PDA

View Full Version : Good alternative to Audi Bluetooth for those with OnStar

Tom Sawyer
April 14th, 2012, 12:32
Just wanted to share my success story 'converting' my defunct OnStar function in my RS 6 to Bluetooth. I considered going with the Audi BT setup (esp. when I had my RNS-E) but not having a MFSW with a convenient button to access the phone (place/answer calls) was a downside. I know I could just click the answer button on my phone, but to me the draw of having a BT setup in the car is leaving the phone in you pocket and never needing to fiddle with it.

I came across this post Convert OnStar to Bluetooth (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/348746-Interest-in-Bluetooth-module-to-replace-OnStar-module?p=7038967&viewfull=1#post7038967), reached out to Keith and worked out the details which involved simply pulling the OnStar 'button board' in the overhead console and shipping it to him to modify. He shipped back the board, the Costar module and everything needed to install.

Pulling the OnStar module was a PITA without a doubt. It's in the passenger footwell which is easier to access than others that are under the passenger seat but still a bit of wrestling. There are 3 nuts that hold the module in so once it's exposed it's easy to remove but the carpet is the bear of the job. There are 11 wires that need to be moved from the Audi harness over to the two Costar plugs, the instructions detail how to do that, very straightforward. There is also a GPS antenna connection that goes to the old OnStar module, so when I get another RNS-E, I'll have an easy spot to extend the GPS antenna in the shark fin.

Once the Costar unit was plugged in, turned on the ignition, went to bluetooth settings in my iPhone, synced up and everything works beautifully. Incoming calls mute the music and rings through the speakers as expected, press the white OnStar button and you answer. You can access voice dial (and of course SIRI if you have a 4S) via the white button, issue voice commands etc. The LED is fully functional and lets you know the status (synced, on a call, pairing/discoverable, etc). Voice quality is great and people I've talked to say it sounds clear. The unit has a USB port for tweaking the settings as well.

It now supports A2DP streaming for music (requires Line IN on the head unit) but a nice bonus there and something the Audi unit can't do.

ben916
April 14th, 2012, 16:57
there is only one thing missing, Kevin...... photos

Chase
April 14th, 2012, 23:45
I was thinking only one thing missing, Kevin...... A how-to complete with schematics!

Aronis
April 15th, 2012, 01:40
Excellent idea.

How much did it cost?

I've been using a Blue Ant S4 which works great.

Mike

Tom Sawyer
April 15th, 2012, 14:00
I have to admit, in my haste to dig in and have some mod'in fun, I didn't take many pictures... just a couple of the plug itself so Keith could update his documentation. I have mapped out the Audi wiring switch as well, that will undoubtedly make it into his documentation. The good news is that it was only wire color differences from the VW application, the "move pin 18 to pin 8" instructions applied perfectly. FWIW, it was pretty standard fare as far as getting to it: remove the glove box, pop the side kick panel off (2 screws) to be able to 'peal' the carpet back and expose the box. It is basically at the very top of the foot well, if you pull the carpet back even a little bit the silver box you see is it. Three nuts at the left, bottom and right edges of it and it comes free. The worst part of the mod: My 6 year old keeps asking me to hit the "siri" button so he can ask her silly questions. :hihi:

I'm not sure if Keith will want me to post his total price here, but Costar charges $279 for the box for GM PNP and his cost is a small amount more than that and he of course mods the board as well as supplying the costar box (you pay him the full amount). You might be able to find the audi BT box in that price range, but I still think in our cars not having that MFSW (not that I want one) makes that box a little less convenient.

keithwbloom
April 15th, 2012, 17:45
If Interested email me at keith at keithbloom dot com and I'll forward installation and capabilities details directly. Cost is $319, and that includes USPS priority mail return shipping of your modified button controller and the BlueSTAR Audi A2DP module (also specially modified). More complete experiences are available for you to review on VWVortex Phaeton forum. 30+ installations and counting.

NSU RS6
April 15th, 2012, 18:15
Wife: "You're pulling the glovebox again?"

Me: "Kevin made me do it."

Sounds like a neat mod.

Chung
April 16th, 2012, 18:25
I am in. This is the mod that I have been waiting for.

alrightroad
April 16th, 2012, 19:46
This is interesting. Keith good work. I'll likely reach out to you as I just purchased OEM BT module to go with my RNS-E and working on a MF steering wheel retrofit in order to solve the button (or lack of) issue. This is much cleaner and easier.

