PDA

View Full Version : your drag times - 1/8th and 1/4 mile times?

kismetcapitan
April 27th, 2012, 00:15
I'm going to start running on drag strips next month, and was wondering what kind of times people have run in the RS6?

I imagine launch capability/technique factors in quite a bit...

what have been your timeslips, both 0-60ft and total time@mph?

JSRS6
April 27th, 2012, 09:41
Do you already have a spare trans set aside? Or are you planning on going 6-speed after yours craters?

mik15
April 27th, 2012, 09:50
there is always one at Audi dealership....or maybe not, you got to wait wait 2 weeks for it :), this is the reason i didn't drag mine, though i really wanna take it out on the track...

kismetcapitan
April 27th, 2012, 16:26
I found all the data I need on dragtimes.com. I have a Level 10 transmission upgrade, which should help. I don't think I'll be trying the duck foot rat thing; I'm pretty gentle with my launches and I don't think I lose that much time compared with the harsher duck foot rat.

There's a 1/4 track I'm going to try, and a local 1/8 track. I'm going to do a night at each, and that'll be the short-lived drag career of my car. I just want to benchmark my car with official slips.

speedtrapped
April 27th, 2012, 17:22
Level10 upgraded trans(pre 517) are solid....I launched mine a couple of times-never an issue.....car dives on hard accelerator. Never took it to E-town, and the day i did finally find an a safe desolote road, I didnt pbox, but I def ran 2 secs 0-60....kiddin, i got sub 4 sec once(3.89) its an art that i have not mastered.

lswing
April 27th, 2012, 17:45
As long as the trans is strong! No hard launches for me, but I'll do the soft take off in Sport and get a 4.5...that was before the water meth and some fine tuning, might give it a few goes soon. Been wanting to head up to the Woodburn drag strip for a few races against an M5...

Bigglezworth
April 28th, 2012, 04:48
I'm going to start running on drag strips next month, and was wondering what kind of times people have run in the RS6?

I imagine launch capability/technique factors in quite a bit...

what have been your timeslips, both 0-60ft and total time@mph? I hesitate to guess that most board members don't "drag" their cars so you might get limited info in response to your query. That aside, I have never dragged my stock RS6, but have done so with the one I purchased from a guy that 'plays' with custom tunes on turbocharged cars. That car ran 11.9 a couple of years back and has since ran an 11.7. I have a copy of the video for the 11.9 run. As others in this post already mentioned, the week link has always been - and will remain being - the transmission. I've haven't had a single transmission issue with either the stock or tuned rides over the past 4 years. (knock on wood). It's also infrequent that I "drag" any of my rides.

kismetcapitan
April 28th, 2012, 19:15
true, the RS6 isn't a car for the strip. But I do plan on a couple days at the strip to run with friends for fun, and just wanted to see some benchmark numbers. Unless the adrenaline of the timing lights distorts my sense of mechanical sympathy, I plan to just tip in the throttle and progressively floor it. As long as the transmission is nice and warm, gearshifts are fine at WOT and redline.

aussie rs6
April 29th, 2012, 18:35
Running standard tune on C5 RS6 with 95 octane US rating, at NHRA credited strip, best et 13.023 with terminal speed 107.27 mph secs, 0-60ft 2.127 secs, 660 ft- 8.525secs, 85.24 mph, ambient temp 58.3F, track temp 72.9F

You will find critical to your ET from my experience is launch as governs 0-60 ft time. I could not get under 2 secs for 0-60ft in sport mode, ECS off, (no matter what i did with standard trans launch- duck footrat etc.).

For comparison,even newer C6 RS6 trans (although more bullet proof) did not help as best 0-60ft in my C6 RS6 with 95 octane US rating was 2.075 secs. ET was 11.987secs with teminal speed 121.13 mph, 660ft -7.909 secs, 95.67 mph, ambient temp 89F, track temp 104F.

