PDA

View Full Version : Help with Audi of America, I got a defective part....ughhh.....$$....

lswing
April 30th, 2012, 21:09
The refurbished, and under one year warranty, steering rack is dumping fluid from the start. Lasted about a week. They will replace the part, the problem is the $2,500 in labor for another engine pull.

They have initially stated they will not cover the service since it's not being done at an Audi dealership. They are going to have a meeting this week as to help me or not. The nearest dealership is 1.5 hours away, and I get such great service and work here, never thought it was a problem.

Who knows, maybe they will help me, can anyone here offer any advice or help? I really don't want to get screwed for another $2k+ because of a defective Audi part...

MaxRS6
April 30th, 2012, 21:30
^Ooof- Good luck. I hope they don't come back and claim car "modded" and void even the part's warranty. Seems to be a typical "Get of warranty coverage line" and debated to death.

lswing
May 1st, 2012, 01:37
Hoping for the best. The power steering rack failed so bad I can't even drive the car, fluid comes out as fast as you put it in, nice part!

lswing
May 1st, 2012, 16:52
Ordered the part, $1,100. Rental car for the month, $900. Work to replace rack, $2,500. Hoping they will cover the labor and car, bad enough being without my car for another month....

Justin9212
May 2nd, 2012, 13:57
Just be 100% sure there is not any red fluid in it. I'm sure the shop you take it to must know this already. One of the most common rack failures I see are from people using regular power steering fluid in an Audi. The Audi power steering fluid is a much different fluid, it's actually mineral based. Be sure to check that first.

lswing
May 2nd, 2012, 15:59
Yep, using the green Pentosin recommended. The rack burst open in a week, really no wear from fluid, the refurbished rack must have been done incorrectly at the factory, or it just tore due to a defect in the seal...

lswing
May 3rd, 2012, 19:23
So Audi is beginning to drag out the process. The initial customer support group has denied my request for labor to be covered due to their defective part. I find this to be a very cheap and disrespectful way to treat a customer. They are saying there could still be a change in corporate, I will know Tuesday.

Lesson is looking like Audi won't cover any labor not done at their shops, even if the labor was done correctly. Nothing like getting screwed by a multibillion dollar corporation so they can keep a few thousand dollars in their pockets, cheap bastards...

SAFE4NOW
May 13th, 2012, 14:34
The interesting thing is that you are complaining because you took them out of the process and now you want them to step up and cover it anyways. You made the choice to work with your local shop... why don't THEY stand behind their work? Any Audi shop worth their salt would stand behind the repair...

It's like going into Burger King and asking them to cover a burger that McDonald's sold you... how does that make sense? You got your burger from Burger King because they were closer... the meat came from the same place..

Why don't you try and help them ( AoA ) help you and get your car into the Dealership. They may be able to supply you a loan car ( Save $900 ) warranty the part ( $1100 ) and maybe labor... give them the chance to help you.

As is your doing alot of taking and not giving them much... including dogging them online when you are the one who created the situation
( Had you had it installed at the Dealership in the first place the work would all be covered, loaner, etc )

Good Luck either way you go,

S

p.s. I know this post comes across hard, it's only my intention to "show" the other side of the story.

hahnmgh63
May 13th, 2012, 18:25
I can see your point SAFE4NOW possibly somewhat on the steering rack but swapping it out isn't Rocket Science and if Audi can't prove that the failure was due to installation then they should pay for it. Audi had a recall on Coil packs for my Audi tt, but even though mine, which I had only replaced the previous year were failing, Audi wouldn't replace them because I had not had them replaced at the dealer. How could I screw up a coil pack replacement compared to the dealer? It would have cost me more for the Coil packs and labor from the dealer the first time than it did in the end doing them twice myself. I can somewhat see the manufacturers point but a known quality shop or a simple replair job shouldn't always be required to have done at the dealer.

