PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

johnnie27
May 10th, 2012, 14:48
hi boys , men

anyone rocking a non std steering wheel? in their RS6 C5 , flat bottomed etc?? alcantara ..... thinking of getting one not sure waht fits etc..anyone know anything about later mdl S/wheels on our cars?

thanks gents

johnny

ben916
May 11th, 2012, 03:44
I know that Riccardo @ Raven MS in Long Beach, CA is rocking an R8 steering wheel but not sure if the Airbag is connected.
This was part of the 6 speed conversion...

Tom Sawyer
May 18th, 2012, 03:27
If money were no object AND I didn't care about the risk of having no air bag, I'd be all over one of these babies....

CF Alcantara Audi Steering Wheel (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=180875576415#ht_1318wt_1398)

MontyRS
May 18th, 2012, 10:10
Why is there a risk of no air bag? Just that if it is electronically not a good fit? I had the Euro RS4 wheel on my RS4 and it was just awesome. That is the ONE wish I have for the RS6...the steering wheel gets lost in my hands.

Tom Sawyer
May 18th, 2012, 11:33
Why is there a risk of no air bag? Just that if it is electronically not a good fit? I had the Euro RS4 wheel on my RS4 and it was just awesome. That is the ONE wish I have for the RS6...the steering wheel gets lost in my hands.

The newer wheels use a dual stage air bag where ours are single. That's the basic difference but it translates into different wiring, controllers and 'rings' in the mechanism between the column and wheel. Europrice sells a number of flat bottom wheels like these and the rs4/TT variant with the aluminum flat bottom. I had pinged him on a TT wheel with paddles (obviously would be nice to keep that function thought it's doubtful the paddles would work as our connect straight to the TCU where newer cars to the can bus IIRC) but he said the major problem will be the air bag. He was unsure the multifunction buttons would be usable as well for the same reason.

MontyRS
May 18th, 2012, 13:03
Thanks for your detailed response!

MontyRS
May 18th, 2012, 20:36
You guys might want to check out www.dctms.com - nice refinish option to consider at reasonable prices. I'm looking to take my stock wheel and make it beefier.

716YETI
July 16th, 2012, 19:48
The newer wheels use a dual stage air bag where ours are single...

With the 6 speed conversion I no longer need the paddles so I was looking at getting a TT wheel without the paddles. Would that be the single stage airbag then with the older TT wheel without the paddles? It does have the flat bottom though, would that make it the newer 2 stage?
Thanks for any noob help.