Also ambient/track temperature has big effect on power. The cooler it is, the more power you will make.

just my two cents worth.:addict::addict::addict:

john

ttboost
April 30th, 2012, 00:30
Running standard tune on C5 RS6 with 95 octane US rating, at NHRA credited strip, best et 13.023 with terminal speed 107.27 mph secs, 0-60ft 2.127 secs, 660 ft- 8.525secs, 85.24 mph, ambient temp 58.3F, track temp 72.9F

^^^ These were pretty much my numbers. Actually 13.2 at 105 bone stock. Then went back after flash and ran 12.8 at 109 when I got the dreaded tranny codes. The flash KILLED my stock TC. Both of these runs were in left lane and are with a bad TC. New Ace TC is in, but haven't been back. Stock I ran 4.5-4.6 0-60. I've been 4.0 once since the new TC, as that is all I have tried. I scaled my car at Englishtown and it weighed 4240 with no spare and no me. 4430 with me and no spare...

12563 12564

MontyRS
April 30th, 2012, 01:41
Im new to the rs6 and have known the transmission to be the weak link, but this post makes me question just how weak it is? On a warmed up engine, can you not go WOT once In a while? I understand heavy dragging would not be recommended. How do most owners drive these with extra care for the transmission while also being able to appreciate the cars capabilities?

kismetcapitan
April 30th, 2012, 01:42
while it would have been nice to have had a warranty with my car, I'm more pleased that it came with a Level 10 transmission. Nonetheless, I do plan on having a fully bulletproofed TC in the closet as insurance.

kismetcapitan
April 30th, 2012, 01:56
Im new to the rs6 and have known the transmission to be the weak link, but this post makes me question just how weak it is? On a warmed up engine, can you not go WOT once In a while? I understand heavy dragging would not be recommended. How do most owners drive these with extra care for the transmission while also being able to appreciate the cars capabilities?

I think there's been a spectrum of experiences. Some have blown the torque converter with a bone stock engine, some run flashed ECUs...but in general, once you upgrade the transmission and suspension, there really isn't that much that's weak with the car. I think that in general, as long as the car is rolling, the shock to the transmission is less and going WOT is fine. But especially with a tune, this car can lay down a huge amount of torque very early in the RPM range, and therein lies the problem.

I'm not the greatest expert on automatics though - 24 years of driving, two Audis and three Nissans, and this is my first automatic transmission car. I actually spent the first month learning how to stop myself from things like downshifting to slow the car or during braking to get the transmission in the right gear for rocketing out of a corner.

Having a nice strong six-speed manual like a Tremec and a standard clutch though would feel more comfortable - if the transmission starts to slip, you know it's just a flywheel and clutch plate(s) to replace. But then again, this particular automatic is extremely smooth and transparent, especially in downshifting.

MontyRS
April 30th, 2012, 02:06
I think there's been a spectrum of experiences. Some have blown the torque converter with a bone stock engine, some run flashed ECUs...but in general, once you upgrade the transmission and suspension, there really isn't that much that's weak with the car. I think that in general, as long as the car is rolling, the shock to the transmission is less and going WOT is fine. But especially with a tune, this car can lay down a huge amount of torque very early in the RPM range, and therein lies the problem.

I'm not the greatest expert on automatics though - 24 years of driving, two Audis and three Nissans, and this is my first automatic transmission car. I actually spent the first month learning how to stop myself from things like downshifting to slow the car or during braking to get the transmission in the right gear for rocketing out of a corner.

Having a nice strong six-speed manual like a Tremec and a standard clutch though would feel more comfortable - if the transmission starts to slip, you know it's just a flywheel and clutch plate(s) to replace. But then again, this particular automatic is extremely smooth and transparent, especially in downshifting.

I'm new to the automatic as well. Mine is tuned with 58,000 miles and the transmission is very solid at this point. I also have a warranty for two more years so that gives me some piece of mind. I'll just start a reserve account for an upgrade at some point.

ttboost
April 30th, 2012, 03:30
While the transmission has it's limitations, the TC is the REAL weak spot. Bad TC causes the transmission to slip. Fix/replace the TC and trans likely won't slip, unless you are trying to make monster power....