PDA

View Full Version : 17 - Instruments - Coding

Dynmicracr
April 30th, 2012, 06:41
In vag-com, to program the instruments module there is chart to follow to get the number that it should be. The problem is the number does not make sense that my car is programmed with. Mine is programmed to 17284. Its the first two numbers that do not make sense. Add to that the information on the ross-tech wiki is inconsistent.

This link is to the A6. Note that at the bottom there is no turbo engine code:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A6_(4B)_Instrument_Cluster_(from_MY_2000)#Cod ing

The A4 one looks to be right at the bottom.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A4_%288D%29_Instrument_Cluster#Coding

So if I work through the two I can see what the XX284 means:

xx?xx: Country (MY 2000 >)
2 = USA (US)

xxx?x: Cylinder
8 = 8-Cylinder

xxxx?: Engine
4 = Turbo-Engine (from MY 2000)

So, my question (after searching exhaustively) is what the heck is the 17 in 17284? I should mention this all came about because I was going to disable the seat belt reminder chime.

hahnmgh63
May 1st, 2012, 03:54
Mine is coded 03284 because I did not have the Optional RNS-C, I have installed the RNS-E but I did not want the Nav to show in the Instrument cluster. Once your Navigating and getting Voice and you have the RNS-E screen to look at why would I want it in the Instrument cluster when I'd rather still have the radio or MP3 display there available.

Dynmicracr
May 1st, 2012, 04:34
Mine is coded 03284 because I did not have the Optional RNS-C, I have installed the RNS-E but I did not want the Nav to show in the Instrument cluster. Once your Navigating and getting Voice and you have the RNS-E screen to look at why would I want it in the Instrument cluster when I'd rather still have the radio or MP3 display there available.

That makes total sense. Its like when the gas indicator beeps and pops up. Cant clear it and in the case of things like Dension, you can no longer browse the MP3 playlists and such. Good idea.

So, given that you have not programmed for the RNS, is 03284 the default coding (thanks for checking yours BTW)? It sounds like I can make it 01284 and get rid of the annoying seatbelt chime. I always wear my belt so its completely unnecessary.

Dynmicracr
May 1st, 2012, 05:09
17284 almost makes it sound like it was coded for the RNS. Yet, there are no other errors. I dont have nav so I think I can safely make it 01284. Seems like the XX284 is the most important part anyway. ;)

EDIT: I tried and it took 01284. Will give it a try tomorrow and see how things go. Ran an error code check on the radio and it came back clear. The in software help does not list the 16 as an option. I assume that this is since it was not an OEM option. They should still list it though as a possibility, IMO.