PDA

View Full Version : all front control arms replaced - still not perfect!!!

mik15
April 29th, 2012, 06:23
...so i have replaced all 8 front control arms with Meyle HD, the feeling has improved a lot, the car feels much more tighten, the steering is way more accurate, overall is very good, i have even noticed that my vibration when steering close to the maximum is 95% gone, i was quite surprised to see this happening and didn't think that the bad arms would have such a negative effect on the car's behavior but they do and they weren't in such a bad shape, the most worn arms were the 2 lower inner ones which i could shake it with my hands, the others were not that bad but the ball joints, especially on the lower arms, were very very easy to jiggle it with just one finger...anyway, i am really glad i have changed them but, there has to be a but :doh:, i can still hear a clunk, it's not loud and with the music on is not noticeable, seems to be coming from the right side, i guess front, but i am not sure 100%....my thoughts are is either the DRC or lossen steering bolts??? it feels like it's somewhere under the car and only on uneven road surfaces, there is no noise if i hit a pothole....what do you think i should check? and how?

JSRS6
April 29th, 2012, 13:42
Did you also replace your tie rods?

mik15
April 29th, 2012, 13:52
i didn't replace the tie rods as they seemed ok, i mean the mechanic didn't say anything about it therefor i assumed they're ok....

aussie rs6
April 29th, 2012, 17:54
loose steering rack bolts will manifest themselves most commonly as a clunk when you come to a stop and trying to turn right or left.
As per other posts, the two top bolts can be tightened ok. The one underneath if it is loose, is the $1000 bolt - engine out!

kismetcapitan
April 29th, 2012, 19:43
do you have stock wheels? Wider aftermarket wheels or spacers will cause a bit of a 'thunk' as they hit the fenders, if you haven't rolled them.

mik15
April 29th, 2012, 21:06
i have been out again this evening driving it and couldn't hear the noise anymore...must've been my mind playing with me....or it could be from the DRC, when the car is parked over night, i will check this in the morning again when i leave for work, the noise might not repeat when the system warms up...but then again the car is also parked while at work for more than 8 hrs and i didn't hear the noise in the afternoon when coming back home...then it could be just myself going mad :)

mik15
May 1st, 2012, 07:08
ok, so i am not crazy :)...i've heard again the clunk this morning, it seems like it only comes on after the car has been parked for more than 10-12hrs, so i guess it must be DRC related, the clunk goes away after a few minutes of driving, probably the DRC system warms up....well it couldn't be perfect, it's so hard to have this car 100% perfect all the time, there is always something not right....i am getting tired....

kismetcapitan
May 1st, 2012, 07:59
how cold does it get at night? A lot of sports cars are cranky until warmed up, and the RS6 is no exception.

mik15
May 1st, 2012, 09:05
well...i am sure it has nothing to with the low temperatures, we are on an island which is very close to the desert and now the summer is close so in the night there aren't less than 68F...