PDA

View Full Version : Apikol intercooler install question

kevin
March 3rd, 2012, 13:58
A few of you have installed these on your car. I'm in the process but was wondering how many of you installed the duct work BEHIND the intercooler? I did a search and found nothing pertaining to this issue. I'm sure it can be done but it looks like some trimming of the plastic will be in order.

Thanks!

toddc
March 3rd, 2012, 16:06
I couldn't determine a good way to retain it and have a solid mounting, so I left them out...plus I removed the auxiliary radiators at the same time.

-Todd

kday
March 3rd, 2012, 16:13
What is different about the Apikols? Are they thicker?

FWIW I removed the aux rads but retained the ducts.

Here is a pic of the stock IC w/ shroud if it's useful (I patched up the holes from the hoses):

http://blog.ultrameta.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DSCF0020-1024x679.jpg

toddc
March 3rd, 2012, 16:41
Yeah, the Apikols are the same thickness as the stock end tanks, which they reuse. So, about an inch thicker than the stock core, IIRC.

-Todd

kevin
March 3rd, 2012, 22:10
Decided to retire the post intercooler plastic!

4everRS
March 3rd, 2012, 22:38
Decided to retire the post intercooler plastic!

What is it intended for? Protecting what?

kevin
March 3rd, 2012, 22:45
looks like it was intended to direct the air passing through the ic's to dump into the front wheelhouse.

hahnmgh63
March 4th, 2012, 07:06
Yea, front ducting has a decent function, actually pretty important. Rear ducting not so, especially if you've removed the Aux radiators which are the bigger heat source.

kday
March 4th, 2012, 15:10
I think it's hard to say for sure without actually measuring the relative air pressures in the intercooler path while under way. My assumption (and the reason I patched up the holes in the ducts when I removed the aux rads) is that the ambient pressure in the engine bay is higher than in the wheel well and especially under the belly pan. If that's true, then removing the ducts will reduce the amount of air moving through the ICs, which is determined by the pressure differential across them. The lower the pressure on the exit side the better.

Brav
March 5th, 2012, 21:30
I will say, that in general, the air flow behind the source is fairly important. Just like a diffuser is to a car. If airflow is not smooth coming out, it can create a higher pressure zone and reduce flow through the ICs. In racing, air extraction is equally if not more important than air inlet, for all types of cooling. Thats why they put the gurney-flap (just like sportec mod for Radiator) just behind the ICs. you will achieve a sucking/extraction from behind the IC as well as forced air from the front. Who knows how much of a high pressure zone there really is behind the IC.

I would say in general its better to try to keep them.. how significant? who knows, maybe not much. If I get annoyed with trimming and fitting, personally, I will just leave them out. Of course I am leaving the AUX radiators out as well..

kevin
March 6th, 2012, 00:36
I did manage to get the driver's side post IC shrouding in after work today. Actually turned out pretty good. One down, one to go! Later this week...

kday
March 6th, 2012, 03:20
I think that was a good call... somebody designed those ducts for a reason. (Hopefully it wasn't the same guy who designed the N80 valve.)

Interesting observation about the "Gurney flap", Brav. I noticed those but didn't twig to their purpose.

Someone with enough curiosity and time on their hands could answer all sorts of questions on this subject with a differential manometer and some tubing.

Kgnast
February 23rd, 2013, 14:07
Anyone know the part number(s) of these ducts for passenger and driver side?

na1mt
February 23rd, 2013, 16:31
If you have to buy new ones I would just leave them out. The front air ducts were around $250 each.

Kgnast
February 23rd, 2013, 17:37
If you have to buy new ones I would just leave them out. The front air ducts were around $250 each.

It's not for me, Im trying to help out a fellow member. If they're $250 dealer list, I can prob get em around $180-$200 a piece.