PDA

View Full Version : Somebody e-High5 me. ECT sensor completed on my S8

FacePalm
March 27th, 2012, 03:17
I understand this is probably a 1 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty. But there is definitely something gratifying about completing something for 1/10th the cost of a stealer.

Got a MIL yesterday. Pulled the code and got P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High Output. A bit of research showed me it was most likely ECT sensor or thermostat. My guage was normal so I banked on it being the sensor. A trip to the dealer and I got the parts.

Only things I had to remove were the beauty cover and the large intake? hose near the back of the bay. I was able to slip my hand and take the clip holding the sensor out. Pulled the sensor off of the harness? New o-ring, new sensor and new clip in! That U-clip was a bitch to get back into the grooves, but it's do-able.

Sorry for the long post, but my wife doesn't understand...

On another note, I thought Audi extended the ECT sensor to 10yr/100k miles? Anybody know if it's VIN specific?

:S8:

4everRS
March 27th, 2012, 03:38
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/232ab778.jpg

FacePalm
March 27th, 2012, 05:21
Thanks 4ever!

Chung
March 27th, 2012, 05:43
You have come to the place of understanding. Nothing is actually that easy to do on an Audi in my opinion (I am also very inexperienced).

FacePalm
March 27th, 2012, 05:49
I'm definitely not mechanically inclined. Felt awesome when I started her up and the MIL was gone!

hahnmgh63
March 27th, 2012, 10:20
Is it the green colored sensor? If so then it is the same as most other Audi's & VW's and they are prone to failure.

FacePalm
March 27th, 2012, 19:01
Is it the green colored sensor? If so then it is the same as most other Audi's & VW's and they are prone to failure.

That's the one. From looking online, I thought Audi may have extended the warranty but couldn't find exactly which cars were covered.

hahnmgh63
March 27th, 2012, 20:43
Yea, those sensors fit just about every Audi & VW out there. My RS6, tt, my daughter's A4..... They originally had a Black top up until around 2001 then the supposedly improved Green top was suppose to be the way to go for all of the Black top failures but it seems the Green top ones fail almost as much.