tread left. The brake pads have some good life left as well. It's much better than I expected.

The interior had a few issues, most notably all of the metallic trim on the doors and dash is cracked. I assume that's from the hot California sun because the tint on the rear glass was shot as well and the dash was warped in the center at the defrost vent. I've been able to remove the tint and glue the dash back down with some epoxy but the trim will cost me $600-$800 I see. Other than that though the interior is in great shape. The seats have been re-dyed and look almost new.

Anyway, I'll be opening her up in a few weeks to do the timing belt and all of the other goodies I can find along the way as I go. Overall though, I'm very happy with it so far.

Brav
June 8th, 2012, 01:11
Congrats!

BTW, you are responsible for me driving to Santa Monica, only to get a call that the car has been sold. So then I decided to visit a nearby friend, which turned into a few drinks. Then a few turned into eleventeen, and I dont remember how the night ended.. except that I tore the shirt off of a girl on the dance floor (by her request...) and the rest of what I remember was pretty amazing.. so thanks!!

Greg341
June 8th, 2012, 02:11
Nice. You are certainly welcome!

June 8th, 2012, 06:13
Then a few turned into eleventeen, and I dont remember how the night ended.. except that I tore the shirt off of a girl on the dance floor (by her request...) and the rest of what I remember was pretty amazing.. so thanks!!

This is better than any RS thread. I need to move to Cali....

LIRS6
June 8th, 2012, 19:33
ok, but the 105K includes a timing belt service, right? since the last one was done at 70-75K? I am asking Keyes Audi if they can forward records. I would like to know if anyone knows what the dealer would charge for the 105K service as a bargaining tool (including the timing belt)

thanks for the help. the sticky only goes up to 95K miles

I just did timing belt at 115k .. my logic was: 35k, 75k .. meant next was 115k. Your situation may be different; at what mileage was timing belt last done? $3400 is similar to what my dealer charged (see my post of yesterday for details of parts).