PDA

View Full Version : Driver door refresh

Tom Sawyer
March 28th, 2012, 20:27
Strange title, I know... but being a bit anal about my cars, I'm wanting to address what I can only describe as a somewhat 'sloppy' feel to the drivers door. Naturally from being open/closed for 8 years (and though I cringe at 'slammers', I can't be sure the previous owner wasn't one!)... it seems to be a little well, sloppy. It has a bit of catch/crunch when I open the door with either handle, and the door does not have that tight clean 'thump' close like the other 3 do. Takes a bit more force to get it fully closed as well. Finally, the entire door seems to ever so slightly drop when I do open it. Could be an odd perception thing, but there's something there.

Any thoughts and recommendations on 'refurbing' my door to a nice fresh tight feel? I've seen parts available on ECS for the latch mechanism, striker, etc... I've also noticed that when the window is down, it seems to emit some rattle noise when closed. Passenger door does not. At some point in the future, I'm planning on pulling the the driver panel to replace the plastic (poorly coated) surround for the switches so figured I'd make a full on project out of this when the time comes.

TIA!

Cochese
March 29th, 2012, 00:17
Interesting thread indeed. I need to fix my drivers door as well, but it is the trim on the bottom that is loose. Looks like one screw (missing) and a bunch of clips may be broken?

mik15
March 29th, 2012, 05:09
i had the same issue with the lower trim, it turned out the clip was broken and the screw wasn't tightening anymore so i have applied a bit of transparent marine sealant to put it back together and now sits just perfect!
With the door i have the same problem, i have so far adjusted the part on the middle pillar and it is better but not perfect as the other 3, there still is a bit of catching but definitely is better than before. I have also checked and there is no play in the hinges so i guess it's just wear....probably replacing all the parts including the hinges would solve the problem but i don't thing i will do it soon, it doesn't bother me that much anymore after adjusting it...

kismetcapitan
March 29th, 2012, 05:17
my door still feels like a bank vault; however, the switch doesn't work. I asked the folks at Import Auto Maintenance to take it apart and clean out the contacts (that usually does it, otherwise it's a $300-odd part), but they disassembled to a certain point and didn't feel comfortable going further.

Not much holds the door together - one just needs a driver to fit those two star bolts. If I get around to getting one of those, I'll take the door apart to clean out that switch, and I suppose I'll then be able to see what can be adjusted in there. I suspect it's something; otherwise, the problem would come from something being bent. Did you price out what it'd cost to do all the mechanical bits (latch, striker, etc)?

What's your idea for recoating the switches and door handle wear areas? For a car that cost $85,000 new (close to $100,000 in today's dollars), cheap rubber coatings and the way the coating scrapes off the climate control buttons just seems unacceptable.

mik15
March 29th, 2012, 08:49
i have replaced all the parts that had problems with the rubber coating and i have noticed that the new ones i bought from Audi are different than the old ones, looks like the rubber coating is been replaced with something more durable, just yesterday i have replaced the lower trim of the steering wheel column shell and you can feel the difference when you touch it between the old one and the new one...the only parts i couldn't replace are the rear doors inner handles as i can't remove it so i've scratched off the rubber coating on the upper side where it was peeling off and it looks ok, at least the ones in the front are ok, surprisingly :)...

mrdave
March 29th, 2012, 15:41
I would like to know this as well. Is there a way to adjust the door's alignment? I think mine is sagging a tiny bit and hits the latch harder than it should when I close it.

Also, while we're on the subject of doors, does anyone know how to fix the little pocket door thing on the bottom next to the speaker? Mine doesn't close anymore.

Edit: not my door - just found a pic online and added a circle. This is what I'm talking about:

Tom Sawyer
March 29th, 2012, 17:20
i have replaced all the parts that had problems with the rubber coating and i have noticed that the new ones i bought from Audi are different than the old ones, looks like the rubber coating is been replaced with something more durable, just yesterday i have replaced the lower trim of the steering wheel column shell and you can feel the difference when you touch it between the old one and the new one...the only parts i couldn't replace are the rear doors inner handles as i can't remove it so i've scratched off the rubber coating on the upper side where it was peeling off and it looks ok, at least the ones in the front are ok, surprisingly :)...

I experienced exactly the same thing when replacing the switch panel in my B6 S4, it definitely looked more durable and had just a better finish all together. As previously stated, you would think for an $80K+ car they might put something a little more robust than they do in their standard production cars, I guess they have to cut the special treatment off somewhere.

ben916
March 29th, 2012, 17:36
My drivers side door exterior door handle has an odd mechanism feel/sound. It isn't smooth more of a increased resistance as you attempt to open the door with the handle.
It has been this way since I have owned the car. It ISN'T getting worse but it is an acceptable irritation as, to me, there are other things to fix/worry about.

I would like it smooth like the passenger side, and the window down rattle when shutting the door would be nice to eliminate.

lswing
March 29th, 2012, 19:15
I'm also in the ballpark with the sticky handles/levers on the inside and out. They work, but could be much smoother. I assume I need to get into the door and lube the cables or something...