PDA

View Full Version : Horrific Audi A7 crash...

ChicagoAudi
April 30th, 2012, 20:07
http://jalopnik.com/5906364/holy-crap-how-did-anyone-survive-this-explosive-audi-crash

ben916
May 1st, 2012, 01:34
I would say "Truth in Engineering" but that is not the case... nothing beats heavy metal wrapped around you in the form of 50's and 60's cars... now if they only came with air bags and all wheel drive.. ;)

kismetcapitan
May 1st, 2012, 07:09
there was an accident near my Ann Arbor house, happened just seconds before I got there. Heard a massive sickening crunch. Checked the news - an 85 year old diabetic man was driving a Lexus LS460, missed a red light and took out a Honda Civic. The Civic driver was DOA; the Lexus driver got facial bruises from the airbag. Unfair how the instigator of accidents (particularly drunk driving accidents) survives, but I guess it's also testimony to different crash safety levels, and I think a fair amount of safety engineering goes into luxury sedans. I remember crash protection being a selling point in the brochure for my first car - '86 Quattro Coupe; can't imagine Audi's changed much in that department.

anyways...I'd say understeer was the culprit in that A7 crash, and no amount of engineering could have saved the driver for certain. That looks like just sheer luck.

Bigglezworth
May 1st, 2012, 17:52
Ah yes. Another Audi walk away story for the record books. Reminds me of this.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/audi-rs6-abt-crash-yes-he-made-it-out.html

Benman
May 5th, 2012, 03:32
I would say "Truth in Engineering" but that is not the case... nothing beats heavy metal wrapped around you in the form of 50's and 60's cars... now if they only came with air bags and all wheel drive.. ;) Actually a misconception Ben. 50's and 60's vehicles are definitely NOT safer than the modern car. Give me modern ANY TIME. While modern cars may look worse after the crash, it is because they are DESIGNED to absorb the kinetic energies of high impact crashes. 50's and 60's cars are NOT. While that old classic may look better afterwards, it is ONLY because the crash forces were all transfered DIRECTLY into the occupants BODIES. Older cars are far, FAR more dangerous to be inside in the event of an extreme collision. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

papadoc
May 5th, 2012, 06:04
Actually a misconception Ben. 50's and 60's vehicles are definitely NOT safer than the modern car. Give me modern ANY TIME. While modern cars may look worse after the crash, it is because they are DESIGNED to absorb the kinetic energies of high impact crashes. 50's and 60's cars are NOT. While that old classic may look better afterwards, it is ONLY because the crash forces were all transfered DIRECTLY into the occupants BODIES. Older cars are far, FAR more dangerous to be inside in the event of an extreme collision. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

Amen to that. It is amazing to see the devastation of some cars when the occupants walk away.

ben916
May 5th, 2012, 08:04
ok, you are right, I was less right ;)

Benman
May 7th, 2012, 03:20
I was less right ;) But still right. Vintage cars look as cool as hell! :cheers:

formula1man
May 10th, 2012, 20:59
Though my 1st car, a 66' alfa romeo Ti Super met a tree that jumped right out at me, when I was 14, and took a fair hit and I barely noted it. That said vs the RS6 is not much comparison towards higher speed safety.