PDA

View Full Version : My Clutch Is "pure" Shit

smerayo
October 21st, 2003, 00:06
i picked up my s4 sedan on Friday. I simply made 250 kms when my clutch was literally "fried". I didn t want to make any abuse of the cluth until i break in the car. I think the clucth "stinks" as "S**t".

i was forgetting to mention that, an e46 m3 is much quicker than our S4s (i had one) and more agile with less mileage consumption. On the other hand, the Audi is quite more comfortable and has a very incredible torque (in my opinion).

To sum up: i am quite happy with the car except for the shitty clutch. (it only took 250mk :flamed: to be fried) i don t know what s going on with Audi but they better get this problem sorted out...:mad:

Dimitri
October 21st, 2003, 07:36
I canīt believe it Sergio :bigeyes: Iīm just about to pick up my car this week (thursday) but Iīd like to thinki Iīll be able to go little bit longer than you...

I donīt understand how can audi sell this car after all the comments with heard about de weakness of its cluth, does anybody know if they pare planning to make any change in the cars already sold to fix it?

Anyway Sergio, I wish it was only a problem It wonīt be back once they fix it for you...

I wait for your next report not that condioned for those first disgussting impresions.

Weīll be in touch, Iīll tell you how goes mine after my first weekend :incar:

smerayo
October 21st, 2003, 13:38
Dimitri, the clutch was fried ONLY with 250kms. I picked it on Friday and had to leave the car at Audis on Monday Afternoon. I borrowed an Audi a4 TDI from Audi customer service. The problem is supposed to be fixed within 4 days :rolleyes: let s see whatīappens!

McBurn4ever
October 21st, 2003, 15:57
Really sad to hear that!
Maybe the german S4 clutch can't handle the spanish temperament... ;)

I'm just kidding!
I hope everything turns out right.

Since my S4 Avant is made this week I sure hope Audi has fixed this problem by now!

smerayo
October 21st, 2003, 16:31
Originally posted by McBurn4ever
Really sad to hear that!
Maybe the german S4 clutch can't handle the spanish temperament... ;)

:D :D :D Unfortunately, i didn t have much time to use all my temperament. I only had the car 2 "quick" days.

My car was delievrered on Friday so i think Audi has not had enough time to handle this situation. However, i give you my best wishes w/ your car.

Dimitri
October 21st, 2003, 16:40
McBurn, you said your car will we made this week, when did you order it? Because Iīm a little bit disappointed since I ordered my car by the end of May and itīll be coming tomorrow. (first of all my dealer told me two months and at the end it was four)

They told me there were some delays only in the Avant ones, but not in the sedans, what about you, did it last what they told you first?

Anyway, we spanish will try to drive our S4īs in a German way... but, I guess thereīs only one way isnīt it? je je je... :D

Ufff, I canīt wait any longer... It should be tomorrow but....

:s4addict:

McBurn4ever
October 21st, 2003, 21:24
Hello Dimitri!

I ordered my silver Audi S4 Avant at the 2nd of June.
At first they told me it would be built this week. After a couple of week they told me that it would be built two weeks earlier, but sometime in the begining of September they told me that it was back at this week again...this time definitely..so if nothing goes wrong I will be driving really fast in about two weeks.. :hihi:

:race:

Klint
October 21st, 2003, 22:20
Are you sure it isn't your clutch control?

Cars with good torque curves like the S4 V8 and M5 tend to have temperamental clutches that need that soft touch to make them last. i.e Have the clutch fully out before accelerating hard, don't do hard acceleration drives in first gear, do it in second gear+. Having the clutch fully out before 1,500rpms arrive etc.

It's not the power that's soo much a problem for the clutches of these vehicles, it's the torque that's the killer. You could drive along just using clutch control and no revs, because the torque is there! Right at 1,000rpms!

If your not use to powerful and torquey motors then a driving school might be a good suggestion...

:cheers:

roel
October 22nd, 2003, 08:36
On other forums i saw users with the same clutch problems
already smoked after several days. I asked my dealer
about it and he told me that it is problem for audi.
He has recently had one case with a new s4 and after
reparing the clutch it was fine. I guess that audi will
solve this issue pretty soon .
I will get my tiptronic s4 this week and hope that it doesn,t have
the same problems.
:confused:

Erik
October 22nd, 2003, 08:46
Tiptronic should be fine. :D

I had no problems with the car I had for a weekend and I drove it pretty hard (but right) :hihi:

BeltwayBandit
October 23rd, 2003, 23:08
AudiWorld down ALL DAY. I need a fix, so here I am.

With any luck, my next Audi will be an S4 Avant. It may not be until 2005/6 because I hate buying anything new, especially an Audi.

Re: Klint: I don't think user error is likely. SMerayo had an M3, and should be able to use the third pedal. In any event, anybody should be able to get more than 250KM out of a clutch.

