PDA

View Full Version : New Problems

RCV3
October 20th, 2003, 16:02
My frustration level is growing with my RS6 - it is a beast but I am beginning to think of it that way for a different reason.

I posted a week or so ago that my car was delivered with 47 miles (which the board seemed to think was on the high side but not that unusual). It also had a problem during dealer prep with a pump of some wort which added fresh air to the exhaust system to deal with emission levels. The dealer replaced it and guaranteed me the car was perfect before I took delivery a week ago.

Now the new problem, with 250 miles now on the clock I have an engine management system warning light. The dealer tells me it is a totally new problem - a pressure leak "somewhere in the engine - either in the fuel delivery or the exhaust gasses". The fact that they cannot even tell whether it is in the "in" side or the "out" side if you will frightens me. The salesman is of no help at all. The mechanic is being very honest and now admits that the delivery miles seem a bit high. He is now requesting all info from Audi on the car's testing before it was shipped.

Have any of you had similar problems or any significant early problems with your RS6s? I have had a lemon or two in my day and really do not car to go through that again.

JAXRS6
October 20th, 2003, 18:14
...after 7800 miles in my beast. Sounds like dealer is doing what they can, however. If they don't come up with satisfactory "history" answers AND apparent solving of this latest problem, I would insist on getting another car. If they balk, your options might include consulting with an attorney, finding out more about lemon laws in your state, or (my choice) leaving the car at the dealer and telling them to keep it until it runs right.

That last one is easy for me to say because I have another car I can use. If you don't, the other choices might be better.

As for what would happen if you DO try to leave the car with them, I honestly don't know, but my suspicion is they would be baffled and embarassed enough to find you another car. If I was doing it and they balked at leaving it there, I would simply park it, deliver the keys to the service writer, announce my plans & then go somewhere else to call for a cab home.

Keep records of all expenses incurred, for reimbursement later.

I have never tried this, so if the idea makes you nervous, maybe you should call an attorney. Personally, tho, I would try this first because the idea is to find a solution WITHOUT paying attorneys fees.

Bauer
October 20th, 2003, 19:59
I would see what the mechanic finds out from AoA and see if they can fix the problem. If they can I would still put the dealer and Audi on notice via a letter sent certifed mail stating my concern for the car and that if problems presist (even if they are new) that they might want to make arangements to deliver a NEW car to me.

I would probably not "lawyer up" as attourneys call it because it will change everyones stance of help to one of resistance. I would do everything I could to get the dealer and AoA to see it my way before getting a lawyer involved. My experience is that once you mention the word "lawyer" things get a lot harder. I would document everything and put ALL of my concerns into a letter or letters and try and work with in the system. Just my 2 cents....good luck and I hope everything works out. This will be a test for AoA...keep us posted please.:cheers:

GoFastKindaGuy
October 20th, 2003, 20:24
This sounds exactly like the problem I am having with my silver bullet. I've had the air sensors replaced and systems reset, but the check engine light remains on. It is still unresolved. However, mine had only 20 or so miles when I picked it up -- and the problem only appeared after about 1500 miles.

Perhaps your dealer service guy (or you) may wish to talk with my dealer service guy, David Meyer, International Autos, (414) 543-3000 x 182. If we share information, perhaps we can get more pressure for resolution from AoA of VAG.

JAXRS6
October 21st, 2003, 00:35
That's good advice from Bauer IMO!

TheBrit
October 21st, 2003, 13:50
Originally posted by RCV3
My frustration level is growing with my RS6 - it is a beast but I am beginning to think of it that way for a different reason.
I hope you get your problems sorted out without too much hassle. My RS 6 has done over 22,00 miles now and the only problem I had is cracked brake discs at 11k miles, this being discovered after a prolonged play with a (friendly) A8 4.2 on some very tight backroads on a very sunny day. It was all replaced under warranty without any question as to how it was caused.

A good dealer goes a long way to making for a happy RS 6 experience, hope yours is up to it.

RCV3
October 21st, 2003, 16:31
I will keep you all posted - so far the dealer has replaced the "cannister" and said the leak seems to have stopped. They said to drive it for a while and see if it comes back. I will give them a few tries but my patience is not unlimited given that they have already had at least 2 chances to get it irght (not counting what went on before delivery, if anything).

As for Bauer's advice, I agree it is a good plan. Fortunately, I am a lawyer and I delivered such a letter before I even accepted delivery of the car. :devil:

gmbh6
October 21st, 2003, 16:58
...the Mass Air Flow Sensors.

That happened to my beast.

AOA says that these problems are normal with a "hand built" car. Like that is gonna make us feel better. I thought that's why you build a car by hand.....not to have these problems.

Bauer
October 21st, 2003, 17:23
RCV3,

I hope everything works out for you and atleast you would not have any lawyer costs except your lost time.....which I guess is a cost :cheers:

CAROUSEL28
October 22nd, 2003, 21:11
I am just curious, if anyone knows what codes are coming up?? If you service consultant is providing that information.. Almost sounds like there may be an O2 sensor problem. Just a hunch. I know there is very few technicians that will want to do such a job. It is a very difficult repair because of location. I would be very interested in helping you with this situation.

Also these cars are not meant to baby. Drive the heck out of them!!!!! This is the one thing that was stressed in RS6 training that I attended in Pheonix. Just my thoughts.

:race:

RCV3
October 22nd, 2003, 21:29
I will try to find out what codes are indicated in the diagnostic runs. Thus far, things seem to be fixed though I have only put on 30 miles or so since the repairs. I will be doing 600 or so miles this weekend so I should have a better sense then.

As for your offer to "help with this" - how can you help? mechanically? I am of course interested in any help that will solve the problems.

Also - what training did you just attend in Phoenix? Some sort of driving school like the M school BMW provides with their M5? That would be nice though I have not heard anyting about it. The M5 school was a blast and at BMW's expense. Something tells me that if Audi balked at giving us a watch, a driving school is out of the question.

I will happily go without the watch and the school if they can get my car right.

CAROUSEL28
October 22nd, 2003, 21:47
I am an Audi Service Manager. We had RS6 training for Audi dealers (RS6 only) in Pheonix where we got hands on driving and educational training.