Tom Sawyer
April 16th, 2012, 21:55
Completely worthwhile mod to say the least. I had a couple calls this morning during the commute and it beat the heck out of having a headset stuck in my ear.

It probably goes without saying, but having the head unit coded for Phone but not having the telematics module in the car does cause a code to be thrown. That one doesn't bother me nearly as much as my 17125. Of course, that ends this week, dropped her off at the surgeons this morning for a little ACE TC joy. :applause:

Chung
April 16th, 2012, 23:03
I would think there would be a way for VAGCOM to say no telematics and add a phone. Either way as long as it isn't a check engine I am fine with that. My radio throws a memory code for no apparent reason as well.

Tom Sawyer
April 16th, 2012, 23:44
Wife: "You're pulling the glovebox again?"

Me: "Kevin made me do it."

Sounds like a neat mod.

:hahahehe: What can I say... but you know, the defense on this one is that it really is a nice safety enhancement!

Chung
April 17th, 2012, 00:10
If I just pair HFP do the navigation sounds come out of the stereo or do I need A2DP paired? I know our navigation is so awesome that I don't need to use my phone but just in case sometimes I use my phone for navigation.

Tom Sawyer
April 17th, 2012, 02:28
The A2DP function on the unit is actually through a line out headphone jack. The phone portion on the BT side is just mono so they pipe off the streaming part to use on a Line In for stereo.

The nav sounds (and audio in general for that matter... FM, XM/Sirius etc) will be muted with an incoming or outgoing call. Call ends, and the music source comes back.

Chung
May 9th, 2012, 03:22
Just got done installing mine. It works pretty well so far but I haven't really heard what it sounds like on the other end. My dad says the quality is ok but "scratchy." I didn't have to repeat much though and he doesn't hear very well so it must be ok.

ben916
May 9th, 2012, 03:55
Just got done installing mine. It works pretty well so far but I haven't really heard what it sounds like on the other end. My dad says the quality is ok but "scratchy." I didn't have to repeat much though and he doesn't hear very well so it must be ok.

call me, for a free test

Chung
May 9th, 2012, 05:45
I will give you a buzz tomorrow. When we get beer.

Tom Sawyer
May 10th, 2012, 14:44
FWIW, through the USB port on the unit and software from Costar, there are quite a few things about the audio levels that can be tweaked. I've not dinked with it yet but probably will once I get my car back. I'm thinking about ditching XM radio for an aux input device and use the BT Audio streaming line out port on it.

Manual with Software Description (http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/datasheets/CPU%20manual.pdf)

Ringtone App Notes (http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/datasheets/BlueStar%202010%20Ring%20Tone%20App%20Note.pdf)

Chung
May 10th, 2012, 16:41
Thanks. I have been messing with the settings but I will probably need to take some time when someone can sit in the car and talk to get it right. Eventually I would like to replace the microphone with a nice array mic since there are already two holes for it.

So far so good though. It took me a while to find the setting on my phone to allow for phone calls in the lock screen but other than that it works pretty well.

keithwbloom
June 12th, 2012, 13:53
It probably goes without saying, but having the head unit coded for Phone but not having the telematics module in the car does cause a code to be thrown.

It hasn't been tried yet, because it doesn't throw a code in my car that I am aware of, but the code probably results from the OnStar unit not responding to the CAN Bus. It may be able to be averted by plugging what remains of the OnStar harness connector back into the OnStar module. There should still be power and the CAN Bus connection is left in the connector after the migration because the BlueSTAR doesn't use it. If you have room for both where you stow it away, you might give it a shot.

keithwbloom
June 12th, 2012, 14:52

FWIW, through the USB port on the unit and software from Costar, there are quite a few things about the audio levels that can be tweaked. I've not dinked with it yet but probably will once I get my car back.

The USB software will allow you to see the actual gain settings for your mic and HFP output, and the default volume setting for the HFP output. Note that the mic gain is set to -12dB when I send them out for Audi and VW Phaeton installation because the mics are sensitive. The default audio out gain is set to 0dB. These settings were selected in testing with a Phaeton installation and produced the best quality. There is noise cancellation software at work on the Bluetooth chip, and increasing the mic gain may cause an imbalance of audio signals in and out such that the noise cancellation starts to compress the audio signal sent to the caller from your end. This is the most likely source of poor audio from you to the caller. If you are going to tinker with it, try first to adjust the mic gain down instead of up and listen to the call quality. Also when testing, please ensure the other party is on a land line, so cellular signal strength is not a part of the variable set. The default BlueSTAR volume out should be set at 8 (out of 15), because sending more line level to your head unit may also introduce background noise and cause problems with noise cancellation. If you hear background noise/hiss, it is likely your default output volume is set too high.

