PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this 5HP24A ??

March 27th, 2012, 00:37
Finally got my spare transmission cause mine slips in 1st-4th when it's hot (suspect the A clutch). Bought this with a lot of help from the everyone here but it supposedly slips too. Doohhh:doh: Do I:

A ) rebuild it myself which my wife strongly recommends against or

B) Take it to the only guy in Salt Lake that I know can rebuild a 5HP24A?

The obvious answer is

C) Should have had it shipped to Tozo and had it done, but that ship has sailed...

4everRS
March 27th, 2012, 00:46
C) Swim to the ship

March 27th, 2012, 01:12
I'm thinking swimming to the ship with this tied to my waist would solve most of my problems...

TozoM8
March 27th, 2012, 01:13
I would rebuild it for $3K and I have a guy who would ship it for $400 both ways.

March 27th, 2012, 01:28
Well I know if I try it my head will explode...then my wife will leave...

ben916
March 27th, 2012, 02:15
I would rebuild it for $3K and I have a guy who would ship it for $400 both ways.

This^^^12345

lswing
March 27th, 2012, 05:03
Nice gravel...find somebody that can rebuild with stronger clutch packs...

kday
March 27th, 2012, 17:24
Sounds like a good DIY project to me. Just don't do it on the kitchen table :)

Aronis
March 27th, 2012, 18:13
Ship to Tozo for rebuild with parts used to beef it up.

Ship it to my garage for storage.... LOL.....spare is nice.....

The picture of the transmission in your front loader is PRICELESS!

How much did you pay to get a new one??

Mike

mrdave
March 27th, 2012, 19:24
What about a manual swap?

March 28th, 2012, 01:06
These suckers are heavy! No problem for the Kubota though. Thinking I really don't need my engine hoist now :) This thing supposedly came out of an RS in New York for a manual swap because it was slipping? Any one recognize it?? Any one heard of Sonnax and their bore out of the pressure regulating valve to increase the line pressure of this piece?

http://www.sonnax.com/system/instructions/139740-01K-IN.pdf

If that doesn't work, any one know a good witch doctor?

hahnmgh63
March 28th, 2012, 01:43
Sonnax is know in the Cayenne world as making an improved Valve body for the early Cayenne's. They have a Japanese transmission made by Aisin, the manufacturer of the RNS-E Nav unit funny enough.

4everRS
March 28th, 2012, 02:07
Sonnax is know in the Cayenne world as making an improved Valve body for the early Cayenne's. They have a Japanese transmission made by Aisin, the manufacturer of the RNS-E Nav unit funny enough.

Never heard of this. Who wants to test it out?

March 28th, 2012, 02:16
Got a line out, if I think this might get it to work for 10k more miles, I'll do it.

4everRS
March 28th, 2012, 03:29
Got a line out, if I think this might get it to work for 10k more miles, I'll do it.

What does this do?

March 28th, 2012, 04:10
So far as I know it bumps up the line pressure in the trans. There is only one (as far as I know but I'm so a nubie) valve that controls the line pressure to all of the clutches in the tranny. I have read on other forums (Bimmer/RR/BMW cause they all use our same tranny in varying configs) that the degradation of this valve will cause loss of line pressure to the clutch packs and cause slip. I'm grasping at straws to try to keep from pulling my trans at this point. I'm assuming there is some validation to this or Sonnax would not have created this valve, but I don't know.

hahnmgh63
March 28th, 2012, 17:54
http://revmaxconverters.com/about/shop/5hp24a-oem-valve-body

March 29th, 2012, 00:52
Gee I wonder why it was slipping. Unless it was done during shipping which is possible. Pan is crushed, but how much?

Depth of pan at the filter pickup, about 2 5/8"

Filter pickup depth measured from the pan mount. The blocks I used at the pan mount were 2 3/4" deep.

Looks like about 1/8" gap, so how much fluid was going in the trans? I believe this is why Tozo recommends cutting 1/2" off the filter. Now the $64000 question, is this why the trans was slipping or was it damaged in shipping? Not sure I have the guts to put it in without opening it up. Valve body and guts look real clean. Ideas?

TozoM8
March 29th, 2012, 03:14
If you look close, you will see the dark ring caused by the fluid flow when the filter is too close. If yours was slipping because of this your clutches are glazed already.

http://audipages.com/tozo/DSC03676.JPG

March 29th, 2012, 03:21
I see the ring for sure. I have no history on the trans so I don't know. Mine didn't have that, but the filter was obviously just changed. What happens when the clutches glaze? I'm guessing no sticky no matter what the pressure because of the heat generated.

TozoM8
March 29th, 2012, 03:25
Automatic trans clutch works for 100K+ or until it slips.

March 29th, 2012, 03:31
That's what I am thinking, 100k or 10 years. Well, at least some of the damage was figured into the price. I am really enjoying learning about these things, even though sometimes they can be frustrating.

mik15
March 29th, 2012, 04:57
regarding cutting the filter, i have just changed the ATF and oil filter for the gearbox but didn't cut it, is this necessary even when replacing the filter with the original one for the RS6 or only when using another one from a regular A6 C5? I've used all OEM parts from Audi, i didn't hear any winning and the difference can be really sensed after the change....i also have the TC error code, sometimes it goes away, other times comes back, the gearbox seems to be working just fine, no slipping or other issues, or maybe i don't notice it, either way my plan is to drive it until the gearbox completely fails and i will replace the whole thing because the way i see it if the TC is bad, and could be for a while now, some debris might get into the ATF( though when i flushed it it looked quite ok considering the car has almost 75k and never been changed and also the magnets were as expected, no debris or big chunks found in the oil) which ruins in the end the VB and the clutches, so even if i would replace the TC later on the other parts might fail and get in the same situation again, so better saving money for a new gearbox and that's it!

March 29th, 2012, 05:09
As far as I can tell you don't need to cut it as long as you keep the factory pan depth. Skank the nose on a speed bump or any of the other numerous road hazards around and next thing you know you wonder why your tranny doesn't shift. Your local shop that doesn't know tells you you need to drop a couple of house payments on a new tranny

TC code is a whole different animal, haven't had that yet.

mik15
March 29th, 2012, 08:50
so your GB is slipping but no issues with the TC? that's weird....i was under the impression that initially the TC goes bad, than because of the debris from its clutches the VB fails and so on....

March 29th, 2012, 14:07
I've never had the TC failure code. I'm sure there are a couple of dozen ways this trans fails but so far I've come across TC failure, A clutch failure, valve body main pressure regulator failure, and pan damage pushing it into the filter. Mine slips when hot but not when cold.