PDA

View Full Version : Newbie shoot down

tightgroup
April 5th, 2012, 03:20
I was ready to pull the trigger on a C5 RS6 , but after doing the Carfax, I saw that it was a salvage. Though from the pictures of the salvage it was a rear impact with a front bumper and quarter panel

I worked in a body shop in my younger days and salvage claims where done on a regular basis and the work was well done, and I have to say some salvage did not need more than just a bit of cosmetic work.

NOW,,, will an Audi dealership be able to tell me if the car was well repaired and the sub frame is true. I also must say the purchase price is very interesting

Thanks

NSU RS6
April 5th, 2012, 03:36
There are times where I think that a perfect, minimum side fender hit would be a good thing.

I would fix the car, observe every aspect of the repair, then know it is as good as new, and have $15K to turn it into a MONSTER.

If you can verify the above, I say go for it.

(This is from someone who paid pretty much top$$ for a one owner, all records, low mile example).

tightgroup
April 5th, 2012, 04:04
Thanks. But the owner had the Rs6 repaired. From the pics it looks like good work, but then again..

mdegracia
April 5th, 2012, 12:51
Sounds like you will need to inspect in person to verify the level of cosmetic repair is up to snuff and get it on a lift to check out the other bits.

I was in a similar boat, while my car had not been in an accident or salavage titled, an upset girlfriend of the previous owner lost control of her psycho tendencies and dented the hell out of the passenger side rear door and quarter...everybody was kung-fu fighting style, if ya know what I mean! But, the price was right and the damage was repaired.

Jimmy
April 5th, 2012, 15:13
It must had been one heck of an accident to make the car 'salvaged'. 1 fender and a 1 bumper cover isn't going to add up to over the car's value....is it?

lswing
April 5th, 2012, 16:19
I worked in a body shop in my younger days and salvage claims where done on a regular basis and the work was well done, and I have to say some salvage did not need more than just a bit of cosmetic work.

Thanks

Not to discount the work, but covering up structural problems with just body work doesn't always fix it in the long run. You could have a myriad of issues from safety, to handling, to parts wearing early due to the misalignment of the body frame...I would think...airbags probably went to?

I just had a $3k repair due to a bent power steering rod wearing early and tearing up the seal. The corner of the car had made impact from the previous owner, all other susp parts had been replaced, I hope this was the last piece in the area:)

NSU RS6
April 5th, 2012, 17:11
One of the first RS6's I drove had a salvage title, and it was priced accordingly. I think it ended up getting $15K on ebay. It was not fixed very well. Grille/Hood/Fender misalignments, OK Daytona paint, but the worst thing was it was an absolute rattle trap. Like the front interior had been completely disassembled, and then put together by someone else. I don't think I could buy a salvage title without seeing the repairs first hand. But if it cut my cost basis on the one I have in half, then that is something I could probably live with. Knock on wood because I really do not want this to happen.

MNRS6
April 5th, 2012, 19:37
One of the first RS6's I drove had a salvage title, and it was priced accordingly. I think it ended up getting $15K on ebay. It was not fixed very well. Grille/Hood/Fender misalignments, OK Daytona paint, but the worst thing was it was an absolute rattle trap. Like the front interior had been completely disassembled, and then put together by someone else. I don't think I could buy a salvage title without seeing the repairs first hand. But if it cut my cost basis on the one I have in half, then that is something I could probably live with. Knock on wood because I really do not want this to happen.

Ha, NSU RS6, what year did you drive that salvaged RS6? I bet I own it now. I bought it from a friend who purchased it on ebay for $15k about a year and a half ago. Did you just test drive it or own it?

NSU RS6
April 5th, 2012, 20:18
I want to say it was last July or so. A shop called West Coast Autoworks in Lynnwood, Washington had it. They were asking $17K. I immediately inquired if it had a salvage title, and they replied yes. I pretended to still be interested, because I wanted to drive as many examples as possible. Drove it, and it had alignment issues in addition to other ones I mentioned previously, but seemed to run and shift well. The saleman kept calling and calling, told me it was going up on ebay, and I watched it get listed a couple of times, finally selling at around $15K when the reserve was lifted. I wouldn't find the one I ended up buying for another six months.

MNRS6
April 5th, 2012, 20:24
I don't think it could have been it because the guy I know owned it during the winter of 2010/2011. There aren't many of these on the rode, fun to track the history.

Jim

tightgroup
April 6th, 2012, 00:33
Here is a link to the pics of the damage. Bags do seem to have deployed..

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/tightgroup/RS6/

Thanks