If you arrive at a better quality solution than -12dB, 0dB mic/output gain, please let me know and I will publish for RS6 installations going forward.

:hey: - Keith

Chung
June 12th, 2012, 15:48
Out of curiosity what settings are others using? I still don't have mine to where people can understand me well so it has been relegated to just family use right now.

UrS6
August 4th, 2012, 19:57
It now supports A2DP streaming for music (requires Line IN on the head unit) but a nice bonus there and something the Audi unit can't do.

Do you need the RNS-E for streaming music? Or can you do it with the regular head unit?

UrS6
August 4th, 2012, 20:08
I just installed mine. It took about an hour because I was slowed down trying to figure out wire colors. That was not necessary. Here's a DIY with no pix:

Remove the 5 bolts that hold the glovebox in place. They are 8mm. There are three at the top edge and two underneath. Lower the glovebox and unclip the electrical connector for the glovebox light. Move the glovebox out of the way (mine had a piece of tape at the very rear of the panel that is over your feet as you sit in the passenger seat. Peel it back to release).

Pop of the screw cover to the right side kick panel just forward of the door. Remove two phillips head screws. Release the kick panel enough to move it so you can pull the carpet back. Peel carpet back.

The Onstar unit is the silver box. Remove the 3- 10mm nuts securing it and store it in your garage with the nuts and connector parts that you will take off later.

Follow Keiths instructions from there. Ignore wire colors. Ours are different. Just follow the old pin to new pin instructions. Adhere the CoStar unit with double sided tape so it won't rattle around. Reassemble. I could do it again in 15 minutes if I had to.

And Keith is a pleasure to deal with. He answered my emails in minutes.

eanders
August 13th, 2012, 03:58
Excellent idea.

How much did it cost?

I've been using a Blue Ant S4 which works great.

Mike

Your post inspired me to check out the Blue Ant s4 - found it online, bought it cheap and it works great.

keithwbloom
August 13th, 2012, 05:15
The blue ant unit is a nifty gizmo, but it does not interrupt your audio system programming or use car's speakers and mic to handle calls. The voice command features offered by blue ant are available through BlueSTAR with iPhone and Android smartphones, including voice to text messaging.

The blue ant also requires periodic recharging, which means a dangling wire to cigarette lighter 12v.

eanders
August 13th, 2012, 14:18
All good points... for the money, it's an easy and effective solution.

keithwbloom
August 13th, 2012, 14:45
My wife has the Motorola equivalent in her SUV, I think it is called the Roadster. It is a good unit, and very cost effective. I wanted an OE look and feel to my solution, and the BlueSTAR option actually resurrected the otherwise dead OnStar peripherals and achieved exactly that. And with ever expanding smartphone features available through voice commands at the touch of a single button, it truly outperforms the OE Bluetooth module in many respects at half the price.

UrS6
August 13th, 2012, 23:33
My wife has the Motorola equivalent in her SUV, I think it is called the Roadster. It is a good unit, and very cost effective. I wanted an OE look and feel to my solution, and the BlueSTAR option actually resurrected the otherwise dead OnStar peripherals and achieved exactly that. And with ever expanding smartphone features available through voice commands at the touch of a single button, it truly outperforms the OE Bluetooth module in many respects at half the price.

The one thing i'd love to be able to do is say "play album secondhand daylight" and have the bluestar play it. I heard there is a way to do something like that if you have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord hooked to the head unit. Is it possible?

keithwbloom
August 14th, 2012, 03:22
Yes it is possible. You need a source switch and a 3.5mm stereo patch cord to whatever inputs you have on your aux in channel (possibly RCA?) If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s with iTunes, you can voice navigate your playlists and artists all day long.

"Siri, play 'We are the Champions' by Queen."

:dig:

Dynmicracr
August 20th, 2012, 22:38
I can confirm that this works as advertised. Some people could hardly tell I was hands free. Keith was awesome to deal with on all fronts. I had a technical glitch and he was very responsive in working with me to get it resolved.

