PDA

View Full Version : RS6 and me going from Frankfurt to Ottawa

bobski
March 28th, 2012, 17:03
I have posted before that I am a US Diplomat with my US spec RS in Frankfurt. I am having a great time bombing around on the autobahn. The German Audi service centers are very very expensive and have no particular expertise with the RS6, but all has been good.

I just found out that I am going to Ottawa next. Can anyone from Canada give me advice about what I should do with the RS6 in Canada? Do I need an engine block heater? Are studded tires legal or even needed? Are snow tires required or are All-seasons OK which I have on her now (Conti DWS)? My car has 53K and just had the 55K service.

Anyone out there know anything about Ottawa? I am shocked that is my next assignment. I was expecting Nairobi or Bogota or something where I would want to buy a used armored Land Cruiser.

Thanks!

mik15
March 28th, 2012, 17:54
nice city Frankfurt, i like it and i like Germany :) a lot, hopefully will move over there in the near future...you got to love the Autobahn, though it's getting crowded year by year but still is one of the best places to test your car, you should've also tried the Nurburgring or Hockenheim...i've done my service there in the past for an Audi and it's not indeed cheap but i have to disagree with you on their skills, i find them as being the best, after all it is the mother country of Audi and if they don't have the skills then i don't know who might....plus of all the over 8k RS6 C5 made i think a very large number of them was sold in Germany so they've seen more of these machines than any other mechanics around the globe...

i knew in Germany was mandatory to have winter tires for the cold season, not all-seasons, most likely in Canada you're going to need good winter tires, it is definitely going to be a stronger winter than in Germany. Good luck with the new assignment!

vr430
March 29th, 2012, 17:46
Oh yeah, and don't forget to install bull-guards on the front in case you hit a moose roaming freely on Ottawa streets.

Engine block heater? Studded tires? Really? Frankfurt is further north than Ottawa! Are you really a diplomat or are you just perpetuating a stereotype in jest?

kday
March 29th, 2012, 23:11
Well Boston is further south than Marseilles but the climate is a bit different...

I have the DWS on my car and would not run them anywhere with significant snow. (Which most years includes Boston but not this one!)
The one major snowstorm I got caught in this winter in the RS6 (driving back from Montreal as it happens) was pretty dicey with the DWS tires. We were slipping and sliding all over and stuck in the right lane with all the 2WD peasants.

March 30th, 2012, 01:02
Best winter tires...Blizzaks, or Hankook I-Pikes. Don't even need Quattro with those and over 400 inches of snow here a year. Man, to have the RS on the 'Bahn. Sweet! Enjoy your new assignment.

Jimmy
March 30th, 2012, 14:33
Yep, a set of Blizzaks should be all you need for the winter....fantastic tires for the snow and ice.

04rs6cdn
March 30th, 2012, 17:12
Haha....no Moose on the roads here.....I live in Ottawa, just bought my 04 RS6 and ready to enjoy. Look me up and I'll introduce you to some of the local club menbers and show you some of the best roads to cruise around in. I will also be heading to Carlisle PA in May too.
http://by159w.bay159.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=100b3844-7a83-11e1-b030-00237de3337c&Aux=4|0|8CEDCA6F83DCC20||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxJTUcwMDU2NS0yMDEyMDMzMC0xMjA3LmpwZ3xpbWFnZ S9qcGVnhttp://by159w.bay159.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=104e19c4-7a83-11e1-985e-00215ad7f15c&Aux=44|0|8CEDCA6F7977A00||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxJTUcwMDU2NC0yMDEyMDMzMC0xMjA2LmpwZ3xpbWFnZ S9qcGVn 2004 RS6 only 54 miles or 93kms MTM ECU,TCU only so far.....

Aronis
March 30th, 2012, 22:06
I lived in Malone NY for 7 years. just south of the Canadian border. So snow similar to Ottawa area.

Dunlop Wintersport M3s have served me well.

Watch out for RADAR detector Detector, Japanese Ontario, near Ottawa, they have the newest detector which sniffs out Valentine One radar detectors.

Mike

rwheelz
April 1st, 2012, 04:25
I will plug you in with a good friend in Ottawa. He has a trustworthy Audi repair guy who will hook you up!

bobski
April 10th, 2012, 15:01
I posted a response to all the great advice, but it did not end up being a thread, so not sure what happened. I will buy some Blizzaks as the M3's don't seem to come in OEM size anymore.

I will take you guys up on meeting up as well as the name of the good Audi mechanic in Ottawa.

I guess I don't have to worry about low temps as no one mentioned block heaters or special treatment for the car. And, yes, Ottawa is MUCH colder and MUCH snowier than Frankfurt. We have had two tiny snowfalls in the last two winters.

Don't know much about Ottawa, but it should be fun-lots of wilderness, lots of outdoor opportunities and it seems like there are a lot of housing options from downtown high end condos to farms to historic houses with a yard.

No Autobahn though, schade.

Thanks again.

04rs6cdn
April 10th, 2012, 15:40
I'll show you some good stretches of roads where you can open it up a little. Ottawa is a nice city, clean, not too big, nice downtown with lots of cafe/restaurants patios. Its warm from May to Oct. Europro Automotive is a good Audi mech...as well as Tapp auto here in town. Cheers......when do you get here?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRQ1bfid3IcaEhEijAss1nB4_ijvftN PXjtQ8ty_h7cm1ekMcD9g

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2012, 19:28
Can anyone from Canada give me advice about what I should do with the RS6 in Canada?First off, you CANNOT bring your existing RS6 with you..... It does not meet the requirements of the Department of Transportation. You need to know this straight up front.

The Registrars of Imported Vehicles (RIV) does not permit any cars that are younger than 15 years from being imported off the North American continent. This includes your 03 which of course is only 9 years old. You will need to look at either purchasing one of the 90 2004 models that were released by Audi of North America in Canada, purchasing one of the numerous 2003 models released in the US and then import to Canada under the regulations of the RIV, or, purchase a 2003 model that has already been imported from the US by someone (I think there is 3 or 4 currently for sale in Canada - possibly more).

www.riv.ca (http://www.riv.ca)

bobski
April 10th, 2012, 20:08
For the same reason I can drive my US spec RS6 in Europe, I can drive it in Canada as we get Diplomatic plates and are exempted from local standards. I had a TüV inspection here and passed because as long as it passes safety, then I can drive it even though it does not meet all the German standards. Same with Canada. Thanks for the warning though.

And, to answer your question about when I arrive, I should get there by mid-January and my car maybe by mid-February.

Thanks again for the advice.

kday
April 10th, 2012, 21:22
Out of curiosity, is there anything about the US spec RS6 that would preclude non-exempt usage in Germany? (Too many cupholders?)

bobski
April 15th, 2012, 08:13
Conversion costs about $1500 and that includes headlights, tail lights and I think a few other small things. I had to replace both front side windows even with my exemption status because US spec tinting was too dark. Seemed stupid to me.