PDA

View Full Version : Good news! Bad news :(

kismetcapitan
April 16th, 2012, 02:34
Good: 2-3 shift problem has vanished. Car shifts crisply at full boost and throttle through all the gears at 7000rpm (indicated).
Bad: In a hard launch 1-2-3 test from a stoplight, got clocked by a cop. Fortunately, he couldn't believe the 105 indicated on his gun as it was between stoplights, so wrote me up for only 40 in a 30mph zone.

Lesson: just because a road looks dead empty at 3am, doesn't mean it's empty!

It seems a bit odd, but I think a lot of the little niggles I've been experiencing seem to be temperature related. As it warms up in Nashville, they're all disappearing.

4everRS
April 16th, 2012, 02:57
Lol.

New tranny?

ben916
April 16th, 2012, 04:10
eurocharged stage 2/mtm/level 10

this^^^^

kismetcapitan
April 16th, 2012, 05:42
I suspect that the balkiness in shifting over the winter may have been due to cold tranny fluid. If I weren't so averse to littering the beautiful Audi interior with tons of gauges, I'd have gauges for boost, second oil temp, EGT, AFR, water temp, and transmission fluid temp. Since I haven't modified the fuel system, fuel pressure wouldn't be needed.

In "informal" rolling start races (from 40mph and from 60mph), now that I'm not having transmission hiccups, the RS6 is beating out some interesting cars - C5 Vettes, a Camaro SS, a stage 2 turbocharged M3 among them. Even a MkIV Supra - although the guy wouldn't open his engine hood and I suspect there isn't much modded underneath. For better or worse, the rapid acceleration is completely lacking in drama, both in terms of any sudden kick in the back, or rowdy noises. I might be faster, but the guys with open exhausts and histrionic blowoff valves seem to be having more fun when driving in anger. Summer is approaching, and the Silver Bullet will start making appearances at the local dragstrip and maybe a track day or three - need to revise the brake pad selection before that though and see how the Konis turn out.

kday
April 16th, 2012, 16:38
The lack of drama while accelerating really fast really is something. All go and no show.

My turbo Miata makes all sorts of dumb (fun) noises and has a lot more drama to it (including the ever-suspenseful "will this be the launch where the rear diff eats itself?") but it there's no contest when it comes to actually going fast in a straight line.

mrdave
April 16th, 2012, 16:53
The lack of drama while accelerating really fast really is something. All go and no show.

Yes! That's something I was not expecting when I first drove my RS6. When I tell people what it's like I say "you step on the gas, the engine makes a little noise, and then you're going 80mph." I guess I was expecting more fanfare like my 1.8T Jetta or 2.0T GTI, but accelerating in this car is just so effortless.

My brother and I were driving last week and I mentioned that we were currently doing 105mph. He said, "We're over 100? It feels like it's just getting started!"

Tom Sawyer
April 16th, 2012, 22:10
Wow... that could have been..ugly. Glad to hear she's smoothing out nicely! As of this morning, mine is at GP now for 75k/TC.... I'll keep you posted on how that all turns out. They are going to pop my Venair hoses and 007's on while they are in there. I'm hoping that my 'mystery tune' will be uncovered... car throws the ECU Mem/CRC error.

I will say, impressions of the guys there stand strong; shop called to make sure I had not bought this from someone locally as the 75K had been done on that car. Now THAT would have made my day but mine was a FL car it's whole life.

kismetcapitan
April 16th, 2012, 22:42
my car's booked Wednesday at Music City Porsche&Audi for the suspension mods. Hopefully all will go well; estimate is a very reasonable $700 all inclusive.

the cop was very cool; wonder if my US Army veteran license plate helps any? I also think that a plain silver sedan and lack of serious noise makes it nearly impossible to believe that this car can go 0-100-0 between stoplights (well, fairly well spaced stoplights!). With a straight pipe, bright yellow paint, and a Boeing wing on the back, I might have been in a lot more trouble!

Tom Sawyer
April 16th, 2012, 23:55
my car's booked Wednesday at Music City Porsche&Audi for the suspension mods. Hopefully all will go well; estimate is a very reasonable $700 all inclusive.

the cop was very cool; wonder if my US Army veteran license plate helps any? I also think that a plain silver sedan and lack of serious noise makes it nearly impossible to believe that this car can go 0-100-0 between stoplights (well, fairly well spaced stoplights!). With a straight pipe, bright yellow paint, and a Boeing wing on the back, I might have been in a lot more trouble!

I hope the plate did, would be nice to know us Vet's get a pass now and again! EXACTLY what I love about the RS 6, very under the radar... really the SE exhaust is the only thing that might draw attention. Ok, admiration but still. :addict:

Awesome... that is a very reasonable estimate, looking forward to hearing how that comes out... should be a whole new ride again!

aussie rs6
April 18th, 2012, 19:18
I suspect that the balkiness in shifting over the winter may have been due to cold tranny fluid. If I weren't so averse to littering the beautiful Audi interior with tons of gauges, I'd have gauges for boost, second oil temp, EGT, AFR, water temp, and transmission fluid temp. Since I haven't modified the fuel system, fuel pressure wouldn't be needed.

Hi Kismetcapitan,

this might be want you want to monitor parameters above through your central display without cluttering up the clean lines of the instrument panel and dash. It was posted over on UK RS246 forum
http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94027 with link to use on RS4 forum.

the details of the product- just need to check if will run wth RNS-E according to RS4 forum link.

http://www.zzottel.de/index.php/en/car/fis-control

john

ThrillHouse
April 18th, 2012, 22:57
Great story and the outcome with the 'impossibility' is great. I love the RS6 for the same reason - under the radar and unbelievable!

Got a distance between the stop lights? May make for some interesting math haha

kismetcapitan
April 19th, 2012, 13:03
I'll head out there and measure the distance; could give a rough ballpark calculation for 0-100-0 performance. I don't think I'll repeat the run though on that stretch of road!

ThrillHouse
April 19th, 2012, 18:20
I'll head out there and measure the distance; could give a rough ballpark calculation for 0-100-0 performance. I don't think I'll repeat the run though on that stretch of road!

Just do it in google maps! I don't blame you for not wanting to recreate the moment - I know I wouldn't!