PDA

View Full Version : Indicators for when DRC needs recharging?

alrightroad
March 26th, 2012, 03:39
So my beast arrived yesterday on the truck. Gave her a good bath and wax today. So glad it is finally here. 9 days is a long time to wait.

DRC campaign was done. I have that confirmed. No knocks/clunks. But, I noticed it is a little bouncy. Noticable when driving and noticable when coming to a full stop (and it will bounce lightly). Also, if I sit in the car with trans in Park and I move my torso side the side pretty hard in my seat and then stop, the car keeps bouncing a good 4-5 times after. Now, granted I have only driven one other RS6 and I am used to my allroad suspension (which you know is very different than this). The car handles well... much better than my allroad...but, just not sure if this is full potential of DRC and if it needs a recharge. Maybe it's down at 5 psi or something too low.

Thoughts? Is this normal? I might whip up that pressure charger/tester someone posted a few weeks ago in the thread about the DIY recharging DRC.

TIA

kismetcapitan
March 26th, 2012, 05:06
it seems to me, although I'm not the best informed person either, that the DRC isn't working properly. When I got my car last August, bouncy is not a word I would have ever used to describe my suspension (which was stock). However, it developed this odd squishing sound when I'd hit a bump or dip on the highway, and at this point, the car is definitely softer than when I got it, with a lot more body roll. I've never noticed any oil leaking - I have a sneaking suspicion that one or more struts have blown an internal seal that gives way when under hard compression.

I priced out a DRC service....and ordered Koni shocks instead. The swap will be done in a week or so when my car can fit into the mechanic's schedule.

kilian tuning
March 26th, 2012, 07:59
it seems to me, although I'm not the best informed person either, that the DRC isn't working properly. When I got my car last August, bouncy is not a word I would have ever used to describe my suspension (which was stock). However, it developed this odd squishing sound when I'd hit a bump or dip on the highway, and at this point, the car is definitely softer than when I got it, with a lot more body roll. I've never noticed any oil leaking - I have a sneaking suspicion that one or more struts have blown an internal seal that gives way when under hard compression.

I priced out a DRC service....and ordered Koni shocks instead. The swap will be done in a week or so when my car can fit into the mechanic's schedule.

Which konis are you buying? any specs/link to the konis?:)
Are they height/rebound adjustable?

4.2Crew
March 26th, 2012, 11:38
Which konis are you buying? any specs/link to the konis?:)
Are they height/rebound adjustable?

Search the forum for DRC swap to Koni sports.... Very recent thread with all the info you'll need.

hahnmgh63
March 26th, 2012, 16:42
I think the DRC needs replace about the time the car rolled out of the factory :)

lswing
March 26th, 2012, 16:48
What he said....recharge = replace....waiting on my Koni's to go in still, might be a while as we're just sorting the last of the engine parts.

ben916
March 26th, 2012, 16:54
So my beast arrived yesterday on the truck. Gave her a good bath and wax today. So glad it is finally here. 9 days is a long time to wait.

DRC campaign was done. I have that confirmed. No knocks/clunks. But, I noticed it is a little bouncy. Noticable when driving and noticable when coming to a full stop (and it will bounce lightly). Also, if I sit in the car with trans in Park and I move my torso side the side pretty hard in my seat and then stop, the car keeps bouncing a good 4-5 times after. Now, granted I have only driven one other RS6 and I am used to my allroad suspension (which you know is very different than this). The car handles well... much better than my allroad...but, just not sure if this is full potential of DRC and if it needs a recharge. Maybe it's down at 5 psi or something too low.

Thoughts? Is this normal? I might whip up that pressure charger/tester someone posted a few weeks ago in the thread about the DIY recharging DRC.

TIA

You might have the system repressurized, but before that, you DO have an aftermarket warranty?

My symptoms:
When I initially got the car, it was rock solid, no noises, no leaning, no bouncing backing out of a driveway, nothing.
Then about 2 months into ownership, the front left would make odd clunking randomly on smooth pavement or on tiny seams in the road.
I replaced the PS2's with Hankooks and noticed that the road noise was increased as was the clunking - I am assuming that the PS2's soaked up a lot of impacts.
While the techs were changing the tire, I notices weeping at the top of the shock on the right front.
I also started to notice that while backing out of the driveway, the front of the car would bounce about 2-3 times.
I had Matt at RavenMS drive the car and he stated that with the current state of the DRC, it was scary at 80mph.
I then took it to Hoehn Audi to do the pressure check as I was frustrated with the noises and system in general.

I just had mine repressurized (4hr @ $139/hr). For me, it was either repressurize or have Audi document that components have failed and then go "other routes" via aftermarket warranty.
The procedure that I was told would happen:
1. tilt the exhaust down.
2. drain the accumulators(start with one side or the other)
3. refill the special mystery oil
4. use the special Audi tool to pump up to 20 bar
5. wait 30 minutes and recheck pressure level
6. if under 15 bar, that portion of system is shot = replace
7. repeat for other side.

I got the car back the next day and noticed immediately that the suspension seemed to be even higher than when I dropped off the car (4 fingers versus 3 fingers) = more rake in the rear.
The tech stated "it will settle" - ok sure.

There are no noises, no odd bouncing, no leaning, and it seems to be decent but not crisp like a coilover system.
It has settled down some but not to the pre-pressure check levels as far as height.

I am wondering how long this will last - 6 months? 12 months?

Good luck, Eric.... this is just one of the pain in the ass systems on this car... transmission is the other...

alrightroad
March 26th, 2012, 18:33
Thanks, Ben. Good feedback. And, yes, I do have aftermarket warranty. I just took it over to the dealership to have the SM check it out. He is also a certified RS6 tech but has not touched many since he got the cert. Anyway, he felt the bounce and said it wasnt that bad... but then again he has only worked on a handful of RS6's over the last 6 years. They have the recharging pump assembly, etc. and can do it. I asked him for a quote. It's worth a shot to have them do the recharge to see if this helps. I will get the car up in the air with wheels off this weekend and look for leaks in the system. I suspect that the length of time before recharge is needed is dependent upon the number and severity of leaks.

It would be nice DIY if someone could retrofit an in-line gauge indicator for both sides of the DRC system. It should been a sensor Audi added at factory when new just like brake fluid indicator>> One could argue this is a safety issue and Audi should done this. But, alas, we all know this system is engineer well, just not built with reliable components.

The suspension feels good and 80Mph is generally stable. I also am still running on Conti Extreme Contacts which were on the car when I bought it. These sidewalls are pretty soft and bouncy just using the preverbial 'kicking the tire' check (car bounces side to side a tiny bit if you push hard on sidewall with foot). Only problem is they are brand new so I am having a hard time talking myself in to going out and buying new preformance tires. I'm sure I'll talk myself into it soon. ha ha. Going to go ahead and locate H-sports while I am reviewing suspension tuning/correction.

Elevens
March 26th, 2012, 18:55
There is no fixin the Dreaded DRC. Waist of time and if not under warranty, money. Martin over at Unit 20 in England had trouble with his brand new C6 RS6 DRC system. I don't know why Audi Continues to use this Unreliable system. As soon as I got my C5 I replaced my DRC with H&R Coilovers, even though there was nothing wrong with my system. But I knew they were doomed for failure and I didn't wait for them to fail. And besides I like my car sitting low and the DRC system sits way to high for me. So I wouldn't waist my time Repairing the System, when you get a chance simply replace the entire thing with a good set of Coilovers and be done away with it. I have been running H&R's from day one on my 2.7T A6 for 7 years and now my RS for 2 years with never an issue with them. Good ride, Good Handling and perfect stance. Just my opinion.............................