PDA

View Full Version : Vibration in steering wheel

kilian tuning
April 2nd, 2012, 18:07
Ive posted some time ago about vibration in my steering wheel, which was solved by balancing them. (the 18 inch ones..)
But im still figuring out why my steering wheel is vibrating only when the engine is cold...
Any ideas? Refreshing the powersteering Oil (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/)? DRC? Wheelbearing? Related to the right front rattle?

hahnmgh63
April 2nd, 2012, 18:58
Some tires brands/types are more prone to flat spotting over night or after sitting for a couple of days than others, mine (Dunlope Sport Maxx) are but normally clear up after about 5~10K of driving when cold.

lswing
April 2nd, 2012, 19:28
I've had the same issue with my car, never really understood it. Attributed it to bearings/drivetrain/bushing smoothing out after warming up...dunno? Does seem to vary and might be the temperature, hasn't been that bad though and usually goes away after a mile or so...

4everRS
April 2nd, 2012, 23:32
Do you have hancook tires?

lswing
April 2nd, 2012, 23:36
Nitto's for summer, Nokian's for winter, and come to think of it even though it's been colder, the problem might not be around as much with the Nokian's....

PixieVC
April 3rd, 2012, 05:36
I didn't have an RS6 that had this issue, but I did have a BMW 540i that did - exhibited a vibration, only when cold, between 45 and 55 MPH in the steering wheel. Eventually traced it to bad bushings in the control arms. When the car would warm up, the torn rubber bushings would expand, and thus the issue wouldn't present itself.

The tire issue - is another possible one, but if you have good tires this isn't something they should be doing. If you don't have good tires, I suggest you pony up the cash and get some... an RS6 on cheap rubber is like ... well, words fail me for that, but our good friend "Wonder Mike" has this to say:

I say a can of beer that's sweeter than honey,
Like a millionaire that has no money,
Like a rainy day that is not wet,
Like a gamblin' fiend that does not bet
Like Dracula without his fangs,
Like the boogie to the boogie without the boogie bang,
Like collard greens that don't taste good,
Like a tree that's not made out of wood
Like goin' up and not comin' down,
Is just like the beat without the sound, no sound
To the beat beat, you do the freak
Everybody just rock and dance to the beat

kilian tuning
April 3rd, 2012, 07:24
ive got Kuhmo tyres, not the best i know...
But it could well be the bushes mentioned, ive got a rattle at the right front, but that could also be the incredible drc failure...:)