PDA

View Full Version : Got some info from VMR. Couple questions for wheel guys....

BuffaloRS6
March 20th, 2012, 00:34
So VMR only makes the 19" x 9.5" 5x112 wheel in a et45 offset. I'd have to run DRA 28mm bolt up spacers. My question is what are the downsides to running such a large spacer even though it's of the bolt up style? I'm anxious to get these wheels ordered and on the car. It's been in the 70's here in Buffalo for the better part of 2 weeks! If this is global warming, sign me up. Haha! Thanks in advance guys.

Mr. Rictus
March 20th, 2012, 12:32
Some will say that spacers cause extra wear and tear on the wheel bearings.

I've run spacers on my GTI almost all of its 175,000 miles and I've had spacers on my S6 for the better part of 25,000 miles. My wheel bearing are doing just fine.

Bolt up spacers are even better than bolt-through spacers so you shouldn't have any issues with vibration.

slowguy
March 20th, 2012, 15:27
Rare that I can offer something helpful on this board, but buy bolt-on, and don't worry about the bearings. I ran 1.5" bolt-on spacers for years on the front of a truck with 35x12.5R16 tires, low speed on the rocks, high speed in the desert. Just make sure you torque to spec, re-torque in a day, then a couple days, then a week, then a couple weeks...you get the idea.

It will affect the Ackerman angle. My suggestion is spacers are cheap, pick them up, try them with the wheels you have. If it changes the handling in turns to the point you're uncomfortable, you're only out a few bucks when you resell the spacers.

Elevens
March 20th, 2012, 18:10
The stock Offset I believe is 30mm, an et of 45 will push your wheels in 15mm and a 28mm spacer will push your wheel out 28mm for an overall move of 13mm out(28-15). A 13mm increase in the distance of the wheel mounting point, I would say has very little effect if any of the overall suspension integrity. I have been running 25mm spacer on my allroad for years with no issues. And I currently run 5mm spacer on the RS with no issues. So I think your good to go. My only concern would be, will they fit under your fenders being pushed out 13mm.......................

slowguy
March 20th, 2012, 18:14
Elevens, how close are those 275mm tires to hitting your car's fenders?

bmlee007
March 20th, 2012, 22:06
My car came with some RS4 reps on 20mm spacers. The look is perfect, but under hard braking in the corners I get some tire rub on the inner fender liner. I'm looking at the VMR 710 19x8.5 ET 35 for the summer, hoping to get rid of the spacers and get closer to stock setup.

Elevens
March 21st, 2012, 00:19
Elevens, how close are those 275mm tires to hitting your car's fenders?

Their Pretty close slowguy. I had to remove the outermost fender liner Screw to prevent any rubbing. But then again my car is sitting pretty low for that very aggressive look. Whenever I pass by the Audi dealership their always amazed at how well I got everything to fit with no rubbing issues.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010535A.jpg