PDA

View Full Version : Stock ECU Programs/DRC question..

Hy Octane
March 6th, 2012, 17:02
Does anyone know if the stock ECU has a 100 octane program in it?

I am trying to find out if the car is making the best use of 100 octane gas.

Also, what does it mean when my DRC starts out hard and firm when its cold, but when it warms up after driving for awhile, the ride gets softer and less firm?
Does yours do this and if so, what do you think could cause this?

yokust
March 7th, 2012, 02:23
Stock is ecu does not have any 'tunes' or 'programs' for octane levels.

All that higher octane will do, is help prevent knock under higher loads and higher temps. And hopefully ecu will keep timing levels at max

ben916
March 7th, 2012, 02:30
Also, what does it mean when my DRC starts out hard and firm when its cold, but when it warms up after driving for awhile, the ride gets softer and less firm?
Does yours do this and if so, what do you think could cause this?

I had this happen, as have several others recently, until I had Hoehn repressurize the system. I haven't noticed the difference yet between Hot/Cold atmospheric temperatures...

When you say softer/less firm, do you mean in all aspects or do you mean cornering or bumps or straight-line driving?
I noticed all around...

kevin
March 7th, 2012, 03:11
you are wasting $$$ running 100 oct gas...

4everRS
March 8th, 2012, 03:58
you are wasting $$$ running 100 oct gas...

I am also confused as to why someone would run 100 with a stock tune? No sense in it. Also, most 100 had lead in it which will shorten the life of o2 sensors and cats.

yokust
March 8th, 2012, 04:16
100 is normally unleaded. Its the highest octane that you can buy out of pumps.

Leaded fuels are not 'legal' to pump direct into vehicles for street use.

And the only thing to be counted towards using 100 octane. Is that it will not have random mixes of ethanol in it, like most stations use in all gas. Will normally just be a higher grade of gas, not just octane. So it will make you car run better smoother, and have more power. You just are not "using" it to its full potential.

lswing
March 8th, 2012, 05:04
Ok, can't resist any longer...I think his "100" octane is from adding bnd aces (I shudder typing these words again due to inflammation)...Hy, I thought you had an adjustable tune, or am I wrong? The only way you would need more than 92/93 is with a tune...

My DRC was like that also, going the way of Koni's as we speak...

Hy Octane
March 8th, 2012, 07:23
Hey. Sorry .. yes I was referring to Aces IV taking our 91 up to 100+..
I was just wondering since in Der Fatherland, you can get higher Octane from the pump than here.. Autobahns and all that I s'pose..
However, I have never seen anything that compares the factory ECU fuel parameters from Europe to USA.. Just curious..

kevin
March 8th, 2012, 12:59
Don't get confused over US (AKI) - European (RON) octane ratings.

WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating)