PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2011 RNS-E PNP Setup

Tom Sawyer
March 25th, 2012, 00:39
In preparing for either doing my TC and 75K or a calling uncle, I've decided to part with my 2011 RNS-E setup.

Unit is a gem, purchased from Zawa, works beautifully in the RS. PNP harness is Bose of course, bose wire in the proper spot.

I also have 2 32gb SD cards that I would be willing to include with the package. Unit is coded for Line In.

$1400 shipped with the two 32gb cards, $1350 without. Will include radio keys, manual with code and a burned 2011 map DVD.

Also should have a working Sirius module Monday.

hahnmgh63
March 25th, 2012, 01:06
Wish I would have known a couple of weeks ago. I just sold my old one and ordered a new one from Zawa.

mrmister
March 25th, 2012, 07:29
I will take it. PM sent.

Tom Sawyer
March 25th, 2012, 12:57
So far Ben is first in line on this... will post updates on the status here.

04rs6cdn
March 26th, 2012, 04:49
I will take it if Ben doesnt>>>thx

zawa
March 27th, 2012, 17:23
http://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/msgs/21083.phtml

Aronis
March 27th, 2012, 18:15
Zawa, I want one. I'll check your link....

Mike

Aronis
March 27th, 2012, 18:16
I've been to that site....

You still putting together a "group buy"

How much?

Mike

zawa
March 27th, 2012, 18:25
Aronis, pm sent, contact me via provided e-m-a-i-l

Tom Sawyer
March 27th, 2012, 19:30
Anyone who buys from Zawa will be beyond thrilled with the transaction. Pains me to have to part with this luxury as it's awesome, but can certainly do without it for the time being. When it comes down to it, compared to what I could buy for the same money... can't do without the RS! So no uncle here! :lovl:

NSU RS6
March 27th, 2012, 21:35
Anyone who buys from Zawa will be beyond thrilled with the transaction. Pains me to have to part with this luxury as it's awesome, but can certainly do without it for the time being. When it comes down to it, compared to what I could buy for the same money... can't do without the RS! So no uncle here! :lovl:

I will second this. The prompt shipping, the service, the product from zawa are just awesome. The price might be $$$ for some, but if you have ever heard "you get what you pay for" it absolutely applies here. I ordered my RNS-E with the matte black screen surround and black knobs. Looks absolutely stock, and perfectly in sync with everything else in the center panel. That was important to me. Further, the installation was relatively painless; I accidently mounted the GPS antenna upside down, and I relocated the Bose input pin as Tom Sawyer mentions above. Aside from that, my 15 year old daughter could have made the install.

Having 60+ GB of music in easy to read menus......unbelievable.

The viewing quality of the screen makes the one in my wife's Lexus look ancient.

The best surprise? The tuner section of this unit makes the Symphony II sound like old Radio Shack crap. We have a great alternative station up here that I listen to alot, and now it sounds wonderful.

This is just one of the best things I have bought in a long time.

Except for a certain RS6.......

Hang in there Tom Sawyer - the good thing is that there are ways to fix TC's and DRC's PERMANENTLY!

Tom Sawyer
March 28th, 2012, 20:18
Quick update: The setup is sold and on it's way. Ben, hope you enjoy! I miss it already, hopefully a TC that locks in tight will bring me a different kind of joy! ;-)

I wonder if my RS will feel faster with the TC operating properly? Because you know, I've had it 3 months now and it doesn't feel nearly as quick as when I bought it. Ok, that's not really true but still... :-)

ben916
March 28th, 2012, 20:20
I am gonna DEFINITELY need it in a few weeks ;)

mrmister
March 28th, 2012, 20:23
Best of luck with the new TC. I just got the call an hour ago that the dealership is going to replace my TC under warranty! Feeling pretty good about that.

Tom Sawyer
March 28th, 2012, 20:37
Best of luck with the new TC. I just got the call an hour ago that the dealership is going to replace my TC under warranty! Feeling pretty good about that.