On the bright side, there is almost zero chance that this is a systemic defect. Chances are something was out of adjustment from the factory that caused slippage.

smerayo
October 24th, 2003, 00:35
BeltwayBandit, my M3 was an SMGII . It s ok. I have had plenty of cars with the third pedal. My car will be fixed tomorrow morning so i will be telling you guys how it went. Meanwhile, i m trying to figure out what company can make clutch upgrades. Anyone knows?

Muju
October 24th, 2003, 08:51
hey smerayo,

Take a look at abt and mtm. I have an abt clutch in my a4 and its nice and works well.

smerayo
October 24th, 2003, 09:55
THANK YOU MUJU... Do yeah have the abt website :rolleyes: ? And do you know aproximate cost?
Regards

Erik
October 24th, 2003, 11:22
www.abt-sportsline.com

smerayo
October 24th, 2003, 11:56
thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!:cheers:

BeltwayBandit
October 24th, 2003, 13:38
SMerayo:

Wouldn't you worry about losing your warranty by upgrading the clutch? If I were you, I would see if the first fix solved the problem, and maybe go through another clutch before giving up your warranty. Given Audi's militant stance on aftermarket, you could risk blowing your warranty on the entire drivetrain.

Your call, of course. Good luck.

(AudiWorld down for a second day. I may have to buy an S4 just to fit in here.)

smerayo
October 24th, 2003, 16:29
I would really have to ask about that. Firstly, let s see how the new clutch goes...hope it sn like the first one.

By the way, i think you don t need to have an S4 to fit in here, so if you buy one, do it īcause you like the car
:) :)

Erik
October 24th, 2003, 16:34
Originally posted by smerayo
By the way, i think you don t need to have an S4 to fit in here, so if you buy one, do it īcause you like the car
:) :)

I think everybody who likes this forum should buy an S4 ;)

BeltwayBandit
October 24th, 2003, 18:23
Does it help that I just drove my A6 2.7T past an Audi dealer that had an RS6 parked out front? I was hoping to stop in and try to do a little slight of hand and drive off in the RS6.

I was surprised that they had the RS6 lined up just like any other new car. No special treatment.

smerayo
October 24th, 2003, 22:03
Originally posted by Erik
I think everybody who likes this forum should buy an S4 ;)

:rolleyes: ...depending on the cash available in the savings account ;) ;):D

Dimitri
October 25th, 2003, 08:46
Sergio, I picked up my S4 yesterday, I put 300 kms on it (with the biggest smile on my face :D :D :D :D :D :D ) and I canīt tell you, wait for your clutch to be fixed cause I didnīt fell any problem at all.

Iīm really amezed with the performance of the car, but the best I like Itīs how easy let you go really fast whithout that big effort, It makes me feel as If I were a good driver.

Iīll post pictures soon together with his little brother (R32).

So I hope you get the car soon and fully enjoy it.

And... by the way,I recommend everyone here go and get it, best money "wasted" ever..

smerayo
October 25th, 2003, 11:23
Originally posted by Dimitri
Sergio, I picked up my S4 yesterday, I put 300 kms on it (with the biggest smile on my face :D :D :D :D :D :D ) and I canīt tell you, wait for your clutch to be fixed cause I didnīt fell any problem at all.

Iīm really amezed with the performance of the car, but the best I like Itīs how easy let you go really fast whithout that big effort, It makes me feel as If I were a good driver.

Iīll post pictures soon together with his little brother (R32).

So I hope you get the car soon and fully enjoy it.

And... by the way,I recommend everyone here go and get it, best money "wasted" ever..

I am glad you have finally picked up your "beast". I told you that it had a "huge" torque and lets you go fast with the minimum effort. I am even happier you are not having any clutch problems. Please attach some pictures whenever you can. If you like tracking the car, we may meet sometime at Jarama. It costs around 150 Euros to track your car.
Good luck;)

Dimitri
October 25th, 2003, 11:33
And what about yours, itīs allready fixed?

Jarama woul be really nice, Iīve been there and some other tracks here but always whith motorbikes, never with a car, but I think Iīll enjoy it, and of course, as happened in the past with the bikes, it makes you think about driving hard on open roads...

Just send me a message when you know thereīs weekend open for public and Iīll try to go.

Good luck with your car, Iīm sure it theyīll solve the problem.

smerayo
October 25th, 2003, 11:43
Originally posted by Dimitri
And what about yours, itīs allready fixed?

Jarama woul be really nice, Iīve been there and some other tracks here but always whith motorbikes, never with a car, but I think Iīll enjoy it, and of course, as happened in the past with the bikes, it makes you think about driving hard on open roads...

Just send me a message when you know thereīs weekend open for public and Iīll try to go.

Good luck with your car, Iīm sure it theyīll solve the problem.

It is suppoed to be fixed up on Monday. What part of Spain are you from?
Whenever it is open for the public, i will keep you posted...

Erik
October 29th, 2003, 17:01
Problems list

http://www.dejong947.com/AudiTracking/audi_tracker.asp

smerayo
October 29th, 2003, 23:52
I have already joined that list. However, my clutch problem has been solved:) And it s working perfectly....