PDA

View Full Version : Trick to reattaching transmission shift cable??

SFJ_RS6
March 25th, 2012, 00:56
Can the transmission bowden cable be reattached to the shift ball on the transmission with the engine and transmission in the car? I got the engine bolted in today, but can't get the shift cable reattached. Might be my big man-hands in tight quarters, I suppose. :) Anybody have any tips or tricks?

I may have to loosen the transmission mount and subframe bolts to lower the transmission some to get more clearance. Wish I'd have thought ahead to this as I was raising the engine into position!

Thanks,
Steve

hahnmgh63
March 25th, 2012, 01:05
I don't have a trick but I was able to do it on my car. Do try to put the cable in place over the ball and use a long screwdriver or flat metal bar to leverage against it to force it to pop on the ball. There definitely isn't enough room there to get your hands on it to force it on.

SFJ_RS6
March 25th, 2012, 01:48
Thanks Mark. It's a help to know that you were able to do it. I had tried with a long screwdriver without success, but I'll work with it some more now. My backup will be to lower the engine and transmission some, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Steve

TTurboguy
March 25th, 2012, 22:46
They make long needle nose plier's for removing hoses. There are a few sizes. The one for a 1/2 inch hose should work well. Position the cable over the ball stud and squeeze with the plier's.

SFJ_RS6
March 26th, 2012, 19:00
I ended going with Plan B - lowering the engine/transmission to make more clearance. Even at that it was tight working quarters, but I finally managed using a long-ish flat 1/8" x 1" steel bar to lever the cable cup end back onto the ball. I also put a little grease in the cup end so it would go onto the ball a little easier.

My lesson learned here for next time (if there is one) is to reattach the cable while initially lifting the engine into place.

Steve