Ah, having it taken care of under warranty is enviable!! Will they be using an Audi stock part or will you be able to have them put a beefed up ACE unit in?

mrmister
March 29th, 2012, 03:24
I talked to them about the ACE unit. It may have been possible, but would have been difficult. The original unit lasted me 105k miles and I hear Audi beefed them up a little bit so I am not too worried.

Tom Sawyer
March 29th, 2012, 17:36
I talked to them about the ACE unit. It may have been possible, but would have been difficult. The original unit lasted me 105k miles and I hear Audi beefed them up a little bit so I am not too worried.

I wouldn't be either, have heard the same. Plus the fact that your getting it done under warranty... it's all good. Any idea if they will drop the whole engine or just pull the trans? Curious as my local indy shop is looking at just the transmission pull for my TC replacement but I've read that can be as much or more of a pain to do that the whole engine.

Jimmy
March 29th, 2012, 18:03

Did you find more A6 face plates Adam?

ttboost
March 29th, 2012, 18:31
I wouldn't be either, have heard the same. Plus the fact that your getting it done under warranty... it's all good. Any idea if they will drop the whole engine or just pull the trans? Curious as my local indy shop is looking at just the transmission pull for my TC replacement but I've read that can be as much or more of a pain to do that the whole engine.

Not much more time to drop engine AND trans together. Better option to, as you can now check everything else out while it's all out...

ben916
July 2nd, 2012, 20:05
Thanks to Kevin (Tom Sawyer) for the unit!
HUGE thanks to Mark (Hahnmgh63) for the space and time to do the install!

The most challenging thing to do was deal with the fooking carpeting.
Since I had factory Nav, Mark suggested to remove the Onstar battery pack, mounting bracket, and OnStar module and use the sharkfin antenna connection (unwound from the wiring harness) and plugged into the RNS-E.
We also removed the OEM trunk mounted CD Navigation player...

Now to figure out the proper file format/directory format for the MP3 files on the SD cards...

zawa
July 2nd, 2012, 20:10
Congrats man. glad it worked out for you.

format is mp3 and you can create folders/subfolders like in windows.

You can also create playlist with this free tool

http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

Hey post some pics !

zawa

Thanks to Kevin (Tom Sawyer) for the unit!
HUGE thanks to Mark (Hahnmgh63) for the space and time to do the install!

The most challenging thing to do was deal with the fooking carpeting.
Since I had factory Nav, Mark suggested to remove the Onstar battery pack, mounting bracket, and OnStar module and use the sharkfin antenna connection (unwound from the wiring harness) and plugged into the RNS-E.
We also removed the OEM trunk mounted CD Navigation player...

Now to figure out the proper file format/directory format for the MP3 files on the SD cards...

zawa
July 2nd, 2012, 20:13
If anybody else is looking for the same RNS-E setup, OEM BT-kits, SAT modules, 11/12 OEM disc...replacement parts. I am here :-)
pm or email please

ben916
July 2nd, 2012, 20:19
If anybody else is looking for the same RNS-E setup, OEM BT-kits, SAT modules, 11/12 OEM disc...replacement parts. I am here :-)
pm or email please

BT is next, do I need a new harness? (currently 2 black/1 Red into 1 large Black connector to the unit)
If you remember, I purchased Tom Sawyers RNS-E unit so you have history of what he purchased.

zawa
July 2nd, 2012, 20:24
BT sets come complete with harness, mic, antenna, instructions. For c5 platform you need to mod BT harness as it does not fit well behind RNS-E in c5. I provide instructions for that as well. You will also need to re-code RNS-E. I would have to check what Tom had it coded for. Let me know if interested.

A

BT is next, do I need a new harness? (currently 2 black/1 Red into 1 large Black connector to the unit)
If you remember, I purchased Tom Sawyers RNS-E unit so you have history of what he purchased.

bmwade
July 2nd, 2012, 22:53
pm or email please

I'll be wanting one soon! What's the price for the setup?

zawa
July 3rd, 2012, 03:45
email me.

I'll be wanting one soon! What's the price for the setup?

