PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms- 80K miles rolled and still good

MaxRS6
March 15th, 2012, 14:25
Just thought I would share.

APR changed out all my control arms in Dec/08 on my way to an Audi track event at Daytona. Within a few weeks of the repair, I also had the DRC system ripped out and the Kw's installed.

Since that time, I have rolled 80K miles including at least 20 track days. I've had my indy shop "inspect" the front suspension a few times over the past 6 months, and have received clean bills of health. I'm not having issues- but like to have it inspected while it is in the shop, and obviously before any track events. The Kw's are also still rock solid. I am surprised at my good fortune with regards to these components as everything else has probably been changed out at least twice- LOL

Now I need to go bang my head for even mentioning this as it is bound to bite me in the arse.

lswing
March 15th, 2012, 15:03
It's interesting to hear the two sides of the "x part failed" story. I often wonder how much of it has to do with driver abuse of the car. Not all parts are made the same I suppose. Glad to hear the car is rolling strong, I hope to be in that same category!

MaxRS6
March 15th, 2012, 15:28
^Look forward to hearing about ya terrorizing the streets!

Cochese
March 15th, 2012, 19:57
What control arms were installed? I need news ones very soon.

MaxRS6
March 15th, 2012, 20:38
I'm embarrased to say- But I actually don't know as I trusted APR. I looked on my invoice but it merely describes (lower control arm, upper, tie rod, etc, etc) the parts.

This was an unplanned repair. When I hit APR's shop for their tune, I asked them to give the car a look over. They showed me the wear on several of the control arms and recommended they all be changed. Upon approval, they somehow traced down the parts and had them overnighted. The next day they worked on my car until about 9:00 p.m. (staying after hours beyond the call of duty) to get the job done. They even made a 3 hour round trip somewhere to get one part that came to them wrong in the overnight package. They stayed late as the track event started the next day. I drove overnight from APR to Daytona and arrived at Daytona around 7:00 a.m. (approx 1 hour before driver meeting). To say the least- it was a heck of way to get my feet wet for track days.

APR's hospitality and effort to get my car issues resolved made me a die hard APR fan. GO APR! You might consider giving APR a call. As far as I know, they may be OEM parts.

Cochese
March 15th, 2012, 20:40
Thank you for your reply! I had APR software on my K04 allroad. I was impressed but I'm looking at Eurocharged! and MTM this time around.

MaxRS6
March 15th, 2012, 20:43
^No prob and good luck with your repairs/tune