PDA

View Full Version : Quality Problem.... Revo or Eurocharged ECU Tune?

cjargo
March 2nd, 2012, 17:29
I'm wondering "Why all the Revo fans?" with gains of 45 ft.lbs. and 65 bhp. From the stats I've seen "Bang for the buck!", eurocharged walks away the better deal, right? Or am I missing something here. Sooo I rang-up the Revo tech hotline, who said (Paraphrasing) "The numbers are baseline numbers. When the Revo tech flashes the ECU, he has the ability to affect the different perimeters of the tune, thus, a performance tune. Due to numerous variables, performance numbers will vary due to altitude, current temperature, octane, ect." UGH! It's such a leap of faith with Revo. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ben916
March 2nd, 2012, 17:43
Wait for Mark and Chris to chime in @ REVO.

hahnmgh63
March 2nd, 2012, 18:49
Revo is adjustable when the installer sets up the program, he can adjust Boost & Timing but most just go with the defaults. The end user can also adjust the Boost & Timing if you purchase a SPS Select tool from Revo, you install a program on your computer and hook up the SPS tool and adjust the setting on the device (3 different settings can be programmed) then you just take it to your car and plug it in, turn on the ign and wait about 10 seconds until it beeps. As some logs have shown, Revo tends to be slightly lean at the higher boost settings and the Fuel curves are non-adjustable for the RS6 and any ME7 Motronic car with the SPS Select tool. I use an aftermarket program (happens to be made by REVO, and it's free) called Lemmiwinks to richen my fuel curves slightly.

Brav
March 2nd, 2012, 20:49
I have the tune, but my car has not been running tip -top (due to the various vacuum leaks I have found during my manifold surgery). I know when I first installed it, ran like a bat out of hell. Then my power would pull back.. not limp mode but no guts. It was doing this before on occaision however, but not as severe. I suspect the higher boost exacerbated the existing issues. I should have her buttened up this weekend and I can comment more!

4everRS
March 2nd, 2012, 21:18
Can't really go wrong between the two. Revo's ability to "dial in" is pretty neat.

Brav
March 2nd, 2012, 22:21
Can't really go wrong between the two. Revo's ability to "dial in" is pretty neat.

True.. I run mine full rich to be safe.

sx3mac
March 2nd, 2012, 22:53
For the REVO tune what are they turning the boost up to when they do increase it over stock. Or better question what is the safe ammount of boost you can push our stock motors up to?

hahnmgh63
March 2nd, 2012, 23:53
Brav, the bad news is that the Fuel setting in the Revo software doesn't do a think over the baseline they have set. You can change the setting in the SPS program but the car doesn't take it, Revo doesn't change the fueling on any ME7 Motronic. It is in the Revo handbook and I've talked to one of their guys about it that is why I use Lemmiwinks. Their fueling profile will work fine up to a boost setting of about 6~7 but gets a little lean after that. I did a lot of logging for D. Hall a couple of years ago at various Boost & Timing settings and can verify the lack of Fueling adjustability and the lean situation at higher boost settings, I must have done 30 logs in all. That is how with a little investigating and talking to Revo I went with the Lemmiwinks program as Revo wasn't willing to invest any time in the small C5 RS6 community and I had heard of the Lemmiwinks from the S4/RS4 crowd. Setting 9 or setting 1 in Fueling with Revo is all the same on our cars :(

Cjargo, when some of us went to Revo years ago it was the best for the price at the time, a reputable software company but at 1/3 the price of MTM or APR. APR has come down a little since then but it is still expensive. I do like the adjustability of the Revo but if Eurocharged or Viper will build a custom program for me from my Vagcom logs with other custom things like Catless & SAI system removed all coded out then I may just swap to one of them.

Brav
March 3rd, 2012, 01:59
Yea now that you mention it, I do remember this being told to me.

Amar
March 3rd, 2012, 02:25
Viper or MRC for me, get much better reports then Revo here in the UK.

lswing
March 3rd, 2012, 16:16
Mark, thanks for mentioning the SPS tool. With that I will at least be able to see what my boost and timing is set at. Hopefully. As I've mentioned in the past, I've never been able to get logs as my RT software disconnects randomly. I think it might be a bad cable and will go back to trying once the car is out of the shop. My car was feeling as if it was pulling timing in the summer months, which I attributed to not enough fuel. Since the winter showed up and I got the IC's cleaned, the issue went away almost. I'm hoping that the addition of the water meth kit this week will reduce it completely. Making me think it was a heat on detonation and octane issue?

I still wonder how much of the issue is attributed to not enough fuel, heat, or not enough octane...

Edit; The car runs damn strong, bat out of hell, so I do want to stick with the Revo, just needs that last bit of fine tuning as it's on the ragged edge at times...