Tom Sawyer
September 2nd, 2012, 00:26
I finally finished the 'rest' of this project up today and installed a Blitzsafe aux adapter to the Symphony II, naturally taking the output from the Bluestar unit. Streaming pandora and google play music from my GNex, SQ is great, better than XM (which no longer functions with the blitzsafe, no big deal there). I figured there might be a new firmware so pulled the latest down from the costar site and connected via USB to flash and tweak some settings (like ringtone, pretty cool little device for sure!).

UrS6
September 2nd, 2012, 16:59
I finally finished the 'rest' of this project up today and installed a Blitzsafe aux adapter to the Symphony II, naturally taking the output from the Bluestar unit. Streaming pandora and google play music from my GNex, SQ is great, better than XM (which no longer functions with the blitzsafe, no big deal there). I figured there might be a new firmware so pulled the latest down from the costar site and connected via USB to flash and tweak some settings (like ringtone, pretty cool little device for sure!).
Which adapter did you get? And what did you hook up to where? Symphony II is the regular radio in the RS6, yes?

Tom Sawyer
September 2nd, 2012, 20:06
This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180781144175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Basically it plugs into the back of the Symphony II (stock head unit), the plug that was in it's place is plugged into the adapter, ground strap connected to the HU (essential) and your done. The CD button is given an 'added function' where pressing it a second time puts the HU in 'changer mode'. FWIW, the SAT button does function and turns on XM/Sirius but the line in audio is what comes through.

I had a nice surprise yesterday evening when using navigation on my phone... all the turn by turn directions now comes through the speakers! My desire for another RNS-E has kinda fizzled out (other than for the aesthetic).

UrS6
September 2nd, 2012, 20:44
This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180781144175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Basically it plugs into the back of the Symphony II (stock head unit), the plug that was in it's place is plugged into the adapter, ground strap connected to the HU (essential) and your done. The CD button is given an 'added function' where pressing it a second time puts the HU in 'changer mode'. FWIW, the SAT button does function and turns on XM/Sirius but the line in audio is what comes through.

I had a nice surprise yesterday evening when using navigation on my phone... all the turn by turn directions now comes through the speakers! My desire for another RNS-E has kinda fizzled out (other than for the aesthetic).

So what connects to the Bluestar? I assume you run the two RCA jacks to an RCA-to-3.5mm headphone jack and plug that into the Bluestar?

Tom Sawyer
September 2nd, 2012, 23:10
Exactly... just a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable. I had to splice one together so I'll probably pull everything at some point and put in a pre-fab cable. If I do (likely, being a bit particular about stuff) I'll be sure to shoot some pics this time.

DST
April 11th, 2013, 02:53
I am starting the mod to install the BlueStar/costar module to in place of the defunct On-star system. I know a few others have previously done this (UrS6, Dynmicracr).

As part of the mod I need to remove my On-star button module to send in to Keith Bloom for modification. I am concerned about collateral damage to the trim/light lenses in the removal/access process. Does any one have any tips/photos/shop manual pages for how to remove the trim pieces to gain access to the overhead On-star button module in an RS6?

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

StormFront
April 11th, 2013, 03:44
Sub'd... I'll be looking to do this soon hopefully :)

DST
April 11th, 2013, 04:04
Sub'd... I'll be looking to do this soon hopefully :)

If no one replies with info, I'll document how mine goes and share what I learn for you and others. I'm excited about getting this done.

Tom Sawyer
April 11th, 2013, 12:39
When I did the mod unfortunately I didn't shoot too many pictures but from memory, I did have a little damage to deal with in the console area. IIRC, one or two of the metal pressure tabs 'came off' or stuck in the holes they were in, and due to age there was one clip that broke off. Obviously the heat and age takes its toll on the plastics. I was able to superglue the piece back on and got it all seated back in flush. The module itself is a bit of a PITA as there is not too much cable to deal with so you're working in cramped quarters. Taking the glove box out is a must of course, but that is easy.

Keith is fantastic to work with, as I mentioned before I could not be more pleased with the transaction and he turned everything around quickly.

Many months post install, I'm still very pleased with the mod, probably my favorite one creature confort wise. The audio streaming is awesome and I use it pretty much every day, pandora is great to have in the car wirelessly. The SQ is good too, as I mentioned in earlier posts, I picked up an AUX in adapter for the Symphony II and it works like a champ.

The only thing I have been disappointed in in the setup is the sound quality that people say comes through on voice calls. From the feedback I have gotten, it sounds very tinny/thin. I think that replacing the stock microphone with a higher quality one might help, but I've never gotten around to it. If I were doing it from scratch I'd explore that part a bit...

Hope that helps some and good luck with it, very cool mod for sure.

StormFront
April 11th, 2013, 13:10
Thanks for the info Tom. I wonder how one would go about upgrading the mic? Using one from a newer model perhaps? Aftermarket?

Big fan of Rush?

keithwbloom
April 11th, 2013, 14:21
The only thing I have been disappointed in in the setup is the sound quality that people say comes through on voice calls. From the feedback I have gotten, it sounds very tinny/thin. I think that replacing the stock microphone with a higher quality one might help, but I've never gotten around to it. If I were doing it from scratch I'd explore that part a bit...

Noise cancellation on the most recent software upgrade is much better. Shoot me your email at keithwbloom at gmail dot com and I'll send you the most recent revision (12-0918 — note there is a version that started shipping on BlueSTARs last month, 13-0318, but it has not been proven to be stable in VAG chassis setups yet, I am currently testing.)

I am told by Chris at Costar that microphone performance is greatly enhanced when your settings are set to the default once your firmware is current to 12-0918, which you can reset and confirm using the newest version of COSTAR Programming Utility (CPU v 1.2.0.1 ). Here is a link to download that application (http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/Software/CPU/CPU.Setup.msi).

When resetting the unit to the factory defaults, you must remember to turn on the A2DP profile again else you will loose streaming abilities if you are using them.

Here is a series of screen shots of the configuration recommended as default once firmware is updated to 12-0918:

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_programming.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_bluestar.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_profiles.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_volume.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_mic.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_ringtones.png

http://www.keithbloom.com/bluestar/images/cpu_diagnostics.png

Cheers,

Keith

Chung
April 11th, 2013, 18:11
Sorry my photos are not great but they show which side to pry gently on. http://sdrv.ms/10OzWqa I used a credit card to do the prying.

Chung
April 11th, 2013, 18:17
Looks like it is time for me to update the firmware. Now the question is did I leave the device accessible without removing the glove box.

Chung
April 11th, 2013, 18:28
Hi Tom,
Did you lose access to the internal CD changer by installing the AUX input? I would love an AUX input but I still want CDs.

When I did the mod unfortunately I didn't shoot too many pictures but from memory, I did have a little damage to deal with in the console area. IIRC, one or two of the metal pressure tabs 'came off' or stuck in the holes they were in, and due to age there was one clip that broke off. Obviously the heat and age takes its toll on the plastics. I was able to superglue the piece back on and got it all seated back in flush. The module itself is a bit of a PITA as there is not too much cable to deal with so you're working in cramped quarters. Taking the glove box out is a must of course, but that is easy.

Keith is fantastic to work with, as I mentioned before I could not be more pleased with the transaction and he turned everything around quickly.

Many months post install, I'm still very pleased with the mod, probably my favorite one creature confort wise. The audio streaming is awesome and I use it pretty much every day, pandora is great to have in the car wirelessly. The SQ is good too, as I mentioned in earlier posts, I picked up an AUX in adapter for the Symphony II and it works like a champ.

Hope that helps some and good luck with it, very cool mod for sure.

Tom Sawyer
April 12th, 2013, 01:06
Hi Tom,
Did you lose access to the internal CD changer by installing the AUX input? I would love an AUX input but I still want CDs.

No that was the beauty of the adapter I got... it basically 'fakes' a CD changer... so you hit the CD button once, it's the internal 6 disc changer. Hit it a second time and it goes to the 'external' changer... shows track 99 at all times, etc. Also the SAT button lets you listen to the same audio input. I leverage that by setting different audio settings for SAT in case I want an instant bass boost.

Tom Sawyer
April 12th, 2013, 01:08
Thanks for the info Tom. I wonder how one would go about upgrading the mic? Using one from a newer model perhaps? Aftermarket?

Big fan of Rush?

Definitely a big fan of Rush!

Based on Keith's post, definitely going to try the firmware update. I would not have thought that the audi mic would be crappy, but you never know. If a software update can fix the issue, that would be awesome.

Keith, I'll shoot you a PM.

Chung
April 13th, 2013, 00:45
Just ordered the AUX in. Thanks for the info.

