PDA

View Full Version : Reversing the tip shifting..

Hy Octane
March 16th, 2012, 17:23
I cant fathom why Audi would decide to have our gear display backwards but I guess they screwed up and decided it was too expensive to correct?

That I can accept I guess. But, does anyone else find the idea of pushing the shifter forwards to change up to the next gear and pulling back to downshift counter intuitive?

Seems to me your body is being pushed back into the seat under acceleration so wouldnt it be more logical to be pulling back on the shifter to upshift and as you are braking and your body mass moves forward, you would naturally be pushing the shifter forward to downshift?

I have never been sold on this arrangement and wonder if it is possible to reverse this so upshifts happen when you pull back on the shifter and downshifts when you push forward? I remember watching the F1 and Indycars with sequential shifters and thats how they did it.. Anyone have any input?

Thanx..
HY

lswing
March 16th, 2012, 17:45
Ha, interesting thought. Makes me think I always like the 1st to 2nd shift a hell of a lot more than the 2nd to 3rd on my manual WRX. But going forward to move up a gear makes sense, maybe more on paper though...

Brav
March 16th, 2012, 18:14
I tend to agree with the idea.. my M6 was that way. The 1-2 shift is more natural pulling back.

ttboost
March 16th, 2012, 18:19
I just use the paddles, they are oriented correctly...and your hands are already there...sort of...

kday
March 16th, 2012, 20:00
I was looking through the wiring diagrams for the transmission a while back and did note that there are discrete wires for tiptronic up and triptronic down. I imagine it would be pretty simple to swap them. If I remember right these signals go through the blue connectors in the passenger kick panel so you could probably just swap the pins.

Aronis
March 16th, 2012, 20:25
125,000 miles, I kind of got used to it the way it is...

Mike

ttboost
March 16th, 2012, 20:36
Yeah..in a year and a half of ownership, I have never used the shifter to shift...only the paddles, sometimes, but not much. Seems kinda silly to me to move a shifter and it comes right back!!! I do use 'S' mode quite a bit though...

FlyFisherAJC
March 16th, 2012, 21:36
Yeah..in a year and a half of ownership, I have never used the shifter to shift...only the paddles, sometimes, but not much. Seems kinda silly to me to move a shifter and it comes right back!!! I do use 'S' mode quite a bit though...

+1 on S mode. S mode for accelleration and paddle for downshifts.

ttboost
March 16th, 2012, 23:20
Yeah..paddles are good for keepin it in the sweet spot...good for crushing Vettes and Mustangs...poor guys...never see it coming...

4everRS
March 17th, 2012, 00:20
I also never use the stick to shift.

Paddles yes. They are really good at a track. Not fun to be mid corner and have the car shift and move all over.

Bigglezworth
March 17th, 2012, 01:45
My Buick has Lightning Rods in it and it has always been natural for me to 'slap up' on the shifter to change up a gear and pull down to downshift a gear. In fact I cannot think of a single performance shifter out there including the gate shifters that don't perform the same way. It would be totaly unordinary to have it upshift by pulling towards you in my opinion.

Jimmy Joe
March 17th, 2012, 02:47
I agree with Hy octane. I also find counterintuitive to move up the lever to shift up and having to pull to shift down, As a matter of fact, the first few times I tried to shift manually an A3, I ended up mad, making a mess out of it, until i left the car shift for itself, which it did very well, thank you. Bu back to the point, it sure would be nice to be able to reverse the action on the shifter, I hope somebody could second Kday on the procedure to have it reversed. On the other hand, all of you are right about the shift paddles, almost make the reversal pointless, but still...

ttboost
March 17th, 2012, 02:52
.....kind of like a reverse shift manual valve body?

Elevens
March 17th, 2012, 14:00
I can't see pulling back to go up a gear and vice versa. To each his own I guess, but this seems perfectly normal to me. To be very honest with you I rarely use either the Tip or the paddles, when I'm hauling ass i got no time be worrying about shifting I just slap in "S" and let her do her thing. Warp 3 Mister Sulu..........................

March 17th, 2012, 14:24
Should be as easy as swapping pins at the TCU, or on the shifter, or cut and splice in the kick panel. I'd make it easily reversible just for resale. I'm just trying to hang on at this point.

ben916
March 17th, 2012, 22:00
Ironically it "sounds" easy but then it would be something crazy like:
1. Drop Motor
2. Drop Transmission
3. Turn Transmission around (This is the key point right here)
4. Reinstall Motor/Transmission
5. Unclip +/- on transmission selector
6. Swap the +/-
7. Switch labels on transmission selector
8. Pay stealership $7k for that little beauty!

In all seriousness, I remember seeing the rally car drivers shift (back is + and forward is -) - I am looking on youtube now...

March 18th, 2012, 00:36
I think filling the tank starts with "first remove the engine". Going to come up with a set of quick disconnect hoses so I can fill the tank.

rufredbird
November 12th, 2016, 02:24
Good evening C5 RS6 fans, I am reviving this thread to see if anyone was successful in "reversing" the shift direction (upshift by pulling on the shifter and downshifting by pushing the shifter). I have been poking around and have not found a thread showing how it was done. I would like to get this mod done to keep the shifting consistent with the three BMW's that I own where i reversed the shifting direction. I am in the process of acquiring an 03 RS6 from a very good friend of mine. We are currently replacing the suspension with a PSS9 B16, and also replacing the timing belt, water pump, performing a tune up etc. The car only has 45K miles and has not been driven much in the last 5 years. Current owner has way too many toys.

Thank you in advance for all the guidance.

Bigglezworth
November 12th, 2016, 03:28
This is a no go - period. The shifter has magnets in it that work in concert with the F125 gear switch, the TCU, and the ECU. There are a number of things other than simply changing gear up or down. The Multitronic shifter also includes parking lock-out that works in concert with the brake switch sensor, the reverse lights, the back-up sensors, the ABS, etc.

Learn to live with it or purchase a different car that has it backwards and enjoy that.

rufredbird
November 13th, 2016, 05:20
Thank you for the guidance, much appreciated.

This is a no go - period. The shifter has magnets in it that work in concert with the F125 gear switch, the TCU, and the ECU. There are a number of things other than simply changing gear up or down. The Multitronic shifter also includes parking lock-out that works in concert with the brake switch sensor, the reverse lights, the back-up sensors, the ABS, etc.

Learn to live with it or purchase a different car that has it backwards and enjoy that.

Aronis
November 13th, 2016, 19:15
I have to be careful if I use the stick when I swap to my M2....it's backwards. Fortunately BMW has the plus paddle on the correct side, just like the RS6. The RS6 has it correct! :) (But the DRC still sucks LOL- I'm going to burn in hell aren't I!)