PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled an APR tune....

4.2Crew
April 21st, 2012, 13:16
Went in to IMOLA to get an up close, hands-on look at some wheels----walked away with a scheduled APR tune for next week!... WTF? The 10% off thru the end of April did it. Err, well helped me convince wifey anyway...

No new wheels, yet!... So many options!

Anything to consider, before, after or during the tune? I thought maybe doing a couple pre tune logs before... Honestly, not sure what I'd be looking for?... Previous logs seemed similiar to other's stock logs.

BTW, Kevin and Jeff (and the entire IMOLA staff) are absolutely the best! Patient, helpful, knowledgeable, professional etc etc etc...

4everRS
April 21st, 2012, 14:04
They are good. I went out to lunch with their crew at Oktoberfest last year. Good guys.

It would be good to take before and after logs. However, if they look the same as other stock logs, what's the difference. If it is during a weekend, I'd love to come as well and see their shop.

4.2Crew
April 21st, 2012, 14:14
If it is during a weekend, I'd love to come as well and see their shop.

Their shop is otta control!... Clean, organized, well lit, and staffed with knowledgeable enthusists who are fun to be around... My kind'of "crack."!

Tune is scheduled next week----9:30am friday morning.... Just Say'n!

4everRS
April 21st, 2012, 14:25
Damn. I'll be in New Jersey. I'm coming back that evening.

hahnmgh63
April 21st, 2012, 17:14
Kyle, did you ever give the Lemmiwinks a try?

4everRS
April 21st, 2012, 17:26
Kyle, did you ever give the Lemmiwinks a try?
I didn't. Yet. I downloaded a copy. Is there different versions? And, there's no way to change requested boost, correct?

MaxRS6
April 21st, 2012, 21:09
..Tune is scheduled next week----9:30am friday morning.... Just Say'n!

You are in for a new beast experience! You will want to upgrade your DV's if not already done. Welcome to da club!

4everRS
April 21st, 2012, 21:44
You are in for a new beast experience! You will want to upgrade your DV's if not already done. Welcome to da club!

Randy, I know I've asked before, but what DV's do you have?

4.2Crew
April 22nd, 2012, 23:18
Okay... In preperation for Friday's APR tune, I did some minor exploratory surgery:

---Removed intake assembly and realized two things: 1) The lower two nuts holding the air intake assembly are a sum-bitch to access. 2) The pink plastic inside the wiring harness plug that plugs into the driver's side MAF is crumbling into pieces----went back together secure, but will have to watch going foreward.

---Removed 3 spark plugs to determine condition and gap: The condition of the NGK's with Audi/VW logos appears ok with a .029 gap.

---MAF seals look original and are in OK to fair condition.

Questions: Prior to the tune, should I:

1) Replace the plugs and regap to?.... Or, wait until after the tune to see if there are issues?

2) Replace the MAF seals?... If so, with what brand?

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks!

marklar182
April 22nd, 2012, 23:25

Thanks!

You have no alternatives unfortunately and they are ~$80 a piece. If your air box hasn't been pulled off very much they are probably fine.

4everRS
April 23rd, 2012, 00:07
If the plugs are over 15k old, I would consider replacing. With the higher boost, some (including me) have found better luck gapping to .025.

You can wrap electrical tape once or twice around the MAF if you think they feel loose. Also, it will make your life much easier in the future to take the MAF's off the airbox and push in the pipe, then set the airbox on.

4.2Crew
April 23rd, 2012, 00:33
If the plugs are over 15k old, I would consider replacing. With the higher boost, some (including me) have found better luck gapping to .025.

You can wrap electrical tape once or twice around the MAF if you think they feel loose. Also, it will make your life much easier in the future to take the MAF's off the airbox and push in the pipe, then set the airbox on.
The plugs clearly have more than 15k miles... I'll pick-up and gap a new set tomorrow. After reading some of your earlier posts, sounds like you'd suggest AutoLites!... hehe!

The suggestion/experience to separate the MAFs from the airbox is ingenious! Good stuff, Thanks!

4everRS
April 23rd, 2012, 00:40
Hehe. Ya, I consider myself an innovator! :) Autolite's were a mistake. Now we know. NGK or bust.

4.2Crew
April 23rd, 2012, 00:58
Damn. I'll be in New Jersey. I'm coming back that evening.
Reminder:
When entering the airport parking ramp, keep windows up and refrain from give'n her the beans....

4everRS
April 23rd, 2012, 01:21
Reminder:
When entering the airport parking ramp, keep windows up and refrain from give'n her the beans....

lol . I'll try to resist the urge.

ben916
April 23rd, 2012, 07:19
Okay... In preperation for Friday's APR tune, I did some minor exploratory surgery:

---Removed intake assembly and realized two things: 1) The lower two nuts holding the air intake assembly are a sum-bitch to access. 2) The pink plastic inside the wiring harness plug that plugs into the driver's side MAF is crumbling into pieces----went back together secure, but will have to watch going foreward.