SAFE4NOW
May 13th, 2012, 18:48
I can see your point SAFE4NOW possibly somewhat on the steering rack but swapping it out isn't Rocket Science and if Audi can't prove that the failure was due to installation then they should pay for it. Audi had a recall on Coil packs for my Audi tt, but even though mine, which I had only replaced the previous year were failing, Audi wouldn't replace them because I had not had them replaced at the dealer. How could I screw up a coil pack replacement compared to the dealer? It would have cost me more for the Coil packs and labor from the dealer the first time than it did in the end doing them twice myself. I can somewhat see the manufacturers point but a known quality shop or a simple replair job shouldn't always be required to have done at the dealer.

See, you have a good point. But the OP didn't give AoA the chance to confirm, he just wants to have AoA take his word that it was done correctly .. and them to foot the bill.

I seem to remember that you could get reimbursed for coils, after providing an invoice.

AoA HAS paid for numerous front bumper covers on C5 A6's , coils, even Upgraded suspensions on Rs6's , with minimal process required.

My point is that when you follow process, things have a better chance of coming out your way.

S

QuattroRS
May 13th, 2012, 19:38
+1 on the indy shop stepping up to pitch in.

?? Did you buy the Audi rack and hand it to the indy shop for install while the engine was out and working on other items?

If so, then indy shop didnt really make anything on the rack and the repair really falls on your shoulders.

The interesting thing is that you are complaining because you took them out of the process and now you want them to step up and cover it anyways. You made the choice to work with your local shop... why don't THEY stand behind their work? Any Audi shop worth their salt would stand behind the repair...

It's like going into Burger King and asking them to cover a burger that McDonald's sold you... how does that make sense? You got your burger from Burger King because they were closer... the meat came from the same place..

Why don't you try and help them ( AoA ) help you and get your car into the Dealership. They may be able to supply you a loan car ( Save $900 ) warranty the part ( $1100 ) and maybe labor... give them the chance to help you.

As is your doing alot of taking and not giving them much... including dogging them online when you are the one who created the situation
( Had you had it installed at the Dealership in the first place the work would all be covered, loaner, etc )

Good Luck either way you go,

S

p.s. I know this post comes across hard, it's only my intention to "show" the other side of the story.

lswing
May 13th, 2012, 21:30
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of support for a quality mechanic that received a defective part, but so be it. And yes, the reason for the original repair was a leaking rack. And although a hard piece to access, is a very obvious repair. The part was defective from the start, the seal was not put in correctly at the factory, or was just bad material. I do understand how I can't expect Audi to put all their weight behind an independent.

Although a bit of a frustrating process dealing with AoA (part of it me having my car in the shop right away, and getting it towed around town, and getting crap from people about typical Audi, and getting a rental, and about to spend more money), they are going to help me. The part will be covered, and they will give $1k for the rental car and some labor. This came from their understanding that none of this would have occurred had the part not been faulty. Fingers crossed, she goes back in Monday!

SAFE4NOW
May 13th, 2012, 21:54
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of support for a quality mechanic that received a defective part, but so be it. And yes, the reason for the original repair was a leaking rack. And although a hard piece to access, is a very obvious repair. The part was defective from the start, the seal was not put in correctly at the factory, or was just bad material. I do understand how I can't expect Audi to put all their weight behind an independent.

Although a bit of a frustrating process dealing with AoA (part of it me having my car in the shop right away, and getting it towed around town, and getting crap from people about typical Audi, and getting a rental, and about to spend more money), they are going to help me. The part will be covered, and they will give $1k for the rental car and some labor. This came from their understanding that none of this would have occurred had the part not been faulty. Fingers crossed, she goes back in Monday!

THAT sounds like AoA , good to hear they stepped up to the plate and are helping out!

Sorry for your troubles, like I said earlier , I'm not trying to make light of your situation.

S

p.s. I was the GM of an independant shop for several years. I personally gave a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty on repairs, OEM part or not... so, you might ask your shop why THEY aren't helping out. 12/12 is STANDARD , why aren't they helping you out?

kismetcapitan
May 14th, 2012, 00:25
if life gives you lemons...while the engine is out, how about doing the downpipes? :)