Tom Sawyer
July 3rd, 2012, 12:17
Ben, glad to hear you got it installed and up and running. The thing is SWEET isn't it? I miss it every day, glad she went to a good home! :) MP3's are your friend and the playlist generator zawa referenced is great. FWIW, if you're a mac user you'll want to pop the SD card in a PC to remove all the .DS_Store (and other Mac hidden folders and .xxx metafile/tag files). The RNS-E is not fond of them.

The carpet is SUCH a PITA. Didn't encounter that in my RNS-E install but did when I pulled the onstar module for the costar bluetooth mod. I wasn't aware there was a battery pack for the onstar module, where is that?

zawa
July 3rd, 2012, 13:44
How is life? If you feel, you cant live w/o RNS-E just email me :-)

Regards

A

s42ski
July 3rd, 2012, 14:03

zawa - what are next steps to order one?

zawa
July 3rd, 2012, 14:06
Pm me and I will send you my email or if you are on QW, email me directly.

A

ben916
July 3rd, 2012, 15:19
Ben, glad to hear you got it installed and up and running. The thing is SWEET isn't it? I miss it every day, glad she went to a good home! :) MP3's are your friend and the playlist generator zawa referenced is great. FWIW, if you're a mac user you'll want to pop the SD card in a PC to remove all the .DS_Store (and other Mac hidden folders and .xxx metafile/tag files). The RNS-E is not fond of them.

The carpet is SUCH a PITA. Didn't encounter that in my RNS-E install but did when I pulled the onstar module for the costar bluetooth mod. I wasn't aware there was a battery pack for the onstar module, where is that?

The .DS_Store files are what I am referring to, so I will just delete them, yes I am on a Mac.

The battery pack is under the OnStar mounting bracket in a black foam case that opens like an envelope and the lithium ion battery is in it. I can take a photo(s) of all that crap...

ben916
July 3rd, 2012, 21:59
ok, so I just viewed the files on the SD card and I don't see the .DS_Store file or an extension or anything.
Oddly, all the .MP3 files are either read only or archived...
I reset them all to remove the read only and the archived setting...

Tom Sawyer
July 4th, 2012, 01:03
ok, so I just viewed the files on the SD card and I don't see the .DS_Store file or an extension or anything.
Oddly, all the .MP3 files are either read only or archived...
I reset them all to remove the read only and the archived setting...

If it's on a PC then you'll probably need to set explorer to show all files and extension (not hide system files etc).

If on a Mac, Finder will not show the files. If you are comfortable running unix commands, you can bring up a shell window and an ls -la will show you the offending . files:

RS6:Work kevin$ ls -la
total 48
drwxrwxr-x 29 root admin 1054 Feb 14 19:47 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin 204 Jul 1 14:48 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 kevin admin 21508 Jul 1 14:48 .DS_Store
d--x--x--x 6 root wheel 204 Jun 18 19:57 .DocumentRevisions-V100
drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root admin 102 Feb 4 15:46 .MobileBackups
drwx------ 5 root admin 170 Dec 6 2011 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwt@ 3 kevin admin 102 Dec 29 2011 .TemporaryItems
d-wx-wx-wt 3 root staff 102 Jun 18 19:57 .Trashes
drwx------ 17 root admin 578 Jun 18 19:56 .fseventsd
drwxrwxr-x 8 kevin admin 272 Dec 25 2011 App Data
drwxrwxr-x 12 kevin admin 408 Jan 8 16:13 Backup

Kill them using rm, etc.... And um... be careful with rm -Rf .... :-)

Another option is this nifty app:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40833/ds_store-cleaner

By and large, if a PC is handy it's the easiest option, just need to set windows explorer to show all files.... hope that helps some!

Tom Sawyer
July 4th, 2012, 01:06
How is life? If you feel, you cant live w/o RNS-E just email me :-)

Regards

A

Things are going well! I definitely shall, still recoup'ing from the 75k/TC but once my toy funds are replentished I'll probably go for another. Of course, by that time, some other shiny thing may have caught my eye... :hihi:

Hope you're doing well these days!