PDA

View Full Version : The Brakes go screeeeechhhh!!!!

geoffaree
May 4th, 2012, 21:44
About a month ago I got my front rotors and and pads replaced. I have only put on about 500 miles since getting them done. Have not "slammed" on the brakes once. Now when I slow down the brakes start screeching then when i do stop it has a very loud screech. The person that replaced them is 150 miles away and I will not be back there for another week. Just seeing if there is anything I can do I my side to see what is causing this noise.

Note* found to be front right brakes making the sound. Took off tire at shop and had brake dust removed but could not see it. This also does not happen right away I have to drive the car a few miles before it does it. The first couple stops sound ok.

bmlee007
May 4th, 2012, 21:48
What kind of pads do you have? I'm using EBC Reds and the same happens to me. After a few stops and the pads and rotors warm up, I will hear the screech if I am drag braking. Harder stops yield quieter results.

geoffaree
May 4th, 2012, 21:51
I found this thread on our issue. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22470-Squealing-Brakes?highlight=brakes+noise I'm going to call him now. It's almost embarrassing how loud it is. Yeah "hard stops" I have to warn my passengers we are not going to hit this person I just need to hit them good so no noise. The thread said it takes a bit for it to stop, so I'm headin' to the mountains and see if I can help it.

papadoc
May 4th, 2012, 23:11
Try what Mark suggested in that thread, bedding the brakes with several 60-0 HARD stops, then some driving with light braking without full stops for any length of time. Repeat. Might help, but if not, may need to resurface the rotors.

Brav
May 4th, 2012, 23:36
Try what Mark suggested in that thread, bedding the brakes with several 60-0 HARD stops, then some driving with light braking without full stops for any length of time. Repeat. Might help, but if not, may need to resurface the rotors.

... except if you have EBC reds, then DONT DO THIS unless you want to F up your rotors. throw them out.

papadoc
May 5th, 2012, 01:47
... except if you have EBC reds, then DONT DO THIS unless you want to F up your rotors. throw them out.

presumed OEM with that suggestion...

ben916
May 5th, 2012, 02:55
I have EBC Reds and Frozen rotors, I also had 600 miles of very loud embarrassing squealing
I then did several 110mph to 60 moderate braking = problem solved.

Also, now I think mine are currently glazed but can be cured with a spirited session of gas then brake gas then brake, repeat for 20 minutes...