---Removed 3 spark plugs to determine condition and gap: The condition of the NGK's with Audi/VW logos appears ok with a .029 gap.

---MAF seals look original and are in OK to fair condition.

Questions: Prior to the tune, should I:

1) Replace the plugs and regap to?.... Or, wait until after the tune to see if there are issues?

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks!

DO NOT drop the pink plastic into the rabbit holes - did that already... not fun.
Replace with OEM plugs @ .025, might want to do the coil packs a the same time...
MAF seals @ apikol - ya gotta call them, they were not on the website the last time I checked...

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/My%20RS6/IMAG0323.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/My%20RS6/IMAG0319.jpg

where did that plastic thing go?!?!?
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/My%20RS6/IMAG0322.jpg

bmlee007
April 23rd, 2012, 07:41
Apikol MAF seals...

https://www.apikol.com/#Products,Engine,160

4.2Crew
April 23rd, 2012, 11:39
DO NOT drop the pink plastic into the rabbit holes - did that already... not fun.
Replace with OEM plugs @ .025, might want to do the coil packs a the same time...
MAF seals @ apikol - ya gotta call them, they were not on the website the last time I checked...

Wow!... Great pics, Ben! Sheesh, looks a liitle too fimiliar! So, did you simply reattatch the plug with or w/o the pink plastic insert?... The plasic insert DOES look rather generic to other plugs on the elecrtical harness (namely the coils.)

4.2Crew
April 23rd, 2012, 11:45
:0:
Apikol MAF seals...

https://www.apikol.com/#Products,Engine,160

Cooool! Thanks! At $53 for the pair, sorta a no brainer for a 10 year old car with 50k miles... AND they are blue! :0:

MaxRS6
April 23rd, 2012, 12:51
Randy, I know I've asked before, but what DV's do you have?

I have the Hyperboost DV's from Stratmosphere.

ttboost
April 24th, 2012, 00:02
If you don't have an MTM TCU chip yet, I would consider putting that at the top of your list. WAY more important than the ECU tune.

dab
April 24th, 2012, 18:09
I have the apr tcu, tiptronic chips and dv and am enjoying them all

4.2Crew
April 27th, 2012, 18:05
Well, it didn't happen this morning!.... Now I remember why I've done all my own maintenance and repair for the last 34 years. WTF?

In preperation for the tune, I installed new MAF seals and new oem plugs regapped to 0.027". Called at 12 noon yesterday to confirm the appt. "Yep, we're all set... Se you at 9:30am." Checked my work voice messeges this morning and find out the shop just realized that it is NOT a reflash----ECU and TCU need to be sent to APR for a solder-in. "Sale ends Monday, but we can work with you. Car wull be laid up until at least Thursday." I was given the impression they've completed several installs on the RS6. Find out this morning that is not the case...

So, my question is:

What in the Holy Hell value does a shop add in this particular transaction?????? My cost is actually HIGHER by going thru a local shop than simply sending APR the ECU and TCU myself! No tax, or "shop fee." But certainly the shop is making coin on the price difference between wholesale and retail!

I have to assume, any technical issues that arise after the tune, I'll still be contacting APR regardless of how/where purchased.

Just venting! Thanks for listening....

lswing
April 27th, 2012, 18:08
If you can pull your own ecu and tcu boxes, then no need for the shop, agreed. All my current tuning support is direct through REVO, easy as that....

You will love having a tune, simply amazing! I just don't drive the hell out of my car all the time to try and save the trans, but give it a good flogging here and there:)

hahnmgh63
April 27th, 2012, 19:18
I guess I don't like the idea of them soldering on a new chip when most other tunes (not including MTM) are flashable. Once you get their chip on board can you flash it to another tune or will you have to get a stock chip soldered on? The chance of having a bad connection increases too. On the other side of the coin, most APR users are fairly happy with their tunes.

lswing
April 27th, 2012, 19:24
Mark, what numbers are you running on your Revo tune? 93 octane or custom? Using the SPS select or have a shop do it? Thanks, Lou

4.2Crew
April 27th, 2012, 20:26
Once you get their chip on board can you flash it to another tune or will you have to get a stock chip soldered on?
The APR ECU upgrade includes a total of 4 tunes: Stock, 91, 93 and 100 octane----and a TCU upgrade (which raises the shift points up about 200rpms.)

4everRS
April 27th, 2012, 20:47
The APR ECU upgrade includes a total of 4 tunes: Stock, 91, 93 and 100 octane----and a TCU upgrade (which raises the shift points up about 200rpms.)

This is why they have to solder the chip on.

Crew, i would say that Imola should be able to get you a similar price including labor costs. That or a very small premium over APR directly. As a dealer, they better be getting a good discount from APR to do this.

hahnmgh63
April 27th, 2012, 21:47
I run the SPS Select tune and I have never messed with their 3 presets, I have 3 custom tunes that I uploadeed to it that I run depending on conditions, Fuel, If I feel agressive.