DST
April 14th, 2013, 00:20
This post is how to remove the button controller located overhead near the courtesy lamp. Removal is required to send the controller to Keith Bloom as part of the BlueStar/CoStar upgrade.

Remove the light lens by pulling down on the rear of the light lens, the front of the lens has a lip to hold in place.

Remove sunroof access panel (this is also covered in the Owner’s Manual, page 169). Using a thin flat tool (small screw driver or trim tool) gently pry down on the rear-most side of the housing. The front has a lip to hold in place. There are two spring clips along the rear edge of the housing, one near each corner.

Once the housing is free disconnect the button controller wiring harness plug, by pulling apart. Mine was a little tight and I had to depress the tangs that keep the plug from separating. You can pull the lighting wire loom out of the holder channel to get a bit more working room, so it’s not on such a short leash.

Removal of the single screw that holds the Onstar wire harness is not required. I removed mine and discovered I did not need to do this afterward. Removing the button controller from the housing was a bit of trick. Having good light is essential (open the sunroof shade or use a headlamp). There are two long plastic clips on the front side (toward front of vehicle), than need to be gently sprung back with a small flat tool, I used a small screw driver, one of mine was pretty hard to pull back, I thought I was going to break it, but didn’t. Once the clips are free the button controller will slide up out of the housing.

After the Onstar button controller is removed, reverse process to re-install the housing and the lens.

My button module is on its way to Keith Bloom for modification will be returned with my BlueSTAR module. I will update the post with installation of the BlueSTAR module when I’m at that point.

Chung
April 22nd, 2013, 00:18
Hopefully the new firmware fixes this http://www.costartech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=703

I just ran into this problem right before my auxin came to install. I now cannot get the device to read to reprogram.

DST
April 22nd, 2013, 09:21
Hmmmm. That's a bummer. Have you contacted Keith about the issue? He seems pretty responsive.

Also my understanding is that a Line-in connection is not needed to play/stream music from iPhone. Maybe line-in is needed for Droid users? Let me know how this works out. Waiting on arrival of my Bluestar module.

Chung
April 22nd, 2013, 16:14
Hmmmm. That's a bummer. Have you contacted Keith about the issue? He seems pretty responsive.

Also my understanding is that a Line-in connection is not needed to play/stream music from iPhone. Maybe line-in is needed for Droid users? Let me know how this works out. Waiting on arrival of my Bluestar module.

Keith is pretty responsive but given it was Sunday I didn't expect him to respond right away. I was able to get my firmware updated by manually selecting the COM port and ignoring the "timeout errors" The unit appears to work.

I actually never tried to stream audio using the Phone input. Theoretically you could stream A2DP and have the Bluetooth unit stream the audio via the "phone" input. I think that there would be a significant audio quality drop doing that given the phone input was designed for conversation quality audio.

Crossing my fingers when I put this all back together my issues don't come back.

keithwbloom
May 24th, 2013, 15:48
Just a quick update, after I had put the brakes on sending units out because of a firmware update problem, I am pleased to offer I am shipping them once again to interested Audi/VW owners with the defunct analog OnStar Telematics. The cost is $319 including postage. PM me or, for faster response, please email me at keithwbloom at gmail dot com.

On a lighthearted note, I have discovered that I can test these readily in my car before sending them out without the aid of another party to accept my call. I have an iPhone 4S so I just ask Siri a few questions she will respond to with spoken answers. My kids have begun to add to the question list, their favorites are "Siri, will you marry me?" and "Siri, why are fire trucks red?". I like to ask her what the local time is in cities around the globe, not just the usual suspects either. Small towns in Germany, tiny south Pacific Islands, etc. If she can understand my spoken queries about obscure distant destinations, I figure the mic and noise cancelling systems are doing a pretty good job. As an added bonus, she'll give your the weather expected that day in the same locales.

My Passat is soooo much smarter with BlueSTAR and Siri.

:D

Chung
May 24th, 2013, 17:16
Should we be updating our firmware? Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.

keithwbloom
May 24th, 2013, 17:55
Should we be updating our firmware? Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.

Short answer is not unless your firmware is older than 12-0918. That is the most recent stable firmware and had incorporated all the relevant changes added in the 13-0308 general release for the GM LAN versions. If your firmware is older than 12-0918, then I can send you tthat version and a text init script to run after to update your BlueSTAR II to the current sound canceling profiles. I would recommend you update your Costar Programming Utility to do so, it offer a cleaner interface and will allow you to run the init script without having to switch the file type to see it in the chooser.

Cheers,

Keith

keithwbloom
May 24th, 2013, 17:59
Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.

The Phaetons have mic arrays IIRC, so that rear passengers can participate equally in quality conversation, but I am not certain. If you replace the mic, you will need to find an array with roughly the same impedance (?) to keep the noise cancelling circuit in balance.

I can ask Costar if this is correct procedure, I am not really well versed in mic dynamics.

Cheers,

Keith

Chung
May 24th, 2013, 19:33
Interesting. I don't suppose you have the part number for the Phaeton microphone? The problem is echo canceler should come before the beam forming. Now that I think about it more I don't know how it would work if the costar is already doing echo cancellation.

keithwbloom
May 24th, 2013, 19:37
Hard to say. The system was designed around the onstar mic. Best improvement will come from adding the attenuation if he has an older device (BlueSTAR 2010 model).

The BlueSTAR works best with lower input levels, but it does put out power on the mic line to power up the circuits in the mic. This might have a bad effect on a different mic.

-Chris

Sooo, if your BlueSTAR is not the BlueSTAR II variety, a hardware tweak can be done so it can use new noise canceling profiles. The service is not DIY, I have to add an inline capacitor and reconfigure a couple of resistors on the PCB. I don't think anyone on this forum has a BlueSTAR 2010, I think you all are recent enough customers to have the BlueSTAR II architecture.

:D

boca rat
January 16th, 2019, 04:09
Just bought an RS6 that has Costar installed. I have no instructions for how to use it, pair etc. Is there a manual or something?

And this thread explains the Track99 display that was confusing the hell out of me!

Thx!

Chung
January 16th, 2019, 17:51
The manual is here http://costartech.com/pb/products/datasheets/BLUESTAR%20II/BLUESTAR%20II%20users%20manual.pdf . Mine has an issue where I need to unplug the whole thing to reset it. Currently I cannot get it to work or update but it does power on so recently I have been just using my phone microphone and the AUX input.

boca rat
January 16th, 2019, 21:03
Thanks for this. Car is out of state right now at a friends house, so I can't test this, but I don't remember my phone (Galaxy S9) seeing a BLUESTAR device. I'll need to check. Also, a quick search of the docs doesn't show how to reset the list of phones or delete them, as it only will remember 4 phones. Not sure if that is an issue or not though.

Thanks again!

Oh, and what color is your RS6? Daytona or Avus? :o)

The manual is here http://costartech.com/pb/products/datasheets/BLUESTAR%20II/BLUESTAR%20II%20users%20manual.pdf . Mine has an issue where I need to unplug the whole thing to reset it. Currently I cannot get it to work or update but it does power on so recently I have been just using my phone microphone and the AUX input.

Chung
January 16th, 2019, 21:23
Mine is Daytona. If I remember correctly you can reset the device via USB. For some reason mine is not letting me communicate with it and I didn't feel like pulling the glove box to unplug and replug it in. I haven't used mine in years and just recently got access to my RS6 again.

boca rat
January 17th, 2019, 17:38
Thx @Chung, will post back when I see the car next. r.e. daytona/avus question, just realized interior is "silver".....duh, sorry about that,

boca rat
March 17th, 2019, 20:29
OK, now have the car at home. Calls working fine, quality a bit scratchy according to folks whom I have called but otherwise OK.

Should I be able to stream music? If so how? Not output when using Pandora and connected....

Thx!

Chung
July 22nd, 2019, 18:13
OK, now have the car at home. Calls working fine, quality a bit scratchy according to folks whom I have called but otherwise OK.

Should I be able to stream music? If so how? Not output when using Pandora and connected....

Thx!

Sorry for the long delay. You can stream music if you buy the aux input for your radio and attach it to the costar. I ended up replacing my headunit with one of those OEM look a like units with wireless carplay so I am not using my costar anymore so I don't remember exactly. I think the input I bought worked off the CD Changer input and you hit the cd button twice to select it or something like that.

boca rat
October 20th, 2021, 19:29
So my CD player died and decided to give streaming a go....and it worked! Well half-worked - just the left hand channel has sound. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Chung
October 25th, 2021, 16:19
Which system did you end up going with?

boca rat
October 26th, 2021, 17:39
Which system did you end up going with?

Still working on this trying to source a good used Symphony II