PDA

View Full Version : 35K service overdue

alrightroad
March 5th, 2012, 03:24
One of the RS6's I'm looking at purchasing has 41k miles. Current owner has not and will not get the 35K service done. Of course this is a bargaining point I have used. Question is how long can it be safely driven before doing the service. If I buy I will fly out of state, pick it up and drive home. About 750 miles. Too risky for road trip?

kevin
March 5th, 2012, 03:49
you'll be fine going over a tad on mileage.... it isn't like parts are just going to explode every 35k

alrightroad
March 5th, 2012, 12:19
you'll be fine going over a tad on mileage.... it isn't like parts are just going to explode every 35k

Ha ha. Of course. Thanks.

kilian tuning
March 5th, 2012, 12:24
well the cambelt has to be done at 60.000 km...

alrightroad
March 5th, 2012, 13:14
well the cambelt has to be done at 60.000 km...
Right. That is my concern... the belt. Rollers, t-stat, water pump, etc should all be fine going over the 35K mile service mark. The car has a REVO tune as well so a bit further stressed than normal.

mik15
March 5th, 2012, 14:01
i would say you should be fine, i still have the old parts after doing the 75k service at 70k, and i saw no sign of any surprise failure, i am sure you can drive the car back home, just don't push it very hard...

kilian tuning
March 5th, 2012, 14:09
so youre saying youre still on the original (first...) belt and stuff?

mik15
March 5th, 2012, 14:27
after doing the 75k miles service at 70k miles, i kept the old parts as they gave it back to me after replacing it with the new ones, and didn't see any cracks on the belt or any other visible signs that might've caused a failure in the near future...

kilian tuning
March 5th, 2012, 14:33
so at 70 k miles you got your first belt change...?

alrightroad
March 5th, 2012, 15:59
so youre saying youre still on the original (first...) belt and stuff?

Yes. Original belt/rollers/tensioner. Not my car (yet).

alrightroad
March 5th, 2012, 15:59
Yes. Original belt/rollers/tensioner. Not my car (yet).

Oops. I just realized you were replying to mik15

lswing
March 5th, 2012, 16:06
My understanding has been that once you get past 30k your timing belt is a greater risk. Some have changed at more than that and said the belt has been fine. I've heard that if it does break you could be looking at a massive bill for the engine. I don't think I would want take the chance personally. Although maybe if you drive it with caution you could be ready for it to break? How are you supposed to get a good test drive on the car if the owner won't maintain it properly? Good luck though...

mik15
March 5th, 2012, 16:40
Audi recommends for all RS and S models 35k intervals for timing belt, but this is only because these cars are meant to be driven harder than the regular ones, the regular interval is 75k as far as i know and also confirmed by Audi, but then again you can run hard on a regular A6 4.2 or 2.7T and drive moderate with an RS6, i am sure they haven't used some special recipe to make the belts for the RS or S models, they're just the same as the regular ones, my point is that in the end it all comes down to how each owner drives the car, i am sure that the belt won't snap once it has passed 35k or any other part of the timing kit...on the other hand lswing has a good point regarding the owner you wanna buy the car from...if he hasn't performed yet the 35k service and the car is already 41k that raises a few questions and doubts on the way he maintained that car so far...

Brav
March 5th, 2012, 21:25
I really think 35k is premature for a T-belt. Age probably has more to do with wear than a daily-driven RS, as they will become more brittle over time to environment exposure. If you have the original, nearly 10 year old T-belt in that car, I would change it right away when you get back. Failure in your return is highly unlikely